OHMSS - FYEO coorelation?

Railer 505Railer 505 Albany, NYPosts: 61MI6 Agent
The very first scene of the film shows Bond looking at the grave of his wife, Teresa Bond, born 1942 died 1969. The first thing that came to mind is OHMSS, where the movie ends with the death of Bond's newlywed bride. Is there a coorelation?

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,884Chief of Staff
    Yes. There are a few theories; one is that originally FYEO was supposed to introduce a new actor and the producers thought it would be a good idea to establish a link to the past. The more likely reason, though, is that the film marks the tenth anniversary of the last appearance of Blofeld and the producers wanted to "kill" him to make the upcoming rival Bond film (which became Never Say Never Again) look unauthentic in comparison. Using Tracy's grave would be a reminder of who Blofeld is and why Bond hates him.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    I love that pre-title sequence. When Bond drops him down the smoke stack, Blofeld yells, "Mr. Bond, I will buy you a delicatessen!" (or words to that effect.) It cracks me up every time.
  • ycpchiefycpchief USA (PA)Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    ........And turns what should have been a dramatic and climactic moment into a joke. James Bond finally gets revenge, killing his wife's murderer and arch-enemy and it's played for laughs X-( . Terrible, terrible page in Bond history and one of the frustrating issues with FYEO. If only they had edited out some of the stupid one-liners and jokes. It's an otherwise solid movie.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,305MI6 Agent
    Well, why can't someone do that? Then flog it as a Never SAy McClory type thing. Could work, esp with a John Barry soundtrack pasted over.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017