Die Another Day - Madonna
You Know My Name - Chris Cornell

Which one(s) are your favorite?

Comments

• sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I have a rather ecclectic mix of style in my top 5:

1) James Bond Theme - This one started it all and has been used in some way, shape or form in all of the movies. It's easily the most recognizable and has stood the test of time so I guess this would have to be number 1 for me.

2) Live and Let Die by Sir Paul - Love the energy level in this one. Just a classic rock song even if it wasn't tied to Bond.

3) On Her Majesty's Secret Service composed by Barry - This was a great musical theme and provided a great backdrop to one of my favorite opening credits in the series.

4) You Know My Name by Chris Cornell - I know the camp is pretty divided on this one but WOW! This one just grabbed me.

5) Surrender by KD Lang - OK, OK...I know it was an end credit song. BUT...it SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN OPENING CREDIT SONG!!!! When I see Babs and Michael in the next life I am going to ask them the same thing Jay Leno asked Hugh Grant after the Devine Brown incident, "What the hell were you thinking?"

Just my 2 cents...
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • saint-antoinesaint-antoine CanadaPosts: 209MI6 Agent
    My vote goes to: "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" by Barry. Like Shatterhand67 I think that it was a great musical theme and provided a great backdrop to one of the great opening credits in the series.
  • francisco1974francisco1974 Posts: 13MI6 Agent
    Put me dowm for a vote with "Diamonds Are Forever" by Shirley Bassey. Read somewhere it is Steven Spielberg favorite too!
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    1) "Nobody Does It Better" by Carly Simon.

2) "Live and Let Die" by Paul McCartney.

3) "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" composed by John Barry.

4) "A View To A Kill" by Duran Duran.

5) "James Bond Theme"
  • SPECTREagent-1SPECTREagent-1 Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    Goldeneye by Tina Turner
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited November 2009
    As I have said, Live and Let Die is my favourite. I will now give my reasoning.

It has stood the test of time. I love instrumentals in songs, and this song has a killer tune throughout. The song incorporates so many moods of Bond in it. Romance of the calm unforgettable opening piano opening of - "When you were young, and your heart was an open book..." to the raw threatening violence tone of the main theme.
  • SharpeSharpe Posts: 84MI6 Agent
    You Only Live Twice - Nancy Sinatra
    A View to a Kill - Duran Duran
    Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
    You Know My Name - Chris Cornell

These would be my top 4, in that order. An odd selection but these are the ones that resonate the most with me.
  • Polycarp61Polycarp61 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I'm not sure if I have posted this previously because right in the middle I clicked on SWC because I wasn't sure what it was, and when I tried to return I got a 'page expired' window and had to come back.

Having said all that, I have a question. There is an instrumental song of Pink Floyd's that I listen to a lot that sounds like James Bond music. I believe it is "Is There Anybody Out There?" There are some lyrics and then it goes into an ominous instrumental w/ a classical style guitar played mostly in a minor. It sounds like some theme music that might have been played in a scene where Bond is being stealthy at night or something. Can anyone tell me if this music was actually used in a James Bond film? Thank you for your reply in advance.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Definitely not.
  • domin007domin007 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    I'm still working my way through all the Bond films, but so far, I'd have to say my favorite song titles go in this order (judging the songs on musicality and text):

1. Live and Let Die
    2. Diamonds Are Forever (and the remix by Kanye West is pretty sweet as too!)
    3. Goldfinger (love the brass intruments!)
    4. From Russia With Love
    5. On Her Majesty's Secret Service (although the song: We Have All the Time in the World is by far my most favoured Bond tune!)
    6. You Only Live Twice
    7. Thunderball
    8. Dr. No

Currently, I'm watching the Man with the Golden Gun and I'd say it's the worst..."who will he bang?" - seriously??!! ?:)
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Would also have to go with "Live & Let Die" the mood swings & sheer frenetic energy of this song more than compensate for the inclusion of what is, even by the standards of Macca's post-Beatles work a hideously ungrammatical line in the lyric.
    I have "a certain regard" for "Thunderball", to this day I have no idea whether the "he" referred to in the lyric is Bond,Largo or Blofeld.
    The description fits all of them thereby highlighting the fact that Bond & his adversaries have more in common than might be considered desirable. Fleming tried to get this point across in TSWLM without any great success, so it's all the more impressive that it gets done in a 3 minute song.
    My guilty pleasure would have to be "The Living Daylights" A wonderfully atmospheric song which invokes powerful memories of the woman I was in at the time. Lyrically it's complete gibberish, but you can't have everything. :)
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    In no particular order, my Top 5

AVTAK
    YKNMN
    GF
    TB
    OHMSS
    Is there any way we can amend our posts after posting? My previous post on this thread contains what is possibly the most embarrassing freudian slip I have ever made.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Seahawk wrote:
    Is there any way we can amend our posts after posting? My previous post on this thread contains what is possibly the most embarrassing freudian slip I have ever made.
    You can simply go to the post in question and hit "Edit". But please, I beg you, don't change the original post -- the freudian slip is very funny! :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Seahawk wrote:
    You can simply go to the post in question and hit "Edit". But please, I beg you, don't change the original post -- the freudian slip is very funny! :))
    Okay, I shall leave it for now but I'm sure I can't imagine what I was thinking of. Thanks for the input.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    These are my favourites.
    • Goldfinger - Shirley Bassey
    • On Her Majesty's Secret Service - (Composed by) John Barry
    • We have all the time in the world - Lewis Armstrong (Not a title song, But ohh well)
    • Live and Let Die - Paul McCartney & Wings
    • Nobody Does it Better - Carly Simon
    • Tommorow Never Dies - Sheryl Crow

'Another Way To Die' is growing on me now :p So this one day could be in my top songs.
  • double0seven7double0seven7 Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    The Living Daylights by a-ha without a doubt.
  • agent_at_the_matrixagent_at_the_matrix Posts: 5MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    My favorite is still

Duran Duran - A view to a kill

My impression: The bond songs only became weaker since then...
  • bacaretbacaret ArizonaPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    1. live and let die
    2. thunderball
    3. on her majesty secret service
  • GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I agree with Seahawk (notwithstanding that nice "slip") and double0seven7. The Living Daylights is a great song and still my favorite. It is very atmospheric both in that it is very 80s but also because it has that same Cold-War-spy-type feel as the film.

I would, however, respectfully disagree with Seahawk regarding the lyrics. Although they don't make great sense as prose (not many Bond title songs can boast otherwise), they help elicit that drab, dreary, lonely, cold, espionage feel that reminds me of the "defection" scene. "Comes the morning and the headlights fade in rain." That is as good as it gets, in my opinion...
  • the headlightthe headlight Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    Yeah, The Living Daylights, I can listen to it over and over again. I originally liked A View to a Kill more but after a while that can get a little tired whereas the billion layers of percussion in The Living Daylights and the superior singing (Simon LeBon never had the best singing voice) made me eventually like TLD the best.
  • Mr BoldmanMr Boldman Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang by Dionne Warwick. Yes, I know it wasn't the song eventually used in 'Thunderball', but it should have been.
  • falconblueskyfalconbluesky Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    The soundtrack to 'Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' by John Barry (1975 recording on vinyl) is just great, and oozes Bond. From OHMSS the theme to the downhill ski action (again by JB) and the fabulous 'We Have All The Time In The World' as sung by Satchmo (Louis Armstrong)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    The soundtrack to 'Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' by John Barry (1975 recording on vinyl) is just great, and oozes Bond. From OHMSS the theme to the downhill ski action (again by JB) and the fabulous 'We Have All The Time In The World' as sung by Satchmo (Louis Armstrong)

A good choice of vintage JB, falconbluesky, but Jon Barry didn't record a version of "Mr Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" in 1975- I'm guessing this is a 1975 release/repackaging.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    1. AVTAK - Duran Duran
    2. TLD - A-Ha

I really like LTK too.

Both very well written. I love the synth noise in AVTAK then the music stops and starts again like a machine!

Worst: MWTHGG is pretty awful and Ive never really liked TB all that much and All Time High is average.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • maddogmaciasmaddogmacias Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    BEST
    1. nobody does it better
    2. moonraker
    3. for your eyes only

WORST
    golnedeye
    a view to a kill
    TMWTGG
    TND
    TWINE