Where to Next?

Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
I've just finished reading my way through the Fleming novels.

What alternate Bond authors do you recommend? Should I read them in the order of years they were written/released?

I saw Devil May Care at the book store tonight but didn't pick it up because I wasn't sure if the alternate authors have been using a continuous story line of their own. I don't want to inadvertently read a book that has a villain or ally making a second appearance, or read something that gives away a piece of a story from an earlier book.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I think for the most part they're standalone (I know Benson did have his trilogy), and I think some have a few references to events from Fleming's novels... I'm not 100% sure though
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I'd forget the follow-ups, the best of them still are not Fleming, and I think Bond had his finest run in the originals.

Go to LeCarre, Eric Ambler (he is GREAT) and Fleming's good friend Raymond Chandler. These will offer variety and damn fine writing.

I can't tell you how many times I've read the Fleming Bond novels - they are still my favorite relaxation reading. No matter what else you read those Fleming thrillers will still be there for you!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    The next one on your list should be Colonel Sun by Robert Markham (really Kingsley Amis) though it's somehow not as atmospheric to me as Fleming. It seems to follow on from Golden Gun.

Best for apeing the style is Christopher Wood's novelisations of the films The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker - highly enjoyable.

From then on, well, none of them are so great. I guess if you read them in chronological order you won't get any spoilers. Do a wikipedia search on John Gardner, Raymond Benson and I think that's it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    AJB has a list of the Bond novels for your reference here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/novels/

Although this list has not yet been updated to include Devil May Care...I'm honestly not sure if DMC belongs chronologically after TMWTGG or CS.

As mentioned, none of the continuation novels are on par with Fleming, but I enjoyed them all the same...even at their lowest (which is Gardner's Death is Forever IMO)
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    I'd forget the follow-ups, the best of them still are not Fleming, and I think Bond had his finest run in the originals.

Go to LeCarre, Eric Ambler (he is GREAT) and Fleming's good friend Raymond Chandler. These will offer variety and damn fine writing.

I can't tell you how many times I've read the Fleming Bond novels - they are still my favorite relaxation reading. No matter what else you read those Fleming thrillers will still be there for you!

Thanks for the new authors 7289. Judging by the response so far to this thread I might investigate them and avoid the Bond follow ups. These authors do they all write spy thrillers? Do any of them offer character continuations etc?
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Smoke_13,

All of the authors I mentioned used continuing charecters, much like Fleming. The writing styles are very different though and that's what will make reading them fun, since you can always look back on Fleming and make comparisons. All are top notch writers so you won't be wasting your time.

LeCarre writes about British Intelligence, mostly using spy George Smiley. His novels are convoluted (in a good way) and feature alot of very realistic detail about the world of espionage.

Ambler, is more Fleming-like. His stories are "lighter" than Le Carre and fast paced. I recently read "The Light of Day" and it's one of the best books I have ever read. I am looking for the Ambler book James Bond reads in FRWL, "The Mask of Dimitrios".

Chandler, was a good friend of Ian Fleming's and he writes the stories that were adapted into the classic "film noir". His detective Phillip Marlowe was adapted for the screen by Bogart, Robert Mitchum and Dick Powell - great crime stories set in California of the 1930's to 1950's.

Again, you can't go wrong with any of the above and it's a blast comparing them with Fleming, so you can see exactly how James Bond stacks up with the best of the genre.
    I think I'll give this LeCarre a go. "Convoluted in a good way" is what sold it. If asked to describe myself, that's something I might have said.
  • Colonel JohnsColonel Johns Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 21MI6 Agent
    edited July 2008
    Hi Smoke_13,

Many years ago a high school English teacher saw me reading a Fleming novel, looked down his nose at me, and said "If you want to read about spies, read LeCarre or Deighton, not that drivel!"

While we all know he was dead wrong about Fleming, he was right about LeCarre and Deighton - both have produced some brilliant work (in my opinion, at least).

7289 already recommended LeCarre above. If you are looking for specific suggestions, the "Karla Trilogy" is wonderful ('Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', 'The Honourable Schoolboy', and 'Smiley's People').

Len Deighton falls somewhere between Fleming and LeCarre in style. I've always enjoyed his Samson series, especially the first three books: 'Berlin Game', 'Mexico Set', and 'London Match'.

If you decide to pick up either of these series I strongly encourage you to read them in order.

Happy reading!
    A tall youngish man in a dark blue suit, white shirt and black tie turned away from the window and came towards him.
    "Mr. James?" the man smiled thinly. "I'm Colonel, let's say - er - Johns."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the site, CJ. Canada? Not many from there on this board! {[]
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Colonel JohnsColonel Johns Ottawa, CanadaPosts: 21MI6 Agent
    Welcome to the site, CJ. Canada? Not many from there on this board! {[]

Thanks for the welcome, Napoleon - it's nice to be here. I checked out the forums on a few different sites and I really liked the "feel" of ajb007 - interesting topics, civilized discussion, and a cast of characters with a great deal of knowledge and passion for all things Bond.

I guess the beauty of the Internet is that whether you are in Ottawa, Omaha, or Oslo (or Kitchener, like my "neighbour" and fellow Canadian Smoke_13), you can find people with similar interests.
    A tall youngish man in a dark blue suit, white shirt and black tie turned away from the window and came towards him.
    "Mr. James?" the man smiled thinly. "I'm Colonel, let's say - er - Johns."
    Welcome aboard fellow Canadian! {[]{[] ...even if you likely are a Sens or Habs fan;)

Seiously, thanks for the second opinion on LeCarre. I'm coaching baseball tonight, and right after the game I'll head to the local Chapters to pick up his stuff.

Actually, it would be remiss if I didn't thank all the kind folks on this board for their quick input to this thread. I'm really looking forward to having some good spy reading in front of me again.