Best book for a definitive history of Bond?

What's the best book to buy that has a detailed and definitive history of the Bond character from writing of the novels to the making of the films films, the casting of the actors, the problems on set etc.?

There's so many books out there but alot of them don't just seem to include too much information.

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    "Martinis, Girls and Guns" by Martin Sterling and Gary Morecambe is a good choice. It covers everything from the birth of Fleming to the release of Die Another Day.

I don't have a huge number of books about Bond, so I'm not sure what else might be better, but that's the best one I've got.
  • Andy362Andy362 Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    Thanks for that, I've managed to find it quite cheap and it's got alot of good reviews.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Might I suggest you look for John Cork's James Bond:The Legacy.This book is pretty nigh a definitive history of EON's 007 films and also deals with Ian Fleming's novels.The Legacy was published to coincide with 007's 50th anniversary in print and EON's 40th anniversary.Doesn't cover Craig, but does deal with everything from Dr.No to Die Another Day.Author Cork is the man behind all of those special "Making of" documentaries featured on each of the 007 DVDs.

Another book to look for is Raymond Benson's The James Bond Bedside Companion.This is a serious analysis of the literary James Bond and his world,featuring a detailed history of each of Fleming's novels(and an in-depth portrait of the James Bond character himself).The book also covers most of the Bond movies,too--although it was written before Craig became the current 007.Benson may well be the preeminent James Bond scholar.Check it out!
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I also have James Bond: The Legacy. I haven't read all the text in the book - only a few select passages. Aside from that, though, the book is a visual feast with loads of photos. Definitely one to look for! ;)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The Legacy is a GREAT Bond reference tome!

And I picked up Benson's Bedside Companion (the updated version) at an antique shop. (of all places)

Both essential reading. :)
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Another book to look for is Raymond Benson's The James Bond Bedside Companion... The book also covers most of the Bond movies,too--although it was written before Craig became the current 007.Benson may well be the preeminent James Bond scholar.Check it out!
    Doesn't the Brozzer even qualify as a speed bump? :v
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Another book to look for is Raymond Benson's The James Bond Bedside Companion... The book also covers most of the Bond movies,too--although it was written before Craig became the current 007.Benson may well be the preeminent James Bond scholar.Check it out!
    Doesn't the Brozzer even qualify as a speed bump? :v

:)) :))
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Henry Chancellor's "James Bond The Man And His World" is in my opinion THE source for all material in regards to Ian Fleming's James Bond novels.
    Just a wonderful, wonderful book.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Andy362Andy362 Posts: 11MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I've read quite a bit of ''Martinis, Girls and Guns" and I've enjoyed it, it's exactly what I was looking for, so thanks to Golrush007 for that. I'll take a look at some of the others people have recommended.