SPECTRE and Blofeld in future Bond films?

MrP009MrP009 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
Would you like to see SPECTRE and Blofeld (as well as other SPECTRE members) return in future James Bond movies?

I think these characters and their organization could be 'reimagined' somewhat for future films. In the past, they sort of becmae a bit corney and I would think the producers might feel they wouldn't suit the new Bond image. SPECTRE was one of those organizations where its leadership almost acknowledged themselves as evil villain. The more modern Bond should be facing people who, while doing bad things, believe that they are right and have some higher purpose. But a new SPECTRE could easily be re-written to be like this.

There would be lots of room for terrorism in future scripts. And revenge is something people always seek. Extortion could be used to gain resources to fund the terrorism.

I have a feeling we could see some old villains return one day. I think QOS will continue with the darker, more emotional, more human Bond that we saw in the last film. But over the next couple of films we might see something of a transition where Bond uses gadgets again, and deals with more flamboyant and ambitious enemies.

Comments

• JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    MrP009 wrote:
    Would you like to see SPECTRE and Blofeld (as well as other SPECTRE members) return in future James Bond movies?

I think these characters and their organization could be 'reimagined' somewhat for future films. In the past, they sort of becmae a bit corney and I would think the producers might feel they wouldn't suit the new Bond image. SPECTRE was one of those organizations where its leadership almost acknowledged themselves as evil villain. The more modern Bond should be facing people who, while doing bad things, believe that they are right and have some higher purpose. But a new SPECTRE could easily be re-written to be like this.

There would be lots of room for terrorism in future scripts. And revenge is something people always seek. Extortion could be used to gain resources to fund the terrorism.

I have a feeling we could see some old villains return one day. I think QOS will continue with the darker, more emotional, more human Bond that we saw in the last film. But over the next couple of films we might see something of a transition where Bond uses gadgets again, and deals with more flamboyant and ambitious enemies.

I think a more gadgety, flamboyant Bond would be a BIG mistake. The organization Bond is dealing with now is Spectre-like enough. There is no need to rehash the mistakes of the past.
    I, for one, need never see another wristwatch laser beam, killer satellite or rocket launching invisible car. That stuff is fine in video games. It doesn't belong in the new, more literate and believable Bond films.;)
  • MrP009MrP009 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    To be clear, I would not favor a full return to the gagety flamboyant Bond. But I do think that over time they could reintegrate some of the qualities of the earlier movies into the new Bond. There should be some gadgets, but they should be pretty real and believable. The invisible car was the height of corniness. It moved Bond into the area of science fiction, which was very silly.

Would you really not want to see the character of Q ever again?
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    I always felt Bloefeld was the weakest of the classic Bond supervillains. Maybe, because he was played by so many different actors. It was a toss-up to me, between Telly Savalas and Charles Gray, as to whom was the best. Pleasance would have entered into the foray, if not for the ridiculous make-up, and brief screen time.

If they should bring back Bloefeld(SPECTRE undoubtedly was alluded to in CR, so I have no doubt it shall return) they need to find an actor who will play him till he meets his demise, otherwise, a return to weakness. A Bond film is only as good as it's villain IMO.
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    i would love to see specter return:p
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,305MI6 Agent
    But how do you define Spectre? It could be any terrorist organisation (though I say that, it doesn't have a political agenda. Not sure if the new QoS crew do or not and dont' tell me). It's all in a name, as for having Blofeld back I do think reimagining him for the Craig era would be a step too far. That's if they have the rights to that character anyway.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • MooChaqaMooChaqa Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    If done correctly I think the return of SPECTRE would be brilliant.

CR is a reboot of the franchise after all and anything is possible. I agree with most of the previous comments regarding gadgetry etc although for me that doesn't apply to the return of Blofeld.

A Private organisation and not the political parallels in previous later Bond movies is the way to go imo.

"The first thing you should know about us is that we have people everywhere"

"What the hell is this organisation Bond? How can they be everywhere and we know nothing about them."

Come on I say!
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    I find the idea both plausible & attractive. We have already ascertained in CR that whoever the organisation that Bond finds himself up against are, Terrorism,Revenge & Extortion are all part of their M.O. Further to this, as with the SPECTRE of the original novels, their sole motivation seems to be to maximise their private profits by any means they deem to be necessary. Certainly it would be appealing if Blofeld were to be reimagined as something other than the big budget pantomime villain he became in the earlier films.
    If done correctly I think the return of SPECTRE would be brilliant.

CR is a reboot of the franchise after all and anything is possible. I agree with most of the previous comments regarding gadgetry etc although for me that doesn't apply to the return of Blofeld.

A Private organisation and not the political parallels in previous later Bond movies is the way to go imo.

"The first thing you should know about us is that we have people everywhere"

"What the hell is this organisation Bond? How can they be everywhere and we know nothing about them."

Come on I say!
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    It is pretty clear by now that there will be an antagonist organisation for Craig's Bond - it's called Quantum. It seems to be more secretive and subtle than SPECTRE was. In short, it seems to be more believable. I think this is the correct direction to go. Using a crimminal organisation is good for both tradition and story, but without rehashing good/bad memories from the past.
    It seems like QoS will be more traditional than CR. At least they will have the gunbarrel, siluettes of nude girls in the title sequence, some gadgets and humor. If they do it in moderation this can be a good thing. Remember that real spies use gadgets from time to time. Poison-tipped umbrellas, submashineguns camouflaged as suitcases and cameras hidden in everyday objects are not just the stuff of fiction!
    Number24 wrote:
    It is pretty clear by now that there will be an antagonist organisation for Craig's Bond - it's called Quantum. It seems to be more secretive and subtle than SPECTRE was. In short, it seems to be more believable. I think this is the correct direction to go. Using a crimminal organisation is good for both tradition and story, but without rehashing good/bad memories from the past.
    It seems like QoS will be more traditional than CR. At least they will have the gunbarrel, siluettes of nude girls in the title sequence, some gadgets and humor. If they do it in moderation this can be a good thing. Remember that real spies use gadgets from time to time. Poison-tipped umbrellas, submashineguns camouflaged as suitcases and cameras hidden in everyday objects are not just the stuff of fiction!

I'd swap nude-girls-in-the-title-sequence-some gadgets-and-humor-gunbarrel TM. for a well thought out antagonist, in the form of a criminal organisation running through several movies any day of the week.

Ok... so maybe not the gunbarrel. I still think CR's version of that was enough though.