Whispering Statues (Goldeneye) voices

DrBooDrBoo Posts: 2MI6 Agent
Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm obviously a fan of the James Bond films (even though Daniel Craig is a great actor, I preferred Pierce to be honest but that's another story)
Anyways, I'm also a mapper. This means I make levels and maps for first person shooter games. I do this in my free time and it's totally non-commercial: people can download my maps and play them for free :-)
I'm currently working on another map and while I was rewaching Goldeneye yesterday, I remembered that part where 007 meets Alec after he turned "bad" on that graveyard full of statues. At one point you hear some deep Russian choir voices say something while 007 is quitely wandering around the graveyard.

I know the name of that song is Whispering Statues but I wonder what kind of "music" those deep voices are. Is it some sort of Russian Choir music? Is there a specific name for this kind of singing men? I know this is a strange question but a few short clips of such voices (and voices only without background music or noise) would fit perfectly in the map I'm working on now.

If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful!
Thanks

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    It's a simple processed male choir - the voices have been distorted (or processed) using the composer's equipment. Eric Serra does this kind of thing in his sleep, but there's nothing new there: deep choirs singing vaguely Slavic lyrics have been associted with Russia (as in "evil, threatining Russia") for decades. Some other famous examples are Basil Poledouris' The Hunt for Red October, James Horner's Red Heat and Hans Zimmer's Crimson Tide and Peacemaker. If you need isolated vocals, I think I still have the choir overdubs Basil used for Red October, which sound quite similar to the ones in Serra's score. If I remember correctly, I still have some original takes and their processed counterparts which were manipulated to have some kind of compressed, underwater sound. Let me know if you are interested in hearing them.
  • DrBooDrBoo Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I'm most certainly interested in hearing them. Thanks a lot for your reply. Maybe I can see in sound forge if I can imitate that effect... didn't know it was an effect that the composer created with his own equipment.
    Again, thanks, this info alone is very helpful to me too :-)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    You should be able to replicate the effect with Sound Forge. Try using the graphic EQ first then play around with the effects before finishing off with the dynamics function.