What was Bond's worst wardrobe?

SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
One area where I am experiencing a certain degree of disquiet in the run up to QoS is some of the confirmed elements of Bond's wardrobe.
To my mind white Levis are simply not Bond & I keep remembering Dennis Norden's adage that "Middle Age is that time of life when, no matter where in the world you go, you always pack a cardigan."
Bond packs one to go to South America in this film.
To be fair I was never convinced that Brioni,Omega & BMW'S were very Bond either.
This got me thinking which of the Bond films to date has Bond most looking as though he got dressed in the dark?
For myself there is one outstanding example of a Bond film that style forgot. The one with the white Dinner Jacket. The one with the white suit & pink tie. The one with the plaid jacket & polo neck combo.
The sartorial disaster that is DAF.
What would be your choice?

Comments

• AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'm not a fan of that, thing Bond sports for the Leiter/Della wedding.

Rest of LTK's apparel is fine, just not the tacky beginning.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited October 2008
    Everyone always goes on about the pink tie! I'm not actually that bothered by the design of Bond's wardrobe in DAF; frankly, I find Tiffany's clothing far more annoying, being so clearly "designed" and designed for St.John at that (as opposed to the character). I think the big issue with the DAF costumes is that they seem like the wrong choice rather than outright ugly or ridiculous.

To my mind, the title of worst wardrobe goes to either MWTGG or TLD: the clothes in MWTGG actually aren't bad, but they more instantly date the film than any other in the series. And while I appreciate Dalton's idea that Bond's clothes should be off-the-rack so as not to attract attention, I don't know that that should equate to ill-fitting, as much of his wardrobe is in TLD (particularly his tux, which is a huge "no-no").
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 241MI6 Agent
    No doubt about it DAF wins hand down. The entire wardrobe for the movie is either boring or totally non-Bond. The blue shirt with evening dress was one that was missed.

To be fair to Dalton in TLD he was cast so close to the beginning of shooting that they did not have time to get his suits made to measure. PB had been measured for the suits and then lost the role.
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Dalton's top hat in LTK for the wedding doesnt seem right and im not sure about PB'S navy uniforn in Tomorrow Never Dies with Sean and Roger the navy uniform looked right but i think George Lazenby looked smart in the highland clothing.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,778MI6 Agent
    For me it has to be the Terry Toweling romper suit that Connery wears in the Miami beach hotel scene in Goldfinger.
    Many outfits can be excused as fashion statements of the day in the films, but this one was truely dreadful.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    This shows you it is an 80s film the Dungerees that Bond wears in nasa does not look right and the tracksuit he wears at shrublands in the same film.
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Definatley the 'safari suit era' of The Jolly Roger' .Although for Balance ( and to minimise the flak from Sir Roger's supporters) I think that Moore in some sections of LALD looked particularly good ( overcoat and gloves and Black Polo Neck & Black trousers) Also his hair was very good. I temember seeing LALD on the day of it's release at the Odeon Leicester Sq (my Dad took me) & the souvenier programme made a big deal of "the hair, clipped shorter, the look sleeker, but still unmistakingly Janmes Bond" So it was a deliberate decision to re-style fo the new boy. In fact LALD was another attempt to go 'back to basics' after DAF just as OHNSS was after YOLT (new Bond syndrome...probably another topic...)

Coming after the disasterous Pink Tie & dodgy wig of DAF it made a striking contrast. It's a pity that the worst features of mid-late seventies fashion featured quite so heavily from there on in... but the films were 'of their time' and were trying to appear modern rather than stylish (stylish ages better)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    In my opinion, Bond's least desirable wardrobe item was that blue thing he wore at the Miami hotel in Goldfinger. It's the one clothing item that never sat right with me.

I would probably have to go with either DAF or TMWTGG as my least favourite film overall for wardrobe.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Lazenby's tweed jacket & cravat combo at Draco's estate in OHMSS. (Director) Peter Hunt said he picked George's wardrobe himself, based on clothes he wore - better leave it to the actual wardrobe people Peter.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • SpectreBlofeldSpectreBlofeld AroundPosts: 364MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    In my opinion, Bond's least desirable wardrobe item was that blue thing he wore at the Miami hotel in Goldfinger. It's the one clothing item that never sat right with me.

Yeah, what the heck WAS that thing, anyway?