Another Way To Die - Jack White & Alicia Keys

How well do you think the theme song worked in QOS?

When I first heard the song, I wasn't impressed. It doesn't have the explosivness of Chris Cornell's 'You Know My Name', and it obviously wasn't a typical Bond theme.

I also think that the duet doesn't work very well because their voices are just too similar, yet different at the same time. I think the song would benefit if it was just Alicia Keys doing vocals.

I know I'm new here and it looks like I'm slating everthing about Quantum of Solace, but I'd like to say that - dispite my early dislike - I think this song actually works. It fits the tone of the film and it wasn't at all out of place.

What did you think about the song before you watched the film? And more importantly, what do you think about it now that you've seen it?

I'm just glad that they left out the weird vocal/guitar solo. If you have the original song, you'll know the bit I mean!

:)

Comments

• ak007ak007 LondonPosts: 343MI6 Agent
    I am pleased to say that the song did work in the film.
    When i first herd it, i didn't care much for it. But after about 6/7 times of listening to it i liked it, and i think that you right in saying that It fits the tone of the film. But i think i need to see it again. Does anyone know where i can see it online? (I dont mean the music video, I mean when it is played in the film.)

But on the other hand i don't really understand the lyrics.

Chorus
    A door left open
    A woman walking by
    A drop in the water
    A look in the eye
    A phone on the table
    A man on your side
    Someone that you think
    That you can trust is just
    Another way to die

WTF?
    AllBonds-1.png
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    For me the title song was probably the worst aspect of the whole experience.

It just isn't Bondian!

I loved Chris Cornell's song for CR - it used the chords of Norman/Barry's JB theme and the melody was closely related, yet it has an originality that makes it really memorable despite its appropriate structure.

This one was so bad I have succeeded in wiping it from my memory; when I go in for another viewing in a day or two, I'll just have to plug my ears during the main titles!

The two voices don't even sing in tune with each other: I'm amazed they allowed it to go out in that state, unless they wanted it to sound that rough?!
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Not sure about all the hate for AWTD -- musically, it reminds me rather of TMWTGG, with some influences of OHMSS and LALD. I think it's too early to return to the bland warblings of the likes of Garbage or Madonna, which are better suited for the lighter Brosnan outtings. I haven't seen QoS yet . . . it may in fact be so different from a typical Bond film that it grates on the senses but for now, trying something more unique is fine with me.