Will Moore ever watch Dalton's films?

yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
edited November 2008 in The James Bond Films
We all know that Roger Moore says he has never seen Dalton's films because he wants to avoid the question "What do you think of Timothy Dalton's Bond?" I can understand why he avoided the question when those films were first released because he had just left the role and patronizing comparisons between him and Dalton were inevitable. But those films were made twenty years ago and there have been two new Bonds since then. It is a shame he, as far as I know now, has not seen at least GE because that film most will agree is great. He has seen some of Sean's films I am sure and he definitely has seen DAD and CR. I remember that DAD was the first he saw since AVTAK and that he praised Brosnan but nothing else about it. Then he surprisingly watches CR and loves that film and praises Craig. He is an honest man, so why not go ahead and watch the Dalton films? I know we would all love to hear his views on them. I bet he would like them.

What do you guys think? Why should he avoid the questions now? He has seen and commented on DAD and CR, which are both quite controversial in a way.

Comments

• TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    Hi I remember him saying about the last film he did and that the films that came after his ones went a bit too far i think he meant Licence to kill as that did go a bit too far and i think he complained about other action flicks ie die hard and so on were too violent i did not like LTK at all that is the only bond film i cant stand.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    You bring up a point that has always baffled me. The relative lack of support all the Bonds seem to have for each other.

They are all seemingly respectful of each other in public and outside of a few comments between George and Pierce there appears to be, if you'll pardon the expression, a bond between 6 actors.

However, they seem to be pretty casual about each other's tenure as Bond.Am I supposed to believe Connery, as competitive as he is, hasn't secretly checked out every Bond movie?

Everybody's on record as regard to Connery but what does, Dalton, for instance think of Lazenby or Brosnan, for that matter.

Lets face it, there are only six men in the world's most exclusive movie club. Its high time these guys get together for a round-table discussion and a few drinks.

I've said it before...its unbelievable that there is not one photo of these guys together. I mean its 2008, for crying out loud!

Never mind fans would be in Bond nirvana, these six gentlemen need to shake hands together, for movie history and, dare I say it, a beautiful closure to a very exclusive shared experience.

John Lennon said he was lucky that, unlike Elvis, he had three others who knew what it meant to be a Beatle.

Obviously only these six guys can truly understand each other's experience. Besides, you just know that with Roger there will be big laughs all around. Guaranteed 100%,

And besides, if there ever was such a meeting, you can be sure everybody would have seriously done their homework watching the movies.

I think Craig has been given the thumbs up by all of them...which means at least they are up to date. And in agreement. Is that a first?

"That's a Smith and Wesson. And you've had your six."
    One more thing, yodboy. I just remembered that a golden opportunity was lost last year when Connery recieved his AFI Lifetime Achievement Award. Now THAT would have been the perfect moment to gather all the Bonds at once.

Connery was having a whale of a time with all comments about 007. Pierce was there and Craig popped up in a taped message but where was Roger?

Bringing all the Bonds out would have brought the house down...and then some.

Its called Showmanship...with a capital S. And old-school at that.

Men like Louis B. Mayer and Frank Sinatra would have made that happen in their sleep.

To paraphrase Mathis in CR: "Accountants are now running Hollywood."

"But James, I need you."
    "So does England."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,630Chief of Staff
    bigzilcho wrote:
    Am I supposed to believe Connery, as competitive as he is, hasn't secretly checked out every Bond movie?

It's not impossible. He was quoted once (can't remember where) as saying that his grandchild wanted to see GF with him in the 90s, I think. It was the first time he'd watched it since the premiere and he enjoyed it.
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    bigzilcho wrote:
    One more thing, yodboy. I just remembered that a golden opportunity was lost last year when Connery recieved his AFI Lifetime Achievement Award. Now THAT would have been the perfect moment to gather all the Bonds at once.

Connery was having a whale of a time with all comments about 007. Pierce was there and Craig popped up in a taped message but where was Roger?

Bringing all the Bonds out would have brought the house down...and then some.

Its called Showmanship...with a capital S. And old-school at that.

Men like Louis B. Mayer and Frank Sinatra would have made that happen in their sleep.

To paraphrase Mathis in CR: "Accountants are now running Hollywood."

"But James, I need you."
    "So does England."
    I agree with you about Sean's AFI ceremony, bigzilcho. I made a post on here back in 2006 about how no picture of all the Bond actors together existed and that the best place do it would be at Sean's AFI ceremony. That would be the best place to do it because Sean is by far the grouchiest Bond actor and he hardly ever comes to events that had anything to do with Bond. But had the other five actors showed up that day and asked for a picture with him I doubt he would have refused. It was shocking to see only Brosnan there. Craig was too busy to come and his taped message was nice. Lazenby and Dalton are not that into Bond stuff, but they did at least go to the 2002 BAFTA 40th anniversary event for 007. I suppose they don't really know Sean that well. As for Sir Roger's absence, that baffled me. He must have had a big prior commitment because he is very sociable and is the most grateful of all the Bond actors. He is really the only one who probably knows the other five separately pretty well. Despite being the oldest, he is sort of like a bridge between the generations. I doubt Sean and Lazenby know Dalton and Brosnan that well. Craig is new and it will be interesting to see who he hangs around. So far only Sir Roger and Pierce have been in photos with him as far as I know.

But, yes, these six actors, while all respectful of each other and grateful of their time as 007, do behave quite strangely when it comes to attending events and watching/commenting on the new movies. I just hope that Sir Roger, the sociable one, and maybe Craig, the current one, can get the gang together for one photograph. Perhaps in 2012 for Bond's 50th anniversary we can get them all together. Not to sound morbid, but one doubts if Big Sean or Sir Roger will be around in ten years time. They are not getting any younger! Do the photo, dammit!
  • TobiasTobias Chelmsford UKPosts: 115MI6 Agent
    I seen on the net somewhere Roger is advertising the bond blue-ray dvds somewhere and i went on to a website last night and he was saying he liked all the bonds,I think george Lazenby has met Roger Moore and they seemed to get on as it mentioned Spoiler alert in his new book
    Yodboy, not only do I shake your hand but I salute you.

Where is the photo?

You know, I've griped about this so often I've become a broken record. Its good to see someone else understand the significance of this occasion. Its not just a frivolous who-cares affair. The House of Bond can never be truly complete until six men collectively say hello to each other, the fans and, ironically, James Bond.

For you see, yodboy, what else is Bond but a self-continued universe in itself. And the men who played this legendary character have never truly come to terms with the fact they are the first six men in a lineage that, mark my words, will NEVER end. I repeat for the cheap seats in the back. NEVER.

As Cubby said, when asked when how long Bond would last:"Until doomsday."

As long as movies are made, Bond will exist.

As you said, Roger is the catalyst in any kind of meeting. Not only is Roger the most sociable I absolutely believe it would be impossible to say no to the charm of the man, not even Sean would decline an invite from his old friend.

Its a win-win-win-win-win-win situation all around for the men who form what Dalton has referred to as the Silhouette Club.

And lets face it, could there ever possibly be a more hip-hip hooray moment for the fans?

I am astonished that no one besides a handful of Bond-fans are even talking about this.

Have the show-biz brains at Vanity Fair gone to sleep? Does Eon even care? Is there anyone in Hollywood who appreciates show-business and its historical legacy?

The answer is a big shrug. Take comfort in the fact, yodboy, that there are others out there who have noted this strange lack of unity in the Bonds. If enough fans murmur and whisper someday the photo will take place.

"World domination. Same old dream."
  • Herr MichaelHerr Michael Posts: 360MI6 Agent
    While it might be nice for the fans, I doubt the six of them want to sit around and talk shop for three hours just to please us.
    You may be right Herr Michael. But how do we know that these guys wouldn't want to meet themselves, for purely selfish reasons, never mind what the fans want?

But if that were the case, it would have happened already.

Obviously, actions speak louder than words.

"I'm beginning to like you, Mr.Bond."
    "Call me James."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,328MI6 Agent
    To answer the first question, I don't think Moore likes Dalton's approach. Why? Well in his autobiography more often than not he refused to slag off anyone in detail, saying 'It's always better to say nothing I suppose...' And that's what he's doing here... plus he says 'I must be honest with you, I've never seen his films...' according to Bond himself in the novel OHMSS, that's a phrase one uses when telling a lie!

As Moore has commented on Brosnan and Craig, I think there's a reason why he blanks Dalton, it's that kind of English reverse and not wanting to make a negative quote.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    To answer the first question, I don't think Moore likes Dalton's approach. Why? Well in his autobiography more often than not he refused to slag off anyone in detail, saying 'It's always better to say nothing I suppose...' And that's what he's doing here... plus he says 'I must be honest with you, I've never seen his films...' according to Bond himself in the novel OHMSS, that's a phrase one uses when telling a lie!

As Moore has commented on Brosnan and Craig, I think there's a reason why he blanks Dalton, it's that kind of English reverse and not wanting to make a negative quote.
    You are probably right, Napoleon. I have always thought that he must have seen at least one of Dalton's films since they first came out and simply did not want to say anything since he had nothing nice to say.

What still baffles me though is why he dislikes Dalton's approach. I know all people have the right to an opinion and I respect that. Usually conflicting opinions with someone concerning something as trivial as this does not bother me. But with Moore's behavior about the Bonds who have followed him I am confused. He most likely has seen a Dalton film and disliked it. However, he has made it clear that he has seen Craig's approach and loves that. We all know that Dalton and Craig have very similar approaches to the role. Craig is probably more gritty and dark than Dalton ever got to be.

So, I am looking more for an explanation for Moore's opinion rather than trying to complain that Moore does not like Dalton's approach. Most on here agree that TLD would have been a good fit for Moore and that is was written for him in mind. partially. What in that film could turn him off? What in either of the Dalton films could possibly disturb Moore so much that he has nothing good to say about them? How can he think all of this and still like Craig's approach? This confuses me! I demand answers. :))
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Save for TSWLM - and maybe Moonraker, both of Dalton's films are better than Moore's anyway. ;)