Traditionalists Beware!

13»

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    yodboy007 wrote:
    I had no idea you were the President of our party, Tee Hee. Congrats. Do you need a running mate?

I have said over and over again that unnecessary changes or "shake-ups" have nothing to do with the other changes that are good. I have always been for better writing and less cliched moments. DAD went overboard with a lot of things and CR brought back a lot of elements that made the series great back in the day.

The iconic institutions like the "Bond, James Bond" quote, the "shaken not stirred" quote, the James Bond theme, the opening gunbarrel and even Q and Moneypenny were never a problem with any films the franchise. These things NEVER became tired or cliched at all in my opinion. I am always interested to see how they might change each of them up a bit. Yes, all of these elements are not required to be in every single film, but a good deal of them are.

Here are some changes and "shake-ups" I like with Craig's films. The "Do I look like I give a damn" quote was nice. I love the version of the Bond theme in the trailers with the Latin chorus singing the theme very fast. I think that version would go awesome in the actual film to accompany a great action scene. But apparently the producers feel differently. So I think it is ok to change up a few things as long as other things are still present in their original form. The gunbarrel is included in this. Putting it at the end is an example of bad change.

People that liked CR and Craig's new twist on the character are coming out of the theater praising his intense performance and the intriguing story. The overall tone and clever writing is what impressed them. However, I do not think that many people will come out of QoS saying that putting the gunbarrel last made the film better. No one will say that they are glad they did not hear the James Bond Theme a lot in the film because it got old. If it lasted for twenty movies without anyone complaining about it then why take it out? Change it up if you want like in the trailer.

I don't know how many times these topics will come up, but I assure you I will represent my party well in taking up for the timeless traditions and institutions in this franchise that have no correlation with the change in tone from DAD to Craig's films. They can go inside Bond's mind and try many new things with the franchise all while keeping James Bond's identity.

Consider yourself inaugurated! :D {[]
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Uh oh...CBT reinforcements... :o

Time for a real "grass roots" push from the Flemingist Party... :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    :))

Protest "is only the first step to prove our power." :v
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Tee Hee, I promise you I will do my best to stand up for the great cinematic tradition that is James Bond 007. I graciously accept your offer.

However, I will agree with Loeffelholz for once and think that killing M would be an interesting thing to see. It seems that Dame Judi Dench is almost done with the role anyways, so why don't we put one right between her eyes?
  • FitzochrisFitzochris Posts: 242MI6 Agent
    yodboy007 wrote:
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Tee Hee, I promise you I will do my best to stand up for the great cinematic tradition that is James Bond 007. I graciously accept your offer.

However, I will agree with Loeffelholz for once and think that killing M would be an interesting thing to see. It seems that Dame Judi Dench is almost done with the role anyways, so why don't we put one right between her eyes?

So long as she is replaced by another M, it would generate a very interesting plot for a future Bond film.