Bond 23 Director

I would really like to see Christopher Nolan directing a Bond. Because of Batman Begins, Dark Knight and Memento. You agree?

Comments

• Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    Definitely but it won't happen.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    How about bringing back Michael Apted?
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • jp_beattiejp_beattie Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Why was Martin Campbell not used on Quantum? Did he turn it down? He did such a good job on CR, I would have stuck with him, especially as it was a direct sequel.
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    I have for several years wanted to see Nolan direct a 007 film, but now after the success of TDK I fear it may never happen. Even after Begins he was still small enough of a director to be considered by EON, but now they would never let someone as big as him do it. Even if he agreed to do it for a low fee I do not see them hiring him. It would cease to be a Bond film. It would be a Christopher Nolan film. The only chance he would have had to do a Bond film would have been CR in 2006. I am glad he did not though because the film he did that year, The Prestige, was the 2nd best film of 2006 in my book.

Nolan is an excellent director. It is a shame he could never be considered for a Bond film now. I seriously think he will go down as the best director of this decade. Insomnia was a solid movie, but his his two Batman films and The Prestige are all excellent films. If you count Memento from 2000 he has five films so far this decade that I have rated 9/10 or higher. Best of all he is only in his late 30s, so we can expect many more great films from him for many years to come.
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    yodboy007 wrote:
    I have for several years wanted to see Nolan direct a 007 film, but now after the success of TDK I fear it may never happen.

Apart from money, why wouldn't they hire him?

Martin Campbell would also be great.
    Michael apted can also make a good movie with Craig, would be interesting.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,630Chief of Staff
    schaduwoog wrote:
    Apart from money, why wouldn't they hire him? [Nolan]

Bond directors do not receive the degree of autonomy someone like Christopher Nolan would require. The Bonds are producers' movies above all; EON dictate certain limits on where the films should go and how the characters should be handled. MGW contributes heavily at the writing stage and with BB oversees the shooting, editing etc more than most producers do. Since they are paying for all of this and have many years of success behind them to point to, they have every right to do so but this doesn't appeal to every director.
  • schaduwoogschaduwoog Posts: 97MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    schaduwoog wrote:
    Apart from money, why wouldn't they hire him? [Nolan]

Bond directors do not receive the degree of autonomy someone like Christopher Nolan would require. The Bonds are producers' movies above all; EON dictate certain limits on where the films should go and how the characters should be handled. MGW contributes heavily at the writing stage and with BB oversees the shooting, editing etc more than most producers do. Since they are paying for all of this and have many years of success behind them to point to, they have every right to do so but this doesn't appeal to every director.

I think with good talks and meetings MGW and BB and a director can work it out and make a great piece, but you are probably right that Chris Nolan would like more independence.
  • PDJamesBondPDJamesBond Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    Not only is autonomy an issue, but also the fact that EON never wants the director to be more talked about than Bond. They always want to keep it a "James Bond movie" and never a "Christopher Nolan" or "Steven Spielberg" or "James Cameron" movie.

So it would have to be someone less known to the general public. I would love to see Martin Campbell back, and I agree that Michael Apted could do some interesting things with Craig (love the more intimate scenes in TWINE).

Just as long as it's not Brett Ratner :))
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    I don't know if Brian Singer would be a good choice or not. I loved his X-Men movies, but I hated Supes Returns. I suppose it's more about the story that goes with.