Never Say Never Again special edition DVD

Hi Guys, im new here so go easy lol....

I was just thinking wouldnt it be great if there was a special edition of NSNA on DVD, much like the Superman II Richard Donner cut, complete with gun barrell sequence/Bond theme and opening titles and the like? Id also love to see documentaries on the making of the movie and maybe a Connery commentary.

BTW this was the first Bond i saw in the cinema

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Welcome to AJB, Robocop! {[] You'll have quite a lot of fun here.

I certainly hope they will put out a better edition of NSNA, with some extras, etc. I actually enjoyed this Bond film more than the other one that came out that summer (OP)... ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Welcome, RoboCop!

There is an unofficial DVD done by a fan, Never Say McClory Again, which incorporates the gunbarrel and DVD music. Make a donation of a fiver and he'll send you one for free, ahem!

There's a thread on it here:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=25353
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Count me out of the camp which insists we incorporate EON trademarks. (gunbarrel and Barry score) They were never made in the first place! Why do we insist on altering film history? It's simply a different production and shouldn't need those elements in order for one to thoroughly enjoy it.

I would certainly purchase a SE edition of NSNA, if MGM was prone on ever releasing one.

A short documentary with Carrera and Connery would be appreciated, but I don't count on it happening anytime soon.

Still, never say never .. ;)
  • FatsnbulFatsnbul Prospect, KentuckyPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    I think MGM purchased it to make it go away. Hold onto the copies you have. I doubt that it will ever be released again.
    Fatsnbul wrote:
    I think MGM purchased it to make it go away. Hold onto the copies you have. I doubt that it will ever be released again.

:)) Yeah...I'm sure they've outgrown that 'profit' phase some businesses go through, like so many wayward teenagers...
  • FatsnbulFatsnbul Prospect, KentuckyPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Fatsnbul wrote:

:)) Yeah...I'm sure they've outgrown that 'profit' phase some businesses go through, like so many wayward teenagers...

When was the last time it was released? It was still Warner at the time. MGM will not release it. They are embarassed by it. If it comes out in the next five years I will gladly admit I was wrong.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,472Chief of Staff
    Fatsnbul wrote:
    When was the last time it was released? It was still Warner at the time. MGM will not release it. They are embarassed by it. If it comes out in the next five years I will gladly admit I was wrong.

I think it was 2001, in the UK at least. A remastered edition wouldn't hurt, perhaps with a few extras (a Connery commentary? Couldn't complain!)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Mine's an MGM release from 2000.

Great transfer, trailer's in good shape too.
    Mine is one of those versions with the missing scene X-( X-( X-( ...the arcade scene and the moment when Bond first meets Largo X-(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    Eh? I thought there were loads of DVDs out there. Just nothing Special about any of them.

A commentary would be great, but Connery hated the production and would not want to relive it. But The Battle for Bond details some awful behind the scenes stuff, maybe Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais would be up for it, the writers brought in to fix it.

There was, apparently, some great action footage that didn't get used. Though when you learn one was a spectacular shot of a shark getting harpooned (er, for real if I'm not mistaken... :v ) then the appeal wanes somewhat...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Fatsnbul wrote:

My copy is MGM. . .

I'm not a fan of the movie - I have only watched my dvd once. It would have to be a really super special edition to convince me to double dip! ;)