New Poster

Comments

• bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    A large factor in the photoshop versus traditional medium is $$$. It takes much longer for an artist to craft something on canvas than it does photoshop. While there is still a design element in planning the final look of the graphic, it is much easier to manipulate the final image for color, composition, typography, etc. in the computer. Whereas, a traditional artist, if he's lucky, can make any last minute changes through painstaking cut and paste techniques, but it's still not simple. As long as the work can be done faster, and less riskier, on the computer (and thus less costly) photoshopped posters are here to stay.

I'm not sure it's that simple: poster designers aren't going to kiss goodbye to money they could have earned if they'd painted the thing. I don't really know, but people do seem to think that there's no effort going into photoshop and photographic work, and that just ain't true. I know an illustrator who produces purely painted images, and he has to create them in a short space of time, just like photoshop artists. And both of them have to think of the concepts behind the images, which is a huge part of their success.
    Mind you, you do get some photoshop disasters; like the Dark Knight character posters which abandon perspective altogther. But then the likenesses of Sean Connery weren't always perfect on the painted Bonds... :)

In a sense, it is that simple. I do graphic design work for a living, creating both traditional and digital art for various clients. While the workload is the same in the concept stage, the execution and re-touching of the actual project execution are leagues apart in terms of the two mediums. Often times a traditional artist is selected for a project based on their unique style - but in the case where that element is not as important, clients will prefer a solution that promotes more flexibility and less billing hours.

Technology. Sucks. {:)

Just wished they'd kept the sunglasses on Craig, it's such a bad-ass image with 'em. :v Without lessens the impact IMO, but oh well.

Looking forward to what they come up with for the main poster design, they seem to be heading towards CR country with the QOS teasers but I wonder... we might get something a bit more old school/montagey yet.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,994Quartermasters
    edited July 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    Conversely, you shouldn't photoshop yourself into a corner purely for the sake of striving to be 'modern,' which is in itself a means of 'forcing' something, in my opinion.

I don't get your point- they've chosen the photographic method (and the CR teaser was much more hard photographic that most film posters out there) because it suits the film and it's currently a big part of the language for speaking to filmgoers. They're not 'photoshopping themselves into a corner' purely to appear 'modern'; they're actually doing it photographically because it's modern and it's applicable. You just seem to have put a negative spin on the grammar of what they've done without saying why it's bad!

?:) I haven't put a 'negative spin' on anything; I'm merely pointing out that there are alternative methods that myself and other posters recall fondly. My challenge is purely to you (not Eon!), and your assertion that painted art wouldn't work for what you deem 'modern'; that it has nothing to say in the context of the project at hand, or that you cannot pick a medium you fancy and shape it---not 'force it' 8-) ---to achieve a positive PR outcome. Therefore, your example of using the letters 'y,' 'l,' 'u' and 'f' to spell 'Bond'---because you haven't used them lately :)) ---is, with respect, not germane to the discussion in my opinion. At any rate, it bespeaks a rigidity of thought to which I simply cannot relate.

I've said at least twice that I like what Eon have done with the poster art for CR and QoS. Can't be any plainer than that! :)

Darenhat's point about the economics behind such decisions (i.e., how much will it cost) makes sense---Eon writes the checks---but artistically, I maintain that any other limits or restrictions, other than financial, reside solely within the reach and grasp of the artists themselves. Once Eon greenlights an idea, it happens...for good or ill.

If Eon decides to pay for a gigantic hollowed-out volcano set, they do it. If they want to rig a mock-up Lotus Esprit to act like a submarine...done. If they want to spend a bit of money for a classic-look, 'painted art' poster campaign for a future Bond film, same thing. All I've been saying is: I hope they do. Perhaps in 2012, for a gala 50th Anniversary Celebration!
    emtiem wrote:
    I could say that the fire service have painted themselves into a corner by using firefighting methods purely to appear 'heroic'- sounds like I think it's bad but I'm not saying why! :)

:s I suppose you could; only you would. I wouldn't...and didn't. Still, it's easily worthy of your ever-growing 'Greatest Hits' collection!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Looks like there's another one now....I like this one. {[]

Wouldn't EON release it as a poster before they authorize its use as a refrigerator magnet? And why all the blood splatter? Ecch!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:

Wouldn't EON release it as a poster before they authorize its use as a refrigerator magnet? And why all the blood splatter? Ecch!

With the way food prices are, blood on the fridge might help matters ;) :))
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,761Chief of Staff
    Hardyboy wrote:

I saw this on ebay a few days ago and I rather like it. Like Hardyboy says though.... I'd expect to see it as an official poster before a fridge magnet :))

Perhaps it could could come from the far-east market ?
    YNWA 97
    That eBayer seems to make his own fridge magnets. Not badly priced, I have 2 on my fridge. I doubt they are official though, but do like them. Oh well...

:))
    That eBayer seems to make his own fridge magnets. Not badly priced, I have 2 on my fridge. I doubt they are official though, but do like them. Oh well...

:))

Yea, I have some from him too - definately not official but worth the money.
    YNWA 97
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    I really hope that these are all fakes as I find them really uninspiring.
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent

I dont, its terrible. I hope the real thing is better than this.
    There has been a new 1-sheet out for a couple of days now - again, I like it and I'll be getting it soon.
    YNWA 97
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    There has been a new 1-sheet out for a couple of days now - again, I like it and I'll be getting it soon.

are you referring to the desert/machine gun one?

Yep - they have produced a 1-sheet to compliment the quad poster.
    YNWA 97
    Does anyone have a link to the one sheet?
    I would love to purchase it.

{[]
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:

Yep - they have produced a 1-sheet to compliment the quad poster.

I'm really sorry to sound completley stupid {:) but what is a 1 sheet and a quad poster?

I would like the link to the new desert machine gun poster too please!
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Found the link to buy one on mi6.co.uk

I think the quad is the big poster that they have in cinemas, usually a landscape orientation, whereas the one sheet is a smaller poster usually in portrait configuration.

Other fans know if I am correct?

I will get the one sheet if that's right {[]
    Found the link to buy one on mi6.co.uk

I think the quad is the big poster that they have in cinemas, usually a landscape orientation, whereas the one sheet is a smaller poster usually in portrait configuration.

Other fans know if I am correct?

I will get the one sheet if that's right {[]

but the desert poster would be much better in a Landscape orientation to me....but off to MI6 right now.

Can we get that same link up on here?
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    Lexi wrote:
    Can we get that same link up on here?

Yes - here is the link

Sorry about not 'linking' before - I really am a very lazy Moderator :# :))
    YNWA 97
    Lexi wrote:
    I'm really sorry to sound completley stupid {:) but what is a 1 sheet and a quad poster?

No need to be sorry at all - we all have to learn sometime and at least you have the intelligence to ask and not fumble in the dark like the rest of us :))

In simple terms a Quad poster is in landscape - approx 30x40 or this example

A 1-sheet is in portrait - approx 27x41 or this example

I hope that helped.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

I hope that helped.

Thanks Sir Miles. Always good to learn something new! :)
    Lexi wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I hope that helped.

It's always nice to teach the ladies ;) :D
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lexi wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I hope that helped.

It's always nice to teach the ladies ;) :D

I could reply to that...but I think it would be slightly off topic :v
    Aaaggghhh!
    Was my reply explaining the difference not helpful at all???

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
    Aaaggghhh!
    Was my reply explaining the difference not helpful at all???

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

no, no, no, forgive my manners! I should have thanked you too, forgive me, but when someone goes to the lengths of showing pictures as well...
    how's the holiday going? Anyone asked you if your the new Bond yet?
    He he. Thanks Lexi, only joking.
    Just about ready to leave. Sitting here in my linnen Bahama Arrival suit. Gonna get to LGW early so I can strut about like Bond!

{[]
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    Does anyone know a reliable source to get hold of the Quad posters, normally I can find them somewhere, but I'm not a great fan of Ebay bidding, I prefer Buy it Now! I haven't been on the ball for this film...
    Simon
    SiCo wrote:
    Does anyone know a reliable source to get hold of the Quad posters, normally I can find them somewhere, but I'm not a great fan of Ebay bidding, I prefer Buy it Now! I haven't been on the ball for this film...

Alas no X-(

I've been looking over the internet - using the usual sources - for awhile now, but all to no avail !
    It would seem that, for now, ebay is the only place to get them (unless you nip down to your local cinema and beg them for theirs) and prices can be steep.
    The last teaser Quad I saw on there went for over £30 and the last main Quad for nearly £50 !!
    Lets hope these start to filter through pretty soon.
    YNWA 97
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    Don't worry...in one or two years time you're likely to score one on eBay for a low price. Recently double-sided C.R. quads have sold for approx. 10 quid.
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    It's really frustrating me they are so expensive at the moment! I want them in my collection but don't want to pay the hefty fee. The gamble I suppose is will there be more available and if you do wait a year or so will they actually go down in price.

What do others do?

I notice on Movie Market some Batman Begins posters are unbelievably priced at the moment. I don't know if Movie Market is a fair representation of price though. I suppose a fair price is whatever you feel it's worth. I just wish they'd come down in price!
    Simon
    SiCo wrote:
    It's really frustrating me they are so expensive at the moment! I want them in my collection but don't want to pay the hefty fee. The gamble I suppose is will there be more available and if you do wait a year or so will they actually go down in price.

What do others do?

I notice on Movie Market some Batman Begins posters are unbelievably priced at the moment. I don't know if Movie Market is a fair representation of price though. I suppose a fair price is whatever you feel it's worth. I just wish they'd come down in price!

At the moment I'll sit and wait in the hope that some poster company gets them in while I keep an eye out on ebay.
    I used to get all my posters from a memorabilia fair in Manchester, but since ebay became popular this event withered and died :(
    YNWA 97