AVOID: Mail on Sunday cover today!

No spoilers here, and most of you will know by now, but the newspaper cover of today's Mail on Sunday has the biggest spoiler I've seen yet - I'm quite peeved about it. Unavoidable, even if you wanted to buy the supplement on offer with it and not take a peep until afterwards.

Avoid a trip to the newsagents if you can. The spoiler is flagged up on other threads in this forum if you wanna know.
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Saw it this morning. :# Have they never heard of spoilers? Honestly, these are the sort of people who would urinate in a drinking well in the middle of the desert.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Actually, that sounds like the final scene of QoS! :))

What's more, mi6.co.uk give the game away with their headline too, helpfully adding (spoilers) afterwards! 8-)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    CBn handled it better with their headline...

I don't mind the spoiler, but I'm not overjoyed with the homage, which strikes me as unnecessary. I guess we'll see how it plays.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,742MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    CBn handled it better with their headline...

I don't mind the spoiler, but I'm not overjoyed with the homage, which strikes me as unnecessary. I guess we'll see how it plays.

Exactly my feeling, if the film company are happy letting it out it can't be all that spoilery. I'd prefer not to have known, but...

However the actual scene itself as in the film is far too self-referential to me: I don't want a greatest hits Bond, I want a new Bond. Might just have been okay in Die Another Day, but I'm not keen on the idea here.

Incidentally, the piece about Barbara Broccolli's ex is a great read. Not a nasty trashing by a long way, but an interesting insight into what must be a fascinating lifestyle:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1068195/Why-did-I-split-Barbara-Broccoli-She-tried-buy-180-000-Aston-Martin-TV-chef-James-Martin.html
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Yikes! I was damn annoyed that someone at CBN posted the images minus a spoiler tag, but I'd probably have been caught this morning by The Mail's inconsiderate front page anyway. Avoid it like the plague.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Actually, avoiding the Mail On Sunday in general is a pretty good idea.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Shady TreeShady Tree London, UKPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Apart from the 'homage' spoiler, the Mail on Sunday supplement is full of giveaways about the movie's plot and other set pieces. I read it but wish I hadn't. It all bodes for an excellent film, but I now feel cheated of the thrill of surprise when the film opens.
    Critics and material I don't need. I haven't changed my act in 53 years.
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    I for one don't mind the homage as much as some of the other members of the board do. It doesn't rank high on my list of things to worry about. The scene being paid tribute to is one of the better, memorable Bond moments.

Now, if they did a complete scene homage to Bond with some of his less memorable film moments. I would have a real problem with it. Imagine the girl found in her state, Bond sees her, and he is shocked, so shocked that a nearby pigeon even does a double take! Then, well yes then I would certainly have an issue with the homage.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited October 2008
    I suppose it will matter how it is presented in the film: the lead-up, the actual 'reveal,' and Bond's reaction. If it mirrors the original too closely, it could be more of a liability than an asset...

Of course, this is a fanboy's opinion. Perhaps general audiences not so steeped in the esoterica of Bond---such as newer fans of the franchise, especially those coming on board in the Craig Era---might receive it better. In general, the less versed in Bond lore a viewer is, the less jarring the sense of 'been there, seen that.' However, with the films on television and available on DVD in perpetuity, it seems this segment of the audience would be rather small.

The visual is quite effective, naturally, just as the original was back in the sixties. In a sense, given the present day economical climate, it can be said that...
    ...Oil is the new gold, making this a rather cynical revamping of the classic iconic moment.

So on one level it is slightly clever, but to me this is outweighed by an unfortunate sense of a rich past simply being cannibalized. We'll soon see.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Damn. . .as much as I've been trying to avoid spoilers, this one was blown by my e-mail alert system. I may have to disable it from alerting me to anything with "Quantum" and "Solace" in it from now on! X-(
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Saw it this morning. :# Have they never heard of spoilers? Honestly, these are the sort of people who would urinate in a drinking well in the middle of the desert.

You knew that the Titanic was going to sink and you still saw the movie
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Oh well, cheers Dawuss! :v I was all set to rent that one tonight!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    "$%&\>&^^$%$**%"£ !!!!
  • Christmas TounesChristmas Tounes GloucestershirePosts: 164MI6 Agent
    The homage was spoiled for me but I had the willpower to not read the rest?{[]
    This is the first Bond film Ive been exited about but have tried to avoid spoilers. I practically knew exactly what was going to happen in DAD! 25 days left to QoS! B-)
    1. Goldeneye 2. OHMSS 3. Goldfinger 4. TND 5. Octopussy 6. FYEO
    7. LALD 8. TWINE 9. Skyfall 10. AVTAK 11. CR 12. TLD 13. YOLT
    14. TMWTGG 15. Moonraker 16. TSWLM 17. Thunderball 18. FRWL
    19. Dr. No 20. DAF 21. LTK 22. DAD 23. QoS 24. Spectre 25. NTTD