B***ard

OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
This is something which ocurred to me watching CR for the first time, and has cropped up again in QOS: Judi Dench's pronunciation of the word, sorry, "B*stard".

She speaks with a "standard" south of England accent, so she really should start the word with "Bah"; however, she gives it a short "a" vowel as in the pronunciation in the north of England, Wales and Scotland.

The funny thing is that in the trailer for QOS she does use the "Bah" vowel in the line "it would be a pretty cold b*stard", yet in the actual film it has magically changed to the "northern" pronunciation.

The question is: "Why?"
Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    Yeah I noticed that too. She does seem to struggle with that word. Maybe it just sounds comical to say the 'bah' pronunciation to American ears, so they made her change it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    From an Australian perspective - my mum took it as being an Americanisation. Maybe it was changed for them.

Also down under we pronouce it as bar - sterd.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    I have a soft Scottish accent. Fellow Scot's with a stronger accent themselves sometimes think I am English, most people of other nationalities or cultural upbringing pick up I am a Scot almost immediately.
    Depending on mood and temprament how I pronounce certain words can skew dramatically. - Especially swearing! It runs in my family, if someone goes brogue in both pronounciation and use of slang, watch out! :#

In this case though I think it might have been a re-shoot skew. Often footage from unused takes makes its ways into film trailers, so as not to give away the context of the actual dialogue in the film scenes.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    The long drawn out arh is more of a home counties inflection, while the shorter ah is much more regional (and particularly Yorkshire/Georgie/Lancastrian) ... perhaps the director should have directed his actors a little better?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,620Chief of Staff
    Osato wrote:
    The funny thing is that in the trailer for QOS she does use the "Bah" vowel in the line "it would be a pretty cold b*stard", yet in the actual film it has magically changed to the "northern" pronunciation.

The question is: "Why?"

Because the 'north' is better :)) Plain as !

If you want to hear that word expressed in a great northern twang, then listen to Dalton in LTK -{
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I always thought that she said Ba****d with a more northern accent as a way to make her not seem too "posh"...to sort of make her fit in with her male contempories....

Just a thought....
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony