Gemma Arterton's character

Apologies if this has been posted before, but does anybody know/think that there must have been several Miss Fields' scenes cut due to the actress' poor performance?

Spoilers now but the character basically just meets Bond, sleeps with Bond, trips over a bad guy (in a very clumsy attempt by the producers to make her seem worthwhile I guess) and then dies.

Surely the writers must have originally intended for her to have more scenes?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    Nicko1234 wrote:
    Spoilers now but the character basically just meets Bond, sleeps with Bond, trips over a bad guy (in a very clumsy attempt by the producers to make her seem worthwhile I guess) and then dies.

Seems pretty standard for a secondary Bond girl. They don't always die (Manuela in MR, for example), of course.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Nicko1234 wrote:
    Apologies if this has been posted before, but does anybody know/think that there must have been several Miss Fields' scenes cut due to the actress' poor performance?

I doubt it. Arterton's a decent actress. Check out her foxy performance in the otherwise lamentable St Trinian's movie. She got good reviews for a recent production of Tess of the D' Ubervilles. Apologies to Hardy if I spelt that incorrectly.
  • maddyhindmaddyhind UKPosts: 106MI6 Agent
    Arterton is normally good ( although I loved the St Trinian's remake anyway) but she is a little..lacking in this.Still one of the better characters though
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Perhaps she was comic relief but it didn't work for the tone of the movie so it got cut.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    Apparently Fields has a traditional Bond-girl name like Pussy Galore or Plenty O'Toole, but you have to check it out in the credits because it's not mentioned on-screen.

Can anybody enligthen me as to what her character's actual name is? I'm sure I'll see the film again at some point, but I'm itching to know what name they gave her!

:)
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    My thanks go to Barbel who has PM'd me the answer. I wont spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet.

• TPSilverMoonTPSilverMoon Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Apparently Fields has a traditional Bond-girl name like Pussy Galore or Plenty O'Toole, but you have to check it out in the credits because it's not mentioned on-screen.

Can anybody enligthen me as to what her character's actual name is? I'm sure I'll see the film again at some point, but I'm itching to know what name they gave her!

Strawberry Fields.

t.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    edited November 2008
    Gee, thanks. I deliberately sent carter 35 a PM to avoid spoiling the joke for anyone who hadn't seen the movie, such as our US friends.

Edit- Thanks for adding the spoiler, jsw!
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    I must say that she didn't irritate me. I liked her, not a hot girl but a beauty. She could have more scenes, more character development, but I think that goes for almost every character in the movie.

I think she's very pretty.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    Most Bond films have a "sacrifcial lamb" whose unjust death adds to Bond's determination in his efforts against the villains.

Think of Jill & Tilly Masterson in GF, Aki in YOLT, Paula in TB (am I right?), Plenty in DAF, Rosie in LALD, Vijay in OP, The "Countess" in FYEO, Paris in TND, the list goes on.

She also lends a whole lot of glamour to the precedings; how about her appearance at the Greene Planet party in that dress?! (Funny how Bond could fix her up with a stunning designer frock at short notice, in a most unlikely location!)
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.