Craig "We're ready for a black bond"

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/next-americans-want-a-black-james-bond/article/2557244
    From the Washington examiner.
    " Americans want a Black Bond " the poll also showed the Popularity of other Bonds.
    They also found that Sean Connery remains the most popular Bond actor ever, with 50 percent picking the Brit No. 1. He was followed by Pierce Brosnan (19 percent) and Roger Moore in third place (17 percent), Craig (11 percent), Timothy Dalton (2 percent) and only non-British Bond, George Lazenby (1 percent).
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:

Of cource there are black Swiss and Scottish families. ... But you can't find black families there that has been a part of the national upper class for centuries. They don't have official crests with familiy mottoes in latin and their families haven't lived in many generations in a place like Skyfall lodge.

As resident Scotsman here, I can confirm that Number24 is accurate with the above re Scotland- though I know nothing about Switzerland.
    Sean Connery remains the most popular Bond actor ever, with 50 percent picking the Brit No. 1. He was followed by Pierce Brosnan (19 percent) and Roger Moore in third place (17 percent), Craig (11 percent), Timothy Dalton (2 percent) and only non-British Bond, George Lazenby (1 percent).

Seems reasonable. We'd all make one or two adjustments of course! :))
    To me it seems amazing that Connery has made such an impact, over generations
    that for 50% of the population of America He IS still James Bond ! :)) it's also
    Nice to see Pierce getting some appreciation, as lately he seems to be taking a bit
    of a kicking from some fan boys. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Well, for many people (and not just oldsters like me and... a few others round here... :D ) that is the case- Connery IS Bond.

Re the Pierce bashing, it's just part of the cycle. Once Craig is replaced his turn will come.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    This is so old. Main characters are what they are,

Create a black OO8 and make HIS movies- not only would I be okay with that, I'd be EFFIN' thrilled!!!!! PLEASE BRING IT EON!!!!!

Wonder Woman as a guy?
    Tony Stark gay?
    Thor a woman??? (OMG, they're actually thinking about that, right-?)
    John Shaft white?
    Blacula as Whiteula???
    Where does it end my friends?

I'll tell you. In creating new cinematic mythos instead of relying on old ones.

Sorry, the Star Trek mentality of infinite diversity has affected my discussion here......
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Many people write off Star Trek as just a tv show
    But since I started watching it as a kid. It's shown
    Me how race / Religion doesn't matter {[] Just make
    loads of money and treat everyone like crap ! :))
    treat everyone like crap ! :))
    It's the way of things...
    Julian Cleary as Shaft, now that's a film I'd go and see ! :))
    Yes that would be a drawback, but I'm sure if he'd make a good fist of it. ;)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    :)) :))

I have to question your Sanity sometimes Stag -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    You'll never get Stephen Hawking to play Bond, as he's made it
    Public knowledge that he wants to be a Bond villain !
    ( This is not a joke, he's a Bond fan, and has said he'd love to be
    A villain ) {[]
    Technically, Bond would have to loose against Mr Hawking if he became a Villain. Because the Sight of Bond beating up a disabled Person would be rather controversial (Not counting Blofeld in his Wheelchair :)) )
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    There could be a Wild, Wild West ending with Hawking's chair full of gadgets.
    Also give him a suitable henchman, and away you go. May be a huge
    Albino guy with pink eyes called " Pinky" they we'd have " Pinky and the Brain" ;)
    :))
    He could escape from Bond right at the End of the Film via a little Helicopter Rotar that he has hidden :))
    More sanity questions arise here... :s
    stag wrote:
    Hopefully you get the point............................
    A subtly as being impaled against a palm tree. ;)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    The way of the world nowadays. Disagree & you're a racist. Unfortunately this term - or the threat of it - has gone into common use in order to slap down people who have differing viewpoints. However, & as exasperating as this may come to those who play this as their ace, I'm rather too old to play the PC game so continue say it as it is face to face as well as across the ether.

My two cents again - I personally don't have a problem with those who are skeptical about whether a Black Bond would work. I am such a skeptic myself. But I think this portion of your response is a bit flippant and dismissive. No doubt there are some people who occasionally deploy what some would refer to as derisively as the "race card". But I find that far too often the cries of "stop playing the race card" or "that's just being PC" are really just diversions from addressing actual issues surrounding racial discrimination or lack of diversity. I am not suggesting for one second that you are doing that here, so please don't take my comment that way. My intention is merely to remind folks that there are legitimate views on both sides of the "Black Bond" debate that really don't have anything to do with being racist or playing the race card or trying to be PC. (Okay, the "old man" is climbing down from the soapbox now. Carry on! :007) )
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I have no idea why I'm wading into this, but I am going to do so anyway (even though I should know better!). For me, Bond needs to be of reasonable height (sorry Peter Crouch and Warwick Davis). Male (sorry Emily Blunt). Physically fit (sorry James Corden). Handsome (sorry...well, I'm too polite to name anyone) and be able to act (rules out Keanu Reaves). And finally - but of massive importance to me - he needs to have an impeccable English accent and the bearing of a well-raised/educated Englishman (rules out a return by George Lazenby :D ). Therefore, I would have far more trouble with a non-British actor who can't 'do' an English accent than I would someone black who can.

While I certainly see where people like Number24 are coming from in asserting that a black Bond would be a different Bond because he couldn't have the centuries-old, established, wealthy British pedigree, I would actually have considerably more trouble with an ill-mannered/poorly-spoken Bond than I would a non-white Bond.
    I would actually have considerably more trouble with an ill-mannered/poorly-spoken Bond than I would a non-white Bond.
    I totally agree.
    .... an ill-mannered/poorly-spoken Bond .

So you didn't like my audition tape then. :))
    It was all those "blimey"'s and "bugger"'s & nose-picking what lost you the role, mate.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    .... an ill-mannered/poorly-spoken Bond .

Actually, I wanted to hire you but the same people who originally rejected Monica Bellucci rejected you. It's all jealousy, TP, don't take it personally!
    I have no idea why I'm wading into this, but I am going to do so anyway (even though I should know better!). For me, Bond needs to be of reasonable height (sorry Peter Crouch and Warwick Davis). Male (sorry Emily Blunt). Physically fit (sorry James Corden). Handsome (sorry...well, I'm too polite to name anyone) and be able to act (rules out Keanu Reaves). And finally - but of massive importance to me - he needs to have an impeccable English accent and the bearing of a well-raised/educated Englishman (rules out a return by George Lazenby :D ). Therefore, I would have far more trouble with a non-British actor who can't 'do' an English accent than I would someone black who can.

While I certainly see where people like Number24 are coming from in asserting that a black Bond would be a different Bond because he couldn't have the centuries-old, established, wealthy British pedigree, I would actually have considerably more trouble with an ill-mannered/poorly-spoken Bond than I would a non-white Bond.

{[]
    :# and I thought I couldn't haf done it any gooder.
    I won't ask the leading lady to pull my finger nexy time. :v
    Perhaps guys, before someone misreads a post or takes it the wrong way.
    We might leave the discussion hete ? ;)
    stag wrote:
    Let me take the recently released Film about James Brown - would it have been wise to cast a white actor in that role? What about the Film about Ali starring Will Smith. Acting aside, I am more qualified for the role than he could ever be, I am an ex prize fighter, of similar build & of the same division, however one thing which disqualifies me is the colour of my skin. Would I be bitter if I had gone after the role Or indeed had got it & been shot down by the critics afterwards? No & I expect any white man playing Ali would have expected the same. I hope you get my point - again.

I hate to break it to you, but James Brown and Muhammad Ali are real people. Bond is a fictional character. There's a difference.

I understand the problem some have with Bond being portrayed by a Black actor given Bond's history in both literature and film. There's nothing inherently racist about that point of view. Again, my point is that those who advocate for a Black Bond shouldn't all be dismissed as merely misguided adherents to some silly "PC" mindset. To me that's just as unfair as saying that anyone opposed to a Black Bond is racist.
    my point is that those who advocate for a Black Bond shouldn't all be dismissed as merely misguided adherents to some silly "PC" mindset. To me that's just as unfair as saying that anyone opposed to a Black Bond is racist.
    Unfortunately, balance and reasoned thought generally make way for a polarizing , er.. black and white... view.. of things...
    Okay, I'm not a professional writer, someone else say what I'm saying better. :))
    stag wrote:
    I will bite if that's what you want?
    Silly silly British man.