Why Goldfinger is the best movie

I can list 1000 reasons but just listen to the horns in the opening music. That's the only reason you need!

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    {[] You have no idea how delighted I am to see a topic on GF's being the best film. :D I see so many threads declaring it to be overrated, that to see a thread declaring love for GF really warms my heart. :D 1000 reasons? I can list a million. :D It truly is perfection. :x
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • jillmastertonjillmasterton Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    It really is the only movie I can watch over and over and never get tired of seeing it. Golfinger is perfection!

I cannot believe people say that it's overrated. The most overrated bond film of all time is Goldeneye. I cannot tell you the disdain I have for that movie. X-( All of the class and sophistication that Connery built up in the character was completely lost in that film. Goldeneye is the antithesis of what a bond film should be.

On a side note- Do you know which hotel in Miami they filmed at in goldfinger?
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I think Goldfinger gets more credit that it deserves. It deserves a lot, and I mean A LOT of credit, but I believe that the best film of the Connery era is FRWL followed closely by TB.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Do you know which hotel in Miami they filmed at in goldfinger?
    The location shots were at the Fountainbleu, which had recently opened. However, the only actor actually there was Cec Linder (Felix), for the shots of him before he finds Bond. All the scenes with Bond, Goldfinger, Simmons, Jill, etc. were filmed at Pinewood.

Agree with Dan it's good to see this thread -- seems like all we do around here lately is bash this or that. While OHMSS is #1 for me, GF is firmly entrenched at #2.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    You can also see the Fountainbleu in the opening credits of the old Miami Vice TV show. There was a trompe l oeil painting of the ocean covering the street side of the building(commissioned some time in the 70s). Unfortunately, that section of the building was demolished around 2002. Most of what it looked like during Goldfinger is long gone.
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    I love Goldfinger. Whatever people say, it truly is James Bond's all time high. The hysteria levels were insane, matching that of The Beatles. People were waiting for Thunderball like crazy after seeing it. It is just a magnificent Bond film.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    {[] You have no idea how delighted I am to see a topic on GF's being the best film. :D I see so many threads declaring it to be overrated, that to see a thread declaring love for GF really warms my heart. :D 1000 reasons? I can list a million. :D It truly is perfection. :x

I think Dan & I share a brain or something. His love for Goldfinger is as great as my love for Goldfinger. There'a also another movie out there we both love. I think it's called Pulp Fiction. Back on topic though. Goldfinger has so many great elements to it. The plot, the music etc.... I don't have time to list the 999,998 more reason why it's the best Bond film.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Mr Martini wrote:
    There'a also another movie out there we both love. I think it's called Pulp Fiction.
    I love that film. One of my favourites of all time. Tarantino's best by a mile.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    I think Dan & I share a brain or something. His love for Goldfinger is as great as my love for Goldfinger. There'a also another movie out there we both love. I think it's called Pulp Fiction. Back on topic though. Goldfinger has so many great elements to it. The plot, the music etc.... I don't have time to list the 999,998 more reason why it's the best Bond film.
    {[] {[] {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    GF is indeed what kicked the "spy craze" loose and sent oo7 into orbit. It is the ultimate Bond film and no doubt if the end of the world came - this is the oo7 film to put into the satellite and send off to safety!

Ironically none of the later Bond films ever acheived the style that GF has in spades.

-{