Golden Gun Stolen From Elstree Studios

texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
Very interesting news on the Golden Gun stolen from Elstree Studios

http://commanderbond.net/article/5608

Comments

• 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    This was already posted by bondaholic here.

http://ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=31459
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    yes but its more appropriate here as, in the collecting section we talk a lot about the props etc ... so I hope someone can close the topic regarding it, in the general discussion forums.

Yes It was me who stole the Golden Gun, I could not help myself. I got my acomplace to distract the guards out side the storage room by playing a violin to the sound of country and western music. while I climbed in through the roof. Its in my collection and will be on my website soon. :))

but joking aside the article photo of Chrsitpher Lee. holding the gun with Odd Jobs hat, I am pretty sure its a 2nd generation SD Studios gun he is holding... and I thought anyway that EON Productions had the 3 suposed guns in there archives.
  • ohm5sohm5s Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    There is no way Elstree Props have the original gun. I had heard from a couple of people that they were working on a copy of an original BUT I also spoke to a jeweller who was making one for them from scratch based on drawings and an SD studios item. There is something dodgy here. I have bought supposed props from them and they were fakes so who know what lengths these guys go to?

Edited:By Sir Miles. Please be careful with any accusations made, thank you.
    Dont get arrested SGG it was me i did it.:)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Reminds me of the story I heard about a heap of Starfleet Uniforms that were stolen from Paramount, and the perpetrators returned them anonymously. It was never confirmed, but it was alledgedly something to do with trying to create credible copies?

I don't get it, I thought props of this kind of value were hallmarked or ID stamped to make theft like this a fools errand? ?:)

Plus - the timing raises eyebrows.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    edited October 2008
    I agree fully with ohm5s

there is no way it was an original Golden Gun stolen... it seems a bit silly that the Bond film producers who have a perfectly good props archive would get another company to look after one of there most treasured items.

yes something very dodgy going on...

maybe its the same people who stole the original ASTON DB5 From Goldfinger...

I bet it was an SD gun stolen. or the replica which they have been working on that ohm5s reffered to...
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    It is starting to spread over the web now. BBC says it was worth £80,000.

-> Times Comulist
    -> NY Daily News
    -> News Scotsman
    -> Wired
    -> BBC
    Thats what is says in the mail on Sunday.
    how many times to newspapers get it wrong every day ... msot of them are not worth reading.

I still dont beleive it was any of the originals
    The only reason i got the mail on Sunday is because i wanted the Live mag out of it. :))
    :))

BTW 8420 thanks for taking the blame for the theft of the Golden Gun for me, means a lot.

I will be sure to give you a call the next time I carry out an assassination with a weapon from my collection ....

Will you take the blame for that ? :))

ok back to the Gun which was stolen... Why haven't the Bond producers spoke out yet .... that sort of proves that is was not an original... and If it was I am sure they would know or have said something by now..
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,641Chief of Staff
    Please be very careful what you post about this item...what may seem a bit of innocent banter may come back and haunt these boards later....please, be sensible.
    YNWA 97
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    indeed - if an orignial WAS stolen, it wouldn't be too strange for fan forums such as this to be investigated...
  • 037 Scaramanga037 Scaramanga FloridaPosts: 160MI6 Agent
    jdebord wrote:

HI everyone,

here's my take,

i've owned many different SD studios GG that i can distinguish one GG from another, people claim there are two generation GG but this is incorrect, there are actually three generation SD studios GG's, with seven differnt variations, this was because Steve of Sd made improvements little by little.

ok, the picture of the GG shown with the yellow background is a first generation SD studios GG, it was actually one the first one hundred or less made, it has a hideous cigarrette case with oversized case lids, the GG shownn in the Imperial war museum is an SD studios second generation GG no doubt about it.

So if any of these two guns were stolen, it was not an original.

• Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent

Anyone who knows 037 knows that that he eats, sleeps and sh*%#@ golden guns so I would consider him to be a foremost expert. I agree, highly unlikely it was original.
    "I musht be dreaming."

Anyone who knows 037 knows that that he eats, sleeps and sh*%#@ golden guns so I would consider him to be a foremost expert. I agree, highly unlikely it was original.

Why.. thank you Shatterhand i'll take that as a compliment, {[]

• Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent

Why.. thank you Shatterhand i'll take that as a compliment, {[]

It was indeed a compliment. You da man when it comes to the GG's. Who would know better than Scaramanga himself...Now I have to troll for another thread to respond to this evening for my ceremonial 200th post.
    "I musht be dreaming."
    edited October 2008
    Yes I have to agree with Shatterhand67 that Leo is the guy to investigate this "theft" of the "original"

I know a reasonable amount about the Golden Gun, the original and the replicas most of which I have learned myself through research and analysis and also from Leo himself, Leo is the godfather of the golden gun, in the props and collecting community in gaining knowledge about this particular prop.

Ok I think it is fairly obvious that the one in the Elstree display is clearly a 1st generation GG SD Replica. very clear to see and refering to the points made by Leo .

check the comparison. below

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/173915737_ffb6e5e5f6.jpg

and

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/2272/Golden_Gun.jpg

you can clearly see its the same replica. with the oversized handle like Leo said. and compare the pen top,

If this is the Golden Gun that the supposed prop maker created, he had an easy job making that .

outbidding somone on eBay and paying for postage and packaging and a ? to Elstree Studious were is my Cheque? for all that hard work :))
  • jdebordjdebord Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    Is anyone familiar with the gun featured in this article?

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1.254135

Thanks,

Jason De Bord
    jdebord wrote:

Thanks,

Jason De Bord

HI Jason,

this gun in the articlle is one of the three originals.

i have a better picture of this GG, but i don't know how to post it here, i will email the piture to Mike McCluskey (The Quartermaster)and he will be able to post it on this site.

• ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Jason

FYI the GG u refer to in the IWM exhibition is an SD studios loaned to them by J Reynolds (according to the legend to the right of the gun). I have pics to verify, and know John very well...

cheers Paul
    Thanks for the information everyone.

Just to be clear:

1) The golden gun that was on display at the Science Museum was an SDS replica.

2) The golden gun on display at the Imperial War Museum is an SDS replica.

3) The golden gun featured in the News & Star article, owned by Peter Nelson, is original.

Also, a few more questions...

Has an EON-owned golden gun ever been part of a public exhibition/display?

Does anyone have any good photos (including publicity photos) of an original golden gun?

037, if you e-mail the photo, I'm happy to host and upload here - jason@originalpropblog.com.

Thanks again,

Jason De Bord
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    jdebord wrote:

Thanks,

Jason De Bord

Its in the Christie's catalog Dec 12, 2001
    Goto page 113 Lot # 275
    Here is the wording in the catalog:
    "It is not certain for what purpose this replica was made, but it was possibly made for promotional purposes by one of the companies associated with the gun, i.e. Colibri, and is not a piece made by the prop department at Eon."

This gun is really different from what is shown in the film and I doubt it is one of them. The only similar detail is the waterman pen which became the barrel for the GG.
    edited October 2008
    The December 2001 lot is available online with a photo in Christie's archive:

http://christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=3839539&sid=259b993a-eda7-4bf6-886a-fcf9d12abed9

Price Realized
    (Set Currency)

* £1,116
    * ($1,609)

Estimate

* £600 - £800 ($865 - $1,153)

Sale Information

Sale 9287
    film and entertainment
    12 December 2001
    London, South Kensington

Lot Description

The Man With The Golden Gun, 1974
    A twenty-four carat gold-plated replica gun with self-assembling parts comprising a dummy Colibri lighter, a dummy pen to form the barrel, a dummy cigarette case to form the handle and a 'cufflink' to form the trigger, with two corrresponding gold-plated replica bullets inscribed 007 -- 1½in. (3.8cm.) high -- the licenced replica of Scaramanga's golden gun from the 1974 United Artists/Eon film, manufactured by S.D. Studios, circa 1995, mounted on a wooden presentation plaque with brass plaque inscribed The James Bond Collection, By S.D. Studios Ltd, The Golden Gun, 451 of 5000; accompanied by a xerox pamphlet The Golden Gun, Assembly Instructions; and a document concerning the provenance (4)

Apparently, these guns were made to order so, although the gun was advertised as a limited edition of 5000, not all of these were produced.It is thought that there are only a few hundred in existence.

d3839539x.jpg

Jason
    The projection was a limited edition of 7,500 GG's
    i've seen two SD studios GG with the plaque of 5,000 rather than 7,500. maybe Steve realized that number was too high to meet as his company was going south.:(

edited October 2008
    That's the wrong one buddy - its LOT 275.
    http://christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?pos=7&intObjectID=3839543&sid=
    Everybody know what an SDS GG looks like.

We are talking about the GG per your question here
    edited October 2008
    here is the original one held by the owner Peter Nelson in that article...

a big thanks to Leo for this picture

its clearly 2 colibri lighters shoved together with tarnishing all over.. ... No wonder Cubby was furious...I don't blame the man.. i would be very angry too at paying £10,000 for this

GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=80815ed2-0221-47a5-a344-a2d1fc3d0a14&Aux=4|0|8CAFC9CE7F88E60|
    edited October 2008
    No - he is not holding the one in Leo's picture - but the other one he bought at the Christie's auction per my previous posts. His and the one in Leo's picture are different.
    I see .... so when did this all start with the sticking 2 lighters together to form the top of the gun... why is there 2 guns with this 2 lighter design ?

I see Nelsons gun has the S on the handle like my replica and Leo's pictured prop gun is plain...