An AJB meet-up? London, October

i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
Now that I'm sure I'm in London from the 27th Oct - 1st Nov, I think it would be great, if possible, to meet any AJB members who'll be around London that time?

Especially at the premier, I'll definitely be arriving early at Leicester Square to beat the crowds!

I don't know the area that well so I'm not sure what's around, like pubs, bars etc, but if anyone fancies meeting up, and even popping for a drink nearby, that'd be great!

EDIT: this might be better in the events forum :(|)

Comments

• StrangewaysStrangeways London, UKPosts: 1,469MI6 Agent
    Hey! At last someone from the forum wants to meet up. I have got tickets for 1 Nov in Leicester Sq. Anyone else interested in meeting for the film then lunch afterwards?

PM me.{[]
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    I'd join you guys but on 1 Nov I have free tickets to see Spurs v Liverpool, so am planning to go on Sunday. Naturally, that means I'd be playing gooseberry over any discussion of QoS which would be a drag.

Will prob see at Odeon Leicester Square.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I’m tempted to come down, but I’m a bit worried about this Boris Johnson creature. Is he dangerous?
  • spectre7spectre7 LondonPosts: 118MI6 Agent
    Luckily for me, I work in Soho, so just a few minutes walk to Leicester Square. :)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    I’m tempted to come down, but I’m a bit worried about this Boris Johnson creature. Is he dangerous?

Only if you're the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police :))
  • VandrellVandrell London, EnglandPosts: 324MI6 Agent
    I'd join you guys but on 1 Nov I have free tickets to see Spurs v Liverpool, so am planning to go on Sunday. Naturally, that means I'd be playing gooseberry over any discussion of QoS which would be a drag.

Will prob see at Odeon Leicester Square.

Spurs or QoS? I know what i would rather see.....
    edited October 2008
    Vandrell wrote:
    Spurs or QoS? I know what i would rather see.....

I dunno. QoS are pretty handy. They beat Livingston 6-1 on Saturday. :)
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    John Drake wrote:
    beat Livingston 6-1 on Saturday. :)
    QoS or Boris Johnson? :D Ah no, wait, that would be Livingstone ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I'd join you guys but on 1 Nov I have free tickets to see Spurs v Liverpool, so am planning to go on Sunday.

Much as I love my Lillywhites, given their current form, having a dentist's appointment has less pain involved than welcoming home last season's vice-captain to where he should be playing his football.

I'm currently negotiating for a premiere seat so maybe.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    I dunno. QoS are pretty handy. They beat Livingston 6-1 on Saturday. :)

:))
    The fact that I, an American who has spent all of 72 hours in Scotland, even get this joke means I need to get out more (less?)!

And while we're on the subject...Nap, clearly you should offload your Spurs-Liverpool tickets, as Spurs will be relegated by then. :p
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • sirdavidsirdavid Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Sounds like a plan. I'll be at Odeon LS on 1st November too.

And while we're on the subject...Nap, clearly you should offload your Spurs-Liverpool tickets, as Spurs will be relegated by then. :p

:)) I wouldn't be surprised! Lots of Sun sports page headlines dubbing them Totanic (their worst start since 1912 when Titanic sunk) with silly lyrics made up to 'My Start (sic) Will Go On'...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008

:)) I wouldn't be surprised! Lots of Sun sports page headlines dubbing them Totanic (their worst start since 1912 when Titanic sunk) with silly lyrics made up to 'My Start (sic) Will Go On'...

Sadly, as a Newcastle supporter, I am right there with you. P.T. Barnum never even imagined a circus like the one Mike Ashley has created on Tyneside.

Course we've seen this movie before, haven't we? Here's a limerick I posted on the ESPN Soccernet website last week, in response to a pointed question from a Sunderland supporter:
    We're a club of significant size
    Who've seen fit to employ Dennis Wise.
    And before he's all done,
    We'll be down in League One.
    So, yes, we ARE Leeds in disguise!
    :D :#

Sorry for taking this off topic...
    Hilly...you old devil!
    My team's bottom of the SPL so I'm just as depressed as you guys. :#

Anyway back on topic. Which London cinema's would you recommend? So far I've only been in a couple of Odeon's, one on Tottenham Court Road, another that might have been towards Covent Garden, and the NFT which might be showing this film in 30 years time but not any time soon. I prefer Indie type cinema's by the way. What's the Curzon like?
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Empire always used to have the best seats, but it's been years since I went to a screening in London (probably The World is Not Enough in actual fact) and that was the rather lovely main Leicester Sq Odeon.
    :D I've just done a feature on the best London cinemas for Ryanair magazine, JD! With times for best discounts! It's not on their website yet, however - not sure if it will be. Do you want me to post you a copy?

Generally there'll be 3 for QoS, Odeon L Square obv, Vue 02 in North Greenwich (biggest and best but lacking atmosphere) and Notting Hill Coronet (nice old style cinema, red velvet and gilt etc, not sure about quality). You can take plastic booze into that one.

Curzon cinemas are good, Curzon Mayfair has the bigger screen and has been refurbished of late, Curzon Soho does a great coconut and raspberry slice at the cafe. Renoir is a bit bleak this time of year. They all do Indie stuff but they don't let you take a drink in.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited October 2008
    :D I've just done a feature on the best London cinemas for Ryanair magazine, JD! With times for best discounts! It's not on their website yet, however - not sure if it will be. Do you want me to post you a copy?

{[] NP. Can you scan and email it? That's probably easier than posting it by snail mail. They put the last thing you did on their site though. I'm sure they'd do the same here.
    Notting Hill Coronet (nice old style cinema, red velvet and gilt etc, not sure about quality). You can take plastic booze into that one.

For some reason, the one that serves alcohol appeals to me. :)
    And so it should, but the Coronet (which does films half price on Tues) might have dodgy sound. Certainly sitting up front on Indy Jones I couldn't hear it too well. The balcony might be better, it's a bit further back. Would this be second viewing JD, after all, it wouldn't be the best for a first QoS experience when you have the other two.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • spectre7spectre7 LondonPosts: 118MI6 Agent
    I saw Die Another Day in the preview theatre at Pinewood Studios. Great theatre . . . shame about the film. :(
    What time is the premiere?