New Fanfic on the way.

scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
Just a little heads up -I'm writing a new fanfic at the moment which if everything goes to plan should be up by August. After that has gone live I will then want to start focusing on a new collaborative novel. So if you are wondering why it has not been mentioned yet -that is why. ;)

All those interested in taking part in a new collaborative novel let me know and as time gets nearer we can then start to organise things.

Also I was wondering about having a collection of short stories put on to the site. If say maybe five or so ajb members got together we could produce five short stories to be brought together ala For your Eyes Only. Just a thought.
Anyway that's all for now -let me know if you want to take part in either project.
Jason.

Comments

• KillmasterKillmaster Roanoke, Virginia USAPosts: 9MI6 Agent
    i actually have just completed a 007 short story ("Duty Before Honor") and was trying to decide what to do with it ... how would i go about submitting it?
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    Killmaster wrote:
    i actually have just completed a 007 short story ("Duty Before Honor") and was trying to decide what to do with it ... how would i go about submitting it?

Just sent you a PM.
  • Thomas CrownThomas Crown Posts: 119MI6 Agent
    I would be happy to help in the writing of a fan fiction. Feel free to contact me with details.
    I would be happy to help in the writing of a fan fiction. Feel free to contact me with details.

Will do. Like I say my own new novella is in production at the mo and should be online early August providing everything goes according to plan. Then the latter part of August I will organise the collaborative novel.

As for the collection of five short stories -I will announce the brief soon outlining what it is we are looking for then people can submit their stories. This will be almost like a literary competition with the best five tales being chosen. I will not be including a story of my own -but will write an introduction for the project.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Glad to hear that you have a new fan fiction in production, sc1. I have also been working on a new tale of my own, I got off to a good start but have been unable to work on it in the last couple of weeks. I need to keep momentum though, as it is going to be a longer tale than any of my previous work. It is set in the 50s, between DAF and FRWL.

I will definitely do a short story to submit - looking forward to that, but for now I eagerly await your own fanfic and try to make good progress on mine!
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Glad to hear that you have a new fan fiction in production, sc1. I have also been working on a new tale of my own, I got off to a good start but have been unable to work on it in the last couple of weeks. I need to keep momentum though, as it is going to be a longer tale than any of my previous work. It is set in the 50s, between DAF and FRWL.

I will definitely do a short story to submit - looking forward to that, but for now I eagerly await your own fanfic and try to make good progress on mine!

As for the five story project -I'd like to create a nice little anthology -that will give an interesting variation to our readers. We just need to come up with a good angle.
    As for you Golrush -I'm really pleased you are writing a longer work -your last one was brilliant IMO. My new one has a twist and if worked right should make it into an interesting if still formulaic thriller. So far I've written the first third set in Japan -which has been interesting -my other locations are Andorra and somewhere in Argentina. The climax should be exciting if worked right. I just hope my writing skills are upto scratch as this is probably the hardest tale I've written since The Great Chrysanthemum -although the most enjoyable. :D
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    I'm looking forward to reading your new fan-fic, Sc1.

BTW, I think that short story collection is a great idea. I am definitely interested in contributing to it. It's just that I have so many things going on right now that it may be hard to find time to write anything, but if we're talking about the August time frame, things may have settled down for me by then.
    I'm looking forward to reading your new fan-fic, Sc1.

BTW, I think that short story collection is a great idea. I am definitely interested in contributing to it. It's just that I have so many things going on right now that it may be hard to find time to write anything, but if we're talking about the August time frame, things may have settled down for me by then.

The Short Story Anthology I expect to try and have sorted by September -so if you do want to contribute you have nearly all of this month and all of August. As for The Collaborative novel that will be initial planning in August with the commencememnt of the first draft towards the end of that month or the beginning of September -with hopefully completion in time for early next year -and if possible for New Year itself -although I realise that might be quite a tough deadline to meet.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    An anthology novel sounds like a great idea...I have a short story which I need to re-work and finish. Hopefully I can complete it in time for consideration! :)
    darenhat wrote:
    An anthology novel sounds like a great idea...I have a short story which I need to re-work and finish. Hopefully I can complete it in time for consideration! :)

Excellent! I'm looking forward to this project when the time is right. I think it could the first of several collections if the first collection goes down well. :D
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I'll be looking forward to reading the new fanfic.

As for the collaborative novel (what is it now, Novel 7?), it feels like it's coming too early, but IIRC we're usually working on it by now. I know at the end of OM, I had some thoughts regarding things to do for this one, but I'll dig 'em up when this thing starts to get under way a little bit more.
    DAWUSS wrote:
    I'll be looking forward to reading the new fanfic.

As for the collaborative novel (what is it now, Novel 7?), it feels like it's coming too early, but IIRC we're usually working on it by now. I know at the end of OM, I had some thoughts regarding things to do for this one, but I'll dig 'em up when this thing starts to get under way a little bit more.

If We want to get novel 7 ready for the New Year it is usually around august we need to to start thinking about it as it always takes three to four months to get it written and edited and ready to be added to the site at the apropriate time. -still if any one else thinks it would be too early we could always hold off until Easter next year -but that seems a long time off!
  • deliciousdelicious SydneyPosts: 371MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    I would like to participate in a collaborative novel but can we create the plot structure before writing the full narrative. The last novel got way off course from the original theme and concept and fell into a lot of cliches that we said we'd try to avoid.

We could round-robin the plot structure and character sketching a few times until we have something solid and then flesh in the details. Kind of work it up like an oil painting instead of trying to paint the finished product in one go.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    delicious wrote:
    I would like to participate in a collaborative novel but can we create the plot structure before writing the full narrative. The last novel got way off course from the original theme and concept and fell into a lot of cliches that we said we'd try to avoid.

We could round-robin the plot structure and character sketching a few times until we have something solid and then flesh in the details. Kind of work it up like an oil painting instead of trying to paint the finished product in one go.

I'm probably not going to be able to participate this time round, but I think that is a good idea you have there, delicious. Your comments about the last novel are valid, although I was still quite pleased with the novel. But I think a little more forward planning could certainly help make novel 7 one of the best of the group novels.
    I'm still adding the final touches to my tale -its been difficult as there have been many distractions recently like my parents visiting from up country. I hope to complete it by late next week however and then we can start looking into the way of planning the new collaborative one. Such a detailed planning process will however be hard because of the time that we have as individuals to contribute -plus we will be very hard pressed to complete in time for the January 1st deadline. but if clear suggestions that can help are made -then maybe we will be able to proceed. But if the planning process is too complicated then the writing process will not work. I think for collaborative novels its more about doing -whereas individual tales can be planned more carefully.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I haven't thought out a plot yet. I do have some things that I would like to see in the next novel. I know the last novel we wanted to keep things rather small-scale and serious, and eventually we started to fumble around before settling on a return to the formula.

One thing that I do think would be a nice thing to see is a developed romance as opposed to just featuring the mandatory sex scene between Bond and the female lead. I'm not saying turn our next novel into something fit for eHarlequin instead of Bond, but I would like to see an actual romance develop. Maybe give it a significant amount of novel time.
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    I would like to participate again in the next novel, but why does it have to be done by January 1st? I honestly don't see us completing it in such a short period of time.

In any case, it might be a good idea to think of a basic outline before writing the story. It might turn out better that way. I do have an idea for a plot that I was thinking about the other day...

What if there was a man who studied for many years to become the best medical doctor in the world, only for the sole purpose of learning to commit the perfect murder? Our villain has some sort of vendetta against MI6 and against Bond in particular. He's working within MI6 as a doctor, and Double-O Agents and other intelligence providers have been mysteriously dying of strange health causes, yet no one can pinpoint exactly why these people have died. Autopsies uncover nothing, no one can prove anything, and no one knows if there really is a mole, much less who is behind it... Bond is the only one who has suspicions, and he has to work against his own orders to uncover the truth. Bond may even have already been administered his own expiration date by the Good Doctor... It's up to him to figure it out--before he's the next victim.

...Any thoughts?
    I would like to participate again in the next novel, but why does it have to be done by January 1st? I honestly don't see us completing it in such a short period of time.

Usually the collaborative novel is available during the Christmas holidays purely as a "Christmas Gift" to the sites members. Anyway you are right I don't think a new tale will be ready for Jan 1st. I'm still rewriting my own short story/novella -which I had hoped to have finished by now -but will porbably not complete for another couple of weeks yet.

In the mean time I'm interested in creating the collection of short stories -so perhaps individuals can work on those -with a view to that being released for Christmas instead -and then maybe the collaborative novel can be read in the spring.

Those of you who want to submit a story for the collection of four or five tales please pm me and I will give them details of what I'm looking for.
    Cheers,
    Sc1 :)
    Id like to do a collaborative novel featuring a villain who is a decadent voluptuary and strongly anti-environmental. I mentioned him a while back. The opening scene would be a whale hunt after which a helicopter flies some fresh whale meat from the whaling ship to a restaurant in Japan where it is served to the villain. The story could have settings like a champagne winery, a foie gras goose farm, a truffle farm (Bond being pursued by truffle farmers who think he's a truffle thief). The villain is trying to protect his business interests in oil, coal, nuclear energy, non-biodegradable plastics and other anti-environmental industries.
  • HitchHitch UKPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    Perhaps AJB might take a sabbatical and start a collaborative novel in the new year? I sense that one or two members are a little jaded and need a new challenge. A short story collection would be a new venture for AJB and might provide a shot in the arm for the fanfic forum. It would also be easier to organise. :)
  • The Sly FoxThe Sly Fox USAPosts: 467MI6 Agent
    edited August 2008
    I really like Delicious' idea for a villain. I think an anti-environmentalist would make a perfect villain for a Bond story. We can rather easily despise him, while he still possesses that certain air of elegance that all Bond villains require. Sort of like the man who drives an old Lincoln to work every day. We know it uses gasoline like water, yet we can't help but admire the man for knowing how to--and for willing to pay a high price for a life of distinguished luxury.

But I think this villain would be better suited to a full-length novel instead of a short story. I don't think his character would get enough development in just a few pages. However now that I think about it, my idea for a doctor with evil intentions might make for a good and simple short story. I'll start playing around with such an idea tonight to see if it goes anywhere. I just have one question: Q is an expert in forensics, am I correct? I'll be needing him soon... :v
    Your doctor character reminds me of Dr Kaufmann from TND who is one of the creepiest and funniest sub-villains I've ever seen. He has a Doctorate in Forensic Medicine and torture is only his hobby but he's very good at it. He is particularly good at the celebrity overdose.
    Ok -firstly I must apologise -my own personal project - The Assassin's Memorandum has had to come to a halt -and well be put on the backburner for a bit.
    My wife is pregnant (Fantastic news I know. :D ) -and consequently my free time is mostly taken up dealing with various other more important matters and I have to prioritise accordingly. However the short story collection is something I want to concentrate on now with regards to AJB rather than my own tale -so hopeful contributers please pm me about you tales ASAP and give me a rough idea of when those tales will be completed. I already have one story that has been submitted - I hope to have five tales in this collection when finished. I will write a brief introduction for the collection when the stories have been collated.
    Those looking forward to my story -I hope to go back to it when time allows me too.
    Cheers guys,
    Jason.
  • hacketthackett Odds change the numbers remainPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    The collaborative novel sounds like a good challenge. I would like to contribute.

My first story Edge of Treason, is getting a good amount of downloads.

All feedback gratefully recieved.

My latest story "Silhouettes and Shadows" is almost complete.

Here's a quick synopsis
    When an otherwise impeccable financial source funds a biological weapons transaction…

…James Bond is sent to investigate the mysterious new owner of the Swiss bank responsible…

…and uncovers a powerful secret organisation that has its roots enmeshed

in the Third Reich and its sights set on challenging the superpowers of today.

The race is on to stop the weapon being deployed, but who can Bond trust?

A disgraced DOJ agent wanted by the FBI

An Israeli scientist at odds with the CIA

Even his old friend Felix Leiter cannot be relied upon in a world controlled by silhouettes and shadows

Let me know if I can help