Tips for seeing this film

1) You might need to sit a bit further back than usual. It's a bit Bourne like, and I made sure for the third movie I saw it from the balconly, like watching it on the plasma telly. That said, only the opening scene is really that hard to follow.

2) Avoid Odeon Leicester Square. It's not just me. I don't think the sound quality is that good. Graham Rye has mentioned it on another review. I couldn't easily hear the dialogue, though I could hear it. Try Greenwich 02 maybe, bigger screen, good quality. Again, balcony might be better.
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    I've said this in another thread, but I'll mention it here too.

The plot surrounding Greene's actions in Bolivia is - in my personal opinion - slightly over-complicated. If you get confused by it, don't worry about it. Just concentrate on the parallel missions of Bond and Camille.

:)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Not reading reviews would probably be the best tip...pity I haven't taken my own advice :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Ironically the awful 'spoiler' mentioned in the non-spoiler thread turned out to be bogus, so what gives. Will read again to check, but if it's mischief let's have the guy banned. Edit: and have done, I misread the spoiler, it's only minor but not having seen the film it seemed a big one at the time.

Loeffs, I'm afraid I may have to wade into this one on non-spoilers, though I've been positive about in to some extent on quick reviews. (And sincerely, the good points such as cinematography are very good). Anyway, that's one review you'll want to miss, so I'm giving you fair warning! :))

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    I'm taking the liberty of bumping this as it's fair advice I reckon. I won't make a habit of it.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    1) You might need to sit a bit further back than usual. It's a bit Bourne like, and I made sure for the third movie I saw it from the balconly, like watching it on the plasma telly. That said, only the opening scene is really that hard to follow.

I think you're absolutely spot on here, the further away the better to get it into perspective. I saw it for the second time today and sat closer than last time due to arriving at the cinema late and found it much harder to watch (particularly the opening sequence!) without feeling a bit lost in the editing.

I know this might sound (unintentionally) a touch patronising but I would also try to watch the film with as few pre-conceptions as possible. I did as others have and read a few too many reviews and expected a total horror of a film but I didn't find it that way at all.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    ...and don't forget to switch your mobiles off :v
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Hmmm, I'm pretty excited, though with the review sound bytes I've come across so far about the complexity of the plot (more so I guess than the typical Bond plot), seems like some benzedrine is in order, or at least making sure to choose a viewing time when I'm not tired. I'm even thinking of getting tickets for two consecutive showings but don't know if the wife would agree unless I ditch her somehow...
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    A few things:

Keep in mind this is a direct continuation to CR, giving that a look beforehand will help you understand what’s going on.

Remember that QoS features rapid fire editing. While it gets the heart pumping and keeps you on your toes, it makes it impossible to zone out or you will miss something – so concentrate!

The film is the shortest Bond film ever, though I hear it’s more than long enough for what the film demands. You’ll be drained and exhilarated, but just don’t go in expecting an epic OHMSS or CR length.

The film does not open with a gun barrel, but don’t fret, it’s at the end of the film. And yes, Craig doesn’t sleep around much in this film - for Bond to bed ten or so women in this film after losing Vesper in CR just wouldn’t be right. Nor does he use his catchphrases. I don't see how leaving these things out make it any less of a Bond film.

Everything is done for a reason in this film, to create an atmosphere and a particular feeling. If we understand that, when we step into the theatre we will be a step closer to appreciating it.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    In all seriousness, I'm thinking of skipping the popcorn and soda to forego the associated risks of gagging, bladder control and the needless preoccupation with 3 additional senses (taste, smell and touch) to distract my focus. I don't know if I'll be strong enough, though, since I've been craving for theater style popcorn since my last movie experience a few months ago.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    In all seriousness, I'm thinking of skipping the popcorn and soda to forego the associated risks of gagging, bladder control and the needless preoccupation with 3 additional senses (taste, smell and touch) to distract my focus. I don't know if I'll be strong enough, though, since I've been craving for theater style popcorn since my last movie experience a few months ago.

Get the small popcorn and munch it through the ads and trailers - problem solved :D :007)
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Or do what I did: go and see the film. It didn't make me vomit, it didn't confuse me (I have seen The Living Daylights, after all), it didn't give me a headache. Nor did my friends I saw it with, nor did people I've spoken to since. The camera went a bit crazy at times, the editing went chop-chop-chop now and then, but if you're going to start posting warnings on films that have shocking cuts and bravado camera angles, start with 1960's Psycho and work your way forward (tell you what, that shower sequence? What was Hitchcock thinking! You can't see a single thing that's going on before it cuts away).

Here's a tip for seeing this film: ignore anything anyone on this thread, or any number of threads like it, has said. Go see a movie and enjoy it.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    Here's a tip for seeing this film: ignore anything anyone on this thread, or any number of threads like it, has said. Go see a movie and enjoy it.

You know...that's got to be the most sensible thing anyone has said on this thread so far ! -{
    YNWA 97