Full Trailer on line TONIGHT - 9/9/2008!!

Comments

• i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I've been showing this to people at college on my iPod, and the reaction has been great! Two of them insisted on a second viewing, and demanded to know when the film was released.

I remember showing QoS's teaser to a few people, and the reaction was decidedly mediocre. I think the masses are going to love this trailer - a great move by Sony :007)
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    :D :x :007) B-)

'Nuff said.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    This trailer checks every box as far as I'm concerned. Certain issues I've seen raised here are common to many trailers, which have to toe a fine line: show enough to make people excited about seeing the film...but don't give away too much of the plot, or show all of the best bits (lest the audience feel they've basically just seen the film for free). The action and cinematography look top notch, the girl is HOT :x , the Aston's getting more screen time, the locations are suitably exotic and/or glamourous, and Amalric comes off as realistically villainous, creepy and threatening. The look on his face when he uses the phrase "damaged goods" is infinitely punchable :v

So far, I have to say it looks as if my year-long optimism might just be rewarded yet again. I think James Bond is in excellent health... :007)

But naturally, those who think he's been 'under the weather' since October '05 will see signs of continuing decline. All's fair ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    {[] Okay, that's more like it. Much more promising than the teaser trailer.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:
    Although I wasn't a great fan of the music as the logo appears it sounds a bit like an attack on the ears
    Hmm. Each to their own, not minding so much the attack on the ears. It's "sit up and take notice" to me B-)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jamesbondagent007jamesbondagent007 Divided States of TrumpPosts: 236MI6 Agent
    Either Haggis wrote a LOT of the screenplay, or Purvis and Wade are becoming much better screenwriters, because for being a non-Fleming story, this film looks intelligent, taut, and impressive. And as I've said before, possibly better than CR.

That's a big achievement for P&W, in my opinion...
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    I am happy that most everyone is happy with the trailer, I can't say I disliked it, but I do have some problems with it. Keeping in mind their is an hour and 58 minutes of movie we haven't seen, this is what I like. Craig will never look like Bond to me, but he does give it everything has, can't ask for more than that. Locations, as always, look good. The Aston gets a work out, I like that. I think the villians look formiadable, that is good.

What I didn't like, Olga looks very ordinary, second Bond movie in a roll for me where the leading lady has been a disappointment for me. The Bond women use to blow me away, from what I see in the trailer, I think I would have a shot at her. :)) The scene right about at the two minute mark, where we see them shooting at the underbelly of a plane, looks very fake to me. I looked at it several times and I still think it looks bad. Lack of any glamour, could be in another part of the film, but I like Bond living the high life, so I can live vicariously. Music was bland.

Not trying to rain on the parade, just my opinion.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    The scene right about at the two minute mark, where we see them shooting at the underbelly of a plane, looks very fake to me. I looked at it several times and I still think it looks bad.

I agree with you there - I noticed that from the first time I saw the trailer. It looks almost like an old fashioned rear projection shot. It kinda sticks out for me in a trailer where the other effects are top notch. Perhaps they haven't finished the visual effects for that scene yet?
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Rereading DN at the moment, arguably the best Bond Fleming wrote, and the QOS trailer seems fairly in sync with the vibe from that novel: Bond getting messy a lot, a less-than-glamourous yet beautiful leading lady, a maniacal villain with a grand scheme. Doesn't get any Bondier IMO.

Love the direct sequel aspect too.
  • StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    I agree with most of what's been said about us not wanting to lost the glamour.

In CR we had the Bahamas arrival and the Ocean Clun 5 star resort. Also, the first class carriage on the train and the suite in the Grand Hotel Slendide. All real places and very very glamorous. I do hope there are aspects of this in QoS as well as getting roughed up and bloody. I love the exotic locations and the clothes, as lots of you on ajb007 know.

Mantis - any heads up on the outfits from the trailer yet? I feel a new wardrobe coming on!
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Was I imaging Bond and Greene and all those other people in tuxes in the trailer?
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:

Also is Bond going to spend the whole movie covered in muck & blood? I'm all for 'gritty' & 'hard edged' but relish the prospect of a Bourne style misery fest (fine for Bourne but not for Bond as Bond requires the contrast of peril & glamour/style to really work)

It looks to me that QOS could use some of that proper style of glamour in it's leading ladies.

I couldn't agree more with those statements, zaphod. It is all well and good to see Bond being realistically "chewed up" by all the action that he gets himself into, but a BIG part of Bond's world that is all but missing in Bourne's is glamour, and hopefully we will get to see Bond looking sharp (and clean :) ) in some fine, unwrinkled threads in more than a few scenes in the movie.

Also, although Olga is not a beauty in the classical sense, she is a smokin'-hot, sexy woman. However, in many of the glimpses of her that we get in the trailer, it seems that QoS has managed to make her look rather ordinary. I really hope that when we get to see the whole movie, we can see her with more glamorous attire, hairdo and make-up as well.

As far as the villain, I have to say that I feel underwhelmed by Mathieu Amalric. He doesn't seem to possess enough menace to be a physical threat or enough stature to be a Blofeld-like mastermind. To me, he looks even less imposing than Mads Mikkelsen, who some people felt was not scary enough to be Le Chiffre. Still, this problem of not-very-formidable villains is shared by quite a few other entries in the series as well.

However, before being called a QoS basher, I should say that I'm impressed with a lot of things in that trailer. The camerawork is top-notch (the camera following the falling men, etc...), and some of the action scenes promise to be quite thrilling (the aerial dogfight, the car chase...). The variety of locales is great as well.

Craig again seems to be doing an excellent job in these action scenes, and proves once more that he is the most physical Bond yet. I've grown to appreciate the gravitas and the commitment that he brings to the role of Bond, and I'll say this: Craig's Bond, IMO, is more formidable than Matt Damon's Bourne in every way. I may not always like the way he chose to play Bond, but I respect it, and believe that he has brought many new fans to the series, which is of course a great achievement.

I hope that we are to be spared another 'Bond's equal' Jinx style fiasco. And next time what about a blonde or redhead for a change. The leading ladies are starting to morph into an indistinguishable type, and they are much too young for Bond/Daniel. I would prefer female co stars nearer in age to which ever Actor plays Bond. But this is a general criticism of the series and not just CR & QOS.

Agree that the villain lacks immediate impact, but believe that he is a good actor who may surprise us with a novel approach, but on first glance my Accountant is more scary.
    zaphod wrote:
    And next time what about a blonde or redhead for a change.
    Agents Fields is a redhead.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited September 2008
    zaphod wrote:

Kind of, but not really what I had in mind. She's also appears to be very, very young, and possibly the first 'chav' Bond girl.
  • Moores Left EyebrowMoores Left Eyebrow Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    The trailor looks amazing.

I'm right bang in the middle of reading all the novels in order. I'm starting to get a real feel for how Fleming saw Bond in his head... and from the small 2 minute trailor of QOS you can tell that Craig has studied this and brings the Bond of the novels out onto the big screen.

I'm so, so excited about this movie - I can't figgin wait!
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    zaphod wrote:
    zaphod wrote:

Kind of, but not really what I had in mind. She's also appears to be very, very young, and possibly the first 'chav' Bond girl.

Chav? Certainly not in real life. I suggest you watch her in 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' on British TV this week, her leading role doesn't look particularly 'chavvy' :p

She appeared kind of chavvy in her recent film, 'Three and Out', and I'm not sure about 'RocknRolla', but remember, this girl's job is to portray a character. She is, after all, an actress*

*who graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. ;)
    edited September 2008
    zaphod wrote:
    Chav?? Have you actually saw her at the party sequence, or the way her character conducts herself in some of the behind-the-scenes footage?? If so, and that's your definition of "chav", then British society isn't as F-ed up as I thought it was. 8-)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    zaphod wrote:

Kind of, but not really what I had in mind.

Eh? She has red hair. Loads of it. Ergo, she is a red head. Are you measuring her against the L'Oreal colour scale or something ("Hmm, Agent Fields is a #32, Russet Beauty - I wanted a Bond Girl who was #56, Scarlet Flowers")?

Gemma can also be seen as Elizabeth Bennet in ITV's Lost in Austen at the moment, a part previously played by such well known chavs as Keira Knightly, Jennifer Ehle and Greer Garson. It's called range...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    Eh? She has red hair. Loads of it. Ergo, she is a red head.
    Maybes he's meanin' ginger :D
    unitedkingdom.png
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Ok...I'll bite. What does "Chav" mean?

?:)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    well I'll try.

Chav is someone who is lacking in intelligence and culture, thinks that dressing in designer clothes such as burberry, rebok classics, looks great with white velour trackpants (that have 'sexy' written on the back in glitter)...and you must not forget the "bling", gold chains, (lots of them, all worn at once) and big gold hooped earings, (the bigger/fatter the better)...and say things like:
    "are you disrespectin' me" "wot you lookin at?" and the greatest Chav of all (look up Vicky Pollard on Youtube) "yes but, no but..."

I in no way think that Gemma represents Chav....but each their own.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    :)) :)) :)) Thanks for the explanation Lexi...got it!
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    This seems to strike a balance between strong character driven substance and high action packed fantasy (without feeling naff, like Die Another Day).
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
    zaphod wrote:

Kind of, but not really what I had in mind.

Eh? She has red hair. Loads of it. Ergo, she is a red head. Are you measuring her against the L'Oreal colour scale or something ("Hmm, Agent Fields is a #32, Russet Beauty - I wanted a Bond Girl who was #56, Scarlet Flowers")?

Gemma can also be seen as Elizabeth Bennet in ITV's Lost in Austen at the moment, a part previously played by such well known chavs as Keira Knightly, Jennifer Ehle and Greer Garson. It's called range...

Your'e right I'm probably measuring her against a much more vibrant and striking looking ideal of a Readhead, and perhaps 'Chav' is a bit too strong. It's down to strokes & folks I guess, but she certainly leaves me cold. Thats as maybe, and admittedly a personal thing. What I feel is mmuch more significant is whatever her strenghts as an actress, she just appears too young for Daniel's Bond(she actually looks yoinger than she is) and at the risk of upsetting Lexi I dont think his staunchest fan, or even his Mother would claim that Daniel is a young looking 40. It makes the whole thing a bit creepy to me, and is as I have said before a factor in a number of Bond movies and not just QOS.

I am of course prepared to suspend judgement until I have seen the movie, but up until the end of October we are all specualting about how this will turn out, and making guesses and predictions, which is what's fun about it.
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    Lexi wrote:
    well I'll try.

Chav is someone who is lacking in intelligence and culture, thinks that dressing in designer clothes such as burberry, rebok classics, looks great with white velour trackpants (that have 'sexy' written on the back in glitter)...and you must not forget the "bling", gold chains, (lots of them, all worn at once) and big gold hooped earings, (the bigger/fatter the better)...and say things like:
    "are you disrespectin' me" "wot you lookin at?" and the greatest Chav of all (look up Vicky Pollard on Youtube) "yes but, no but..."

I in no way think that Gemma represents Chav....but each their own.

I believe we call them "Mac Daddies" here in the states.
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    zaphod wrote:
    and at the risk of upsetting Lexi I dont think his staunchest fan, or even his Mother would claim that Daniel is a young looking 40.

:)) :)) no one can claim, even me, fan-girl of Craig, can ever say he looks good for his age.
    I just happen to like the rugged, craggy look!
    zaphod wrote:
    I am of course prepared to suspend judgement until I have seen the movie, but up until the end of October we are all specualting about how this will turn out, and making guesses and predictions, which is what's fun about it.

absolutely...as I said, each their own! ;)
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    I agree with most of what's been said about us not wanting to lost the glamour.

In CR we had the Bahamas arrival and the Ocean Clun 5 star resort. Also, the first class carriage on the train and the suite in the Grand Hotel Slendide. All real places and very very glamorous. I do hope there are aspects of this in QoS as well as getting roughed up and bloody. I love the exotic locations and the clothes, as lots of you on ajb007 know.

I admit to being perplexed by talk about a lack of glamour in QoS...then again, I'm sure that not everyone is as immersed as me ;%
    We've got a very glizty outdoor cocktail party in South America...and a sequence that takes place on and around a floating opera stage on a lake in Austria, tuxedos, etc., ad infinitum :007)

Of course there will be arrivals in distant lands, probably nice hotels as well.

Perhaps the bar is being edged upward for (Formerly) Poor DannyTM?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    While it is highly unlikely we will see Ernst Stavro Blofeld again, I wonder who ultimately leads this mysterious organization that James Bond is fighting against? Maybe he/she could be a super villain moulded along the lines of Keyser Soze from The Usual Suspects, Ben Linus from Lost, or Electra King from TWINE? The main mastermind initially posing as somebody harmless would work well and would perhaps be perfectly in keeping with what we've seen of the organization so far and why they've cloaked themselves from the international authorities so effectively, despite their omnipresent size and influence (when we have things like the Internet and much more omnipresent forms of surveillance, things that weren't so expansive in the 60s and 70s).

They seem to be hiding behind legitimate big business and also have a working relationship with the CIA.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    If we don't see the reintroduction of SPECTRE, I would at least like to see something that parallels their penchant for long-term villainy. It truly was the influence of SPECTRE that made Bond so great in his heyday. I've said before that the Janus Syndicate would have made for a truly formidable evil organization if Bond hadn't elimiated it in just one picture. A hero is only as good as his nemesis. I would like to see the developments in the Craig Bond movies reignite a huge passion for the ultimate gentleman spy. (I'm quite sick of all the flocking fandom over the new Batman movie, frankly.)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I have kept out of the QoS loop, been saving myself for the trailers and theme song release and I'm not disappointed by either.

(Though the sooner we return to a proper M and ditch Dame Judi the better - cant bear her constantly going on about Bonds anger issues.He's an angry guy, get over it! )