ITV1 South Bank Show Bond Special

GumboldGumbold LondonPosts: 102MI6 Agent
ITV1 is showing a South Bank Show Bond Special (currently earmarked for Sunday 2nd November but I suspect it will precede the release of Q of S). Here is the full press release:

THE SOUTH BANK SHOW: BOND

The world of Bond is uncovered in an exclusive profile of one of the most enduring icons of popular culture. The South Bank Show looks at the unrivalled impact of Bond, examines the longevity, success and impact of the character, and the creative and artistic aspects particular to the Bond brand.

The South Bank Show focuses on the cinematic vision for Bond and discovers why the Bond films have always been a major cultural event and captivated our imagination; and comes right up to date to demonstrate how the franchise has succeeded so spectacularly in creating a modern Bond.

Melvyn Bragg interviews the first iconic James Bond, Sir Sean Connery; and current Bond Daniel Craig on the set of the new film, Quantum of Solace. They discuss what it means to be Bond. The South Bank Show also talks to the cast in the new film including: new Bond Girl, Olga Kurylenko, new villain, Mathieu Amalric; as well as Dame Judi Dench who returns as M, and the director of Quantum of Solace, Marc Forster. The film discusses with the current composer David Arnold how and why Bond music is so iconic – and chats to Goldfinger’s Pussy Galore, Honor Blackman, about the changing role of women in Bond.

The South Bank Show talks to some of the key people who created Bond on the big screen, such as iconic Production Designer Ken Adam, who designed the look of Bond right from the start with Dr No; and composer John Barry.

The South Bank Show talks to Barbara Broccoli (TBC) and Michael G Wilson, the Producers of Bond, to gain a real, first hand insight into the uniqueness of Bond. To what extent is there a real weight of responsibility and an onus to remain true to the original vision? What is expected from the franchise, and what have been the recent major changes to make it and keep it contemporary? How real does Bond want and need to be?

With exclusive access to clips from the new Bond film, Quantum of Solace, The South Bank Show looks at the defining features and requirements for a Bond for our time.

Presented and edited by Melvyn Bragg
Produced and directed by Suzannah Wander.

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    Oh that sounds rather good- thanks for the info. Getting Sean to talk Bond is a bit of a coup too.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    one for the recordable dvd drive me thinks - we may even get it on extended QOS release DVD
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    {[] ooh, thanks for that. I will defineatly be recording/watching that.

Must make note in calendar...(a Daniel Craig one of course!)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Sweet As :)
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • GumboldGumbold LondonPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    This show has now been pencilled in for transmission on Monday 20 October at 9.00pm.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Sounds great!! I'll even manage to tolerate Melvyn Bragg for an hour! B-)

Weirdly early time slot for The South Bank Show though, normally it's only for insomniacs :s
    unitedkingdom.png
    Weirdly early time slot for The South Bank Show though, normally it's only for insomniacs :s

Ha ha ! U r right SBS is normally a Sunday Night post 10.30 jobby, not a Monday prime time ITV 9pm - probably cos it's Bond
    This programme will now be shown on Wednesday 22nd October at 10.15pm.
    The transmission of this show has now been confirmed.

Wednesday 22 October on ITV1 at 10.40pm.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Crap on a stick! Thats the second QofS / Bond programme I am going to miss as I'll be halfway up a mountain at the time its on! :(
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    Hey I saw the last 10 mins of this when he was talking to Connery and then Craig. Nice to see some additional QOS scenes. What else did they show for the first 50 mins? Oh and Babs B was talking about a new bond for a new era.

Liked the clips of Connery goofing around on Thunderball (I think). ( he really was a fit young man)

Seeing Connery now, I realised that he is an Old Man; slightly wheezing and out of breath when speaking as well as wrinkled skin. - It's just all these viewings have kept him fresh in our minds and he doesn't do interviews so we have not been accustomed to hm getting on a bit - well he will be 80 in a couple of years.

And it was good to see SC finally talk Bond, how he thought DC was great, he mentioned that it was not him in the Gunbarrel for the first few films.
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    I missed it. :# :'(
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    Good, wasn't it? Good range of interviewees. I liked the bit where Sean said it said it was very flattering to hear that there's a bit of him in Craig's Bond, and then he just agreed :)
    Shame they did that horrible zooming in thing for the clips of the old widescreen movies.
  • 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    Has anyone got a review of it i could read.n :)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Thoroughly enjoyable, was that! Even the iconic South Bank Show theme tune was 'Bondified'. :)

Nice little clips of QoS too, particularly as, from a personal point of view, I've deliberately stayed clear of all spoilers and plot events, it all did very well to whet the appetite. Roll on one week today!
    unitedkingdom.png