This Week - Welcome back Mr Bond!

Well, this friday, Bond is back... at least if you live in the UK ;)

This time 2 years ago, I waited with both excitement and trepidation for Daniel Craig's debut, and it didn't fail to deliver.

This time, I'm filled with a similar sensation - the negativity from the dark corners of the press left me slightly perturbed. However, their reasons suggest to me that they simply don't understand what this film is trying to be, and I'm delighted to see some more glowing reviews popping up.

Come friday, I think we may have another OHMSS or LTK on our hands - a controversial entry that may split Bond fandom right down the middle.
So bring it on!

:007) :007) :007)

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,490Chief of Staff
    I've been trying to avoid knowing too much before I see the film (have been trying not to look at any spoilers, not watching the TV shows, etc). And trying to keep an open mind till then!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited October 2008
    Well, this friday, Bond is back... at least if you live in the UK ;)

This time 2 years ago, I waited with both excitement and trepidation for Daniel Craig's debut, and it didn't fail to deliver.

This time, I'm filled with a similar sensation - the negativity from the dark corners of the press left me slightly perturbed. However, their reasons suggest to me that they simply don't understand what this film is trying to be, and I'm delighted to see some more glowing reviews popping up.

Come friday, I think we may have another OHMSS or LTK on our hands - a controversial entry that may split Bond fandom right down the middle.
    So bring it on!

:007) :007) :007)

Absolutely right---whatever else might be going wrong in the world/politics/economy, we've got a new Bond coming out {[] Thank God.

I'm with you, IEU2D---though I'd say that we got another OHMSS in '06, and now seem set to get a modern metaphor for LTK in '08---and the sense of polarity looks to be equally pronounced this time round.

Frankly, I tend to buy (film unseen!) the basic growing consensus that QoS won't rise to the level of CR, which was (to my mind) a Modern Bond Classic. This doesn't bug me in the slightest; nor do the scattered grumblings about a lack of humour (again), since in the "Meeting Agent Fields" clip alone I've seen evidence that the smart, subtle character-based humour is in play once again. Of course, the fact that we have a henchman with a cereal-bowl haircut---named Elvis---ought to convince anyone that we're looking at some pretty sombre goings-on, here :p

On my favourites list, I rank three films ahead of CR: FRWL, DN and GF. How in the world could I reasonably expect QoS to vault into that exalted territory? Unseen, I fully expect QoS to trump the entirety of the Moore and Dalton eras...and possibly the Brosnan one as well---on the strength of Craig's interpretation of 007.

To do that, it would have to come in ahead of my current #9, which is GE...will it go that high? Maybe, maybe not. But if---as the departed Benskelly loved to assert---Bond #22 is a referendum on Daniel Craig...even the most hostile early notices confirm that he owns the role :v

:007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • FFF77FFF77 Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I have a question for anyone who has been to a premier. I am new to the UK and dont know how they work here. I dont get off work until 5 and wouldnt make it to the square until around 6. Is it worth running down for? Do you see anybody when they leave the theater? Any advice?