Revenge Movie ???

Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
So Barbara Broccoli said "No this is not a revenge movie"

Quite clearly it is. This is Daniel Craig's Licence to Kill.

"It would be a pretty cold ******* who didn't want REVENGE for the death of someone he loved" - M

Discuss
The name's Bond_James_Bond

Comments

• c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    The most interesting part of the film is the revenge part. I personally thought the story behind Greene's schemes were too confusing, they probably should have just concentrated more on the revenge aspects.

Although, I guess it's not all about the revenge. It also introduces Quantum and reveals more about the previous film, giving interesting twists and turns to the original plot.

However, this doesn't change the fact that revenge is the main theme of the film. There's nothing wrong with a bit of revenge now and then.

"I don't think the dead care about vengance" - Bond. (But I think you do, Mr Bond!)

:)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited November 2008
    Mind you, I haven't seen the film yet ( X-( ), but I have seen about twenty clips (each about a minute in length), from various key scenes, and I sense that Bond's internal denial that he's after revenge is a lynchpin of the much-maligned plot (or lack thereof, depending on whose opinion you're reading).

The moment when he tells M that Vesper's boyfriend isn't worth it---"And neither is she!" (Vesper) ---seems to say it all. Like much of what apparently happens in The Reviled QoSTM that doesn't involve a chase or an explosion, it's very subtle and seems to be getting overlooked. If so, it's a directorial issue.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    It's not a revenge movie. Much of the plot's dramatic tension comes from the fact that it keeps us wondering what Bond's motives (and feelings) are--we doubt him, and it is probably unclear to him as well for some time. But the ending makes it clear that Bond was just doing his job. Remember when M says, "I want you back", his answer is "I never left"... I think he actually means that. It just took him the length of the movie to work it out, but he does. In this context, the movie is all part of the curve by which bond becomes Bond (the ruthless, unfeeling professional).
    Having said that, there's no doubt that QoS borrows (purposely) from LTK and invites us to make that association.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    But Camille is after revenge though?

:)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    It's not a revenge movie. Much of the plot's dramatic tension comes from the fact that it keeps us wondering what Bond's motives (and feelings) are--we doubt him, and it is probably unclear to him as well for some time.
    I totally agree. Although I think, deep down, he is trying to work out, or perhaps justify what he is doing. There is that line when he is talking to M and she warns him about being motivated by revenge, he corrects her
    Bond: I'm not motivated by revenge, I'm motivated by my duty.
    I really think he has that as his primary goal throughout the movie, however, although he continually says that he's over Vesper and he never loved her (yeh, right :D ) we defiantly see a contradiction of that, (the great martini scene) and sometimes the lines of revenge get blurred.
    It just took him the length of the movie to work it out, but he does. In this context, the movie is all part of the curve by which bond becomes Bond (the ruthless, unfeeling professional).

Yes, the movie was the portrayal of his journey, you can see him almost getting used to killing, seeing how it feels. How it fits with him.
    However I don't agree that he is "unfeeling"...
    But I like the fact, at the end, he didn't kill Vesper's boyfriend. He has to show restraint...and he did. Almost like he (the boyfriend) wasn't worth it, and that shows a deeper side, not just a killing machine.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony