Daniel Craig on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross

GumboldGumbold LondonPosts: 102MI6 Agent
DC will be a guest on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross on Friday 24 October BBC1.

Comments

• RavenstoneRavenstone EnglandPosts: 152MI6 Agent
    I would love to see Daniel Craig do the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    Ravenstone wrote:
    I would love to see Daniel Craig do the Star in the Reasonably Priced Car on Top Gear!

Me too- actually seems the sort of thing he'd like to do (with only a passing knowledge of the fella, natch); bit of a shame they couldn't grab him while he was shooting CR at their studio! :)
    I think we should petition the powers that be ;) Excellent publicity for Quantum of Solace, particularly around March next year when the DVD will be coming out.

It could start a trend. Next would be Timothy Dalton. Line up Rog....:D Bet you that Rog would be the slowest, but would do it with the most style :D
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Courtesy of Youtube:

Part 1 Part 2
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    It was one of the worst interviews ever - not really DC - but the crappy questions he was asked.
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:
    It was one of the worst interviews ever - not really DC - but the crappy questions he was asked.
    It certainly stood as a good example of Jonathon Ross' wit (none), insight (none) & self-regard (enormous) I did however find myself wondering how many members of this forum will be putting in a bid for DC's watch.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Seahawk wrote:
    It certainly stood as a good example of Jonathon Ross' wit (none), insight (none) & self-regard (enormous).
    Absolutely with you on that. The disgusting amount of money he costs is the primary reason I'd love to see the BBC licence fee scrapped.

As for the watch, it would be nice but I'm quite sure my highest bid would be well out down by several thousand! :#
    unitedkingdom.png
    It was good fun although Ross was slightly more overbearing than usual- I think Craig sort of gave in a bit. Shame; he was better on Leno.
    The Tony Curtis interview was good.
    Absolutely with you on that. The disgusting amount of money he costs is the primary reason I'd love to see the BBC licence fee scrapped.

I wouldn't believe everything you read in the papers.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    It was good fun although Ross was slightly more overbearing than usual- I think Craig sort of gave in a bit. Shame; he was better on Leno.
    Would've loved hearing Tony Curtis.
    edited October 2008
    Alex wrote:
    emtiem wrote:
    Would've loved hearing Tony Curtis.

He came across really well- everything else I've seen him on recently made him seem mad. Tellingly Ross threw his notes away; he just wanted to let Curtis speak.
    Grace Jones came across really well too- mad as a balloon of course, but in a very nice way. Just a shame the botox won't let her laugh anymore! :)

Someone seems to have uploaded the Curtis interview if you want:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=klQIMxLdjXs

Bit of a shock to have James Bond on first, but when a legend like Tony Curtis is in the building it makes sense.
    edited October 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    Oh who cares? 8-) At the end of the day, I can't stand the sight or sound of the man and he's still far too highly paid, to which my licence fee is contributing.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,624Chief of Staff
    I quite enjoyed the interview...you know what to expect from Ross, so....

I though Daniel came across well..much better than when he was doing the rounds for CR - much more relaxed.
    YNWA 97
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I don't believe we get Ross on BBC America. Least I haven't come across him yet. But I will say one thing. I'd much rather watch Graham Norton ;%

PS, Thank you for the link emtiem.
    emtiem wrote:
    Oh who cares? 8-) At the end of the day, I can't stand the sight or sound of the man and he's still far too highly paid, to which my licence fee is contributing.

That's rather the point of the licence fee, though- to fund all aspects of the arts to which the BBC caters. You're not supposed to like everything that the fee pays for- if you did then the BBC wouldn't be doing its job properly. I have no interest in the Proms, but I wouldn't go into forums celebrating the Last Night and demand my licence fee back- I simply don't watch it and accept that many others do like it.
    If you don't care, why go on about it?
    edited October 2008
    emtiem wrote:
    That's rather the point of the licence fee, though- to fund all aspects of the arts to which the BBC caters. You're not supposed to like everything that the fee pays for- if you did then the BBC wouldn't be doing its job properly. I have no interest in the Proms, but I wouldn't go into forums celebrating the Last Night and demand my licence fee back- I simply don't watch it and accept that many others do like it.
    If you don't care, why go on about it?
    Give it a rest. People have opinions, but you jump on them CONSTANTLY and always try to have the last word, and it makes you a very, very tiring character. royalmile's dislike of a few piano keys, for example, leave him to it and stop trying to rip his opinions apart or rubbish his arguement. It makes you hard to tolerate, and if the moderators made money out of the number of members moaning about you in reports and PMs we could probably have retired by now.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,279MI6 Agent
    I didn't watch it either. Ross is an appalling interviewer with a lavatorial streak that demeans both his guests and his watching audience. If he got anything remotely interesting out of DC I would be suprised
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,624Chief of Staff
    chrisno1 wrote:
    If he got anything remotely interesting out of DC I would be suprised

He got his watch, that's pretty good :))
    YNWA 97
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Just saw both parts of this interview on YouTube. IMO, Craig does much better on Brit venues than in the U.S. (though I thought he was quite good on Leno). Great stuff; I find Ross quite funny...all the moreso because Russell Brand isn't hanging about this time round. That guy ought to go play in traffic :v

That second clip they showed from QoS, with M...great stuff, especially when
    ...Bond steals the photo of Vesper (and her boyfriend?) when she isn't looking...

B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Just as well Craig wasn't booked on this week's show! (For the benefit of anybody outside the UK Ross is suspended for being very rude to a retired Spanish waiter, so no show from him for a while).
    edited January 2009
    John Drake wrote:
    Just as well Craig wasn't booked on this week's show! (For the benefit of anybody outside the UK Ross is suspended for being very rude to a retired Spanish waiter, so no show from him for a while).

Apparently Craig has refused to appear on Ross' show to promote Defiance because, by all accounts, Ross is quite the ass...of course, none of this will be breaking news for you Brits ;% , but I find this fascinating...

Here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mandrake/4214147/Daniel-Craig-leaves-desperate-Jonathan-Ross-shaken-and-stirred.html

Granted, the only Jonathan Ross I've seen is clips with Craigger or Sir Roger---he seemed funny to me. I guess the key is viewing in small doses...

Andrew Sachs, the actor who played Manuel on Fawlty Towers, had obscene messages left on his answering machine by Ross :s ...weird. I hadn't heard anything about this. Ross hauls down about six million pounds a year (?!)...wow.

The article concludes by saying that Tom Cruise, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio have all balked at appearing on the chat show. When you're too off-putting for Tom Cruise... :o :))
    I'd be a little surprised at that; it wasn't a great interview but Craig seemed to be taking it well; he's a good sport. But then he is an actor I suppose; he's probably capable of pretending! :)

Shame if it's true that people are refusing to appear, but I suppose it was inevitable after all the silly fuss kicked up, at least for the first few months or two: I'm glad you guys in the US didn't hear about it; it was all rather embarrassing what with the papers who have an agenda to destroy the BBC leaping on every error it makes- the Ross/Brand thing was a silly schoolboyish thing to do but it got blown out of all proportion.
    Kate Winslet's alleged comment is quite accurate - while Ross has his moments, and is capable of being genuinely clever and witty - most of the time, he's only talking about himself. I've seen interviews where people have barely managed to get a word in edgeways.
    Ravenstone wrote:
    Kate Winslet's alleged comment is quite accurate - while Ross has his moments, and is capable of being genuinely clever and witty - most of the time, he's only talking about himself. I've seen interviews where people have barely managed to get a word in edgeways.

True, but then that's sort of the point of his show; if you like that you watch, if you don't you don't.
    The article concludes by saying that Tom Cruise, Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio have all balked at appearing on the chat show. When you're too off-putting for Tom Cruise... :o :))

Which doesn't appear to be true, so take the rest of that article as you will.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7826493.stm
    emtiem wrote:
    True, but then that's sort of the point of his show; if you like that you watch, if you don't you don't.

But what's the point in being on his show in that case? You're promoting your film/book/new CD, and you can't talk about it, cus Wossy is determined to show how clever he is.

I usually like the guy, but he used to be a lot better. In the last 2-3 years, he's just got smarmy and irritating. I watch occasionally, if there's someone on I want to see, but it's generally fairly disappointing from an interview point of view.

He should leave the satire to Have I Go News For You or something. Just interview people. Parky made good money out of it.
    Ravenstone wrote:
    emtiem wrote:

But what's the point in being on his show in that case? You're promoting your film/book/new CD, and you can't talk about it, cus Wossy is determined to show how clever he is.

Well I'm not going on the show, I'm watching it. As often as not I don't really care what they're plugging.
    Ravenstone wrote:
    I usually like the guy, but he used to be a lot better. In the last 2-3 years, he's just got smarmy and irritating. I watch occasionally, if there's someone on I want to see, but it's generally fairly disappointing from an interview point of view.

Well, that's fair comment. I do think he's got a bit worse recently; hopefully this time off will have put him a straighter track again. That said, I don't want a straight interview show; I want him being funny, but ideally in slightly tighter way; the way it was when this show started.

Ravenstone wrote:
    Just interview people. Parky made good money out of it.

Parky was a little bit dull, though. And he wasn't the journalist that he kept bigging himself up as.
    emtiem wrote:

Well, that's fair comment. I do think he's got a bit worse recently; hopefully this time off will have put him a straighter track again. That said, I don't want a straight interview show; I want him being funny, but ideally in slightly tighter way; the way it was when this show started.

I agree absolutely. It seems like he's trying to hard lately. It was much better before.

And - yes - Parky was boring. Wossy used to be a nice, happy medium. Thing is, you can't watch him interview someone and come away having felt that kind of intimacy you usually get with interviews. It used to be that he could use his wit and humour, and you would feel that the reaction of the interviewee gave you a better idea of the kind of person they are.

Well, not that you really know what kind of person they are, but really - when you get right down to it - that's why you watch interviews, isn't it? To get an idea of the sort of person they are?
    Ravenstone wrote:
    Well, not that you really know what kind of person they are, but really - when you get right down to it - that's why you watch interviews, isn't it? To get an idea of the sort of person they are?

Probably, yes, but then you still get that from Ross' worst interviews really; as you would from seeing anyone react to a certain situation- X has a better sense of humour than Y etc. I think you get a feel for what sort of person Daniel Craig is from his time on there, even. His Parky interview on the other hand, whilst being more in depth, was a proper snooze-fest. He's done much more revealing and interesting ones in print. At least Ross' one kept one's attention; it's entertainment.
    But yeah, hopefully he'll be a bit more refreshed and focused as he could definitely have done with it.
    edited January 2009
    emtiem wrote:

Which doesn't appear to be true, so take the rest of that article as you will.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7826493.stm

Well, the fact that Cruise will now appear probably doesn't prove anything decisively. Clearly situations evolve, and people talked to Cruise's people, who talked to Cruise, and the PR merry-go-round keeps revolving whilst they try to sell tickets to the film---but far be it from me to defend the Brit papers. "They'll print anything these days."

I'm sure that, given a level playing field and good weather, Ross and Cruise attempting to out-ass each other might be the equivalent of a five hour-long, zero-to-zero football game :)

I've not seen the film yet, but I read the script for Valkyrie when the film was still in production, and I was impressed.