Is QoS the 'fan's Bond film'?

All these 3-star reviews claiming that the film is so intense, and that it will disappoint those 'yearning for the days of the gadgets' are, ironically, starting to excite me more. I doubt that any of these are written by a genuine Bond fan. The ignorance within some of them serves as proof. Could it be that QoS, with its dark (Fleming-esque?) nature, and 'icily cold' Bond, could be our treat? It certainly isn't shaping up to be the Average Joe's idea of a Bond film...

Comments

• DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    It's probably a CBT-Flemingist type of thing
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    DAWUSS wrote:
    It's probably a CBT-Flemingist type of thing

I like 'em all. Some more than others, but still all of them.

It doesn't matter to me whether they are exactly like the book or not. When I'm watching a Bond movie, I forget about the book and just enjoy what's in front of me.
  • discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    I don't know if I long for the gadget laden days of yore, but for such a short film, they crammed a lot of stuff into it. I don't mind less gadgets and an absence of Moneypenny or Q, and I loved the action of CR, but.....I just hope they didn't cross the line into nothing but action. What I liked even MORE than the CR action was the dialogue and the slower character driven pieces. I mean, why have Haggis around if you aren't going to use him properly.
  • SeahawkSeahawk Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    I don't think we need be worried about Haggis not being used properly. Watching the "Move your ass" clip I was very taken with the content.Very naturalistic dialogue, a genuine sense of time & place, a perceptible & plausible danger,a quintessentially British critique of the U.S.Government's M.O.(Implicitly) a quintessentially American interpretation of British History.Deliciously understated, dry, ironic humour.
    And we are shown why Bond respects & admires Leiter so much (How many Bond films have bothered to do that?)
    At the clips end we are moving into an action sequence which clearly serves the requirement of the plot (rather than vice versa)
    All this in 91 seconds of screen time.
    Have to give Haggis his due, the man has talent.