The Living Daylights sucks with geography

Railer 505Railer 505 Albany, NYPosts: 61MI6 Agent
I must say this was one of the better bond films, but there were some mistakes made with geography that I found were just inexcusable. One mistake is where Bond crosses into Austria on the cello case makeshift sled. I learned that the border there is flat as a pancake despite Austria's mountainous terrain.

But by far most of all, right after the plane crashes and Bond drives off in the jeep, you see as sign saying "Karachi 250 km", "Islamabad 325 km". The two cities are actually about 1,140 km apart on a straight line, and probably much further when taking into account the complications of Pakistan's road network. I mean given how much work they put into that movie, how could they have not gotten it right?

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,883Chief of Staff
    Well, the script was written by Americans, and we're notoriously bad with Geography. To quote Jon Stewart on The Daily Show this week: "Oh, war--it's just God's way of teaching Americans Geography!"

(P.S. I am joking, friends. In fact, I got an A in Geography!)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    I'll take geography mistakes anyday over ficticious places like San Monique or Istmus city. It's not a new phenomenon for movies ot play fast and loose on geographical information.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    It seems like an inexcusable error...I can't say the same for the signs on the U.S. freeways that claim the next 'gas' or 'rest' area is 5 miles, when what they actually mean is the next EXIT to the gas station or rest area is 5 miles. You then have to go another 30 or so after that!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,733MI6 Agent
    Geography, and I'm not convinced that Afganistan actually looks like that at all!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,304MI6 Agent
    Well it doesn't does it.. it was filmed somewhere else. Afghanistan is all rocky, not Sahara bucket and spade desert.

Most of the Czech scenes were filmed in Austria including the defection and trams outside Maryam's apartment.

Ditto NSNA, the horseback in North Africa was in fact a place near Nice, where much of it was set. Saves on travelling expenses of course.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Walther PPKWalther PPK Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    All Of the scenes in Afghanistan were in reality filmed in Morocco,they even used a civilian airport for the Russian airbase.

As for the road sign,it does not really matter to me as I long ago learned to take information presented in non documentary film and television with a grain of salt.
  • Railer 505Railer 505 Albany, NYPosts: 61MI6 Agent
    Well I must say that despite scenes being filmed in the wrong countries, I didn't really take notice until I saw the Karachi/Islamabad sign towards the end. It made me wonder so I drew a line on Google Earth to see how far apart the two cities were and that alone made that sign with the distances wrong. But now that you tell me about Afghanistan and the fact that its not the desert as it is depicted in this movie I'm starting to take notice.