Bond Is A Bad-ass! Spoiler Alert

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Well saw the movie now twice on this side of the pond. 12:00AM on the 14th and 1:00PM same date. I think the critics who poo-pooed QOS are full of gas. James Bond is a bad-ass, thank EON! There are many things I like about QOS. But what I liked the most is Daniel Craig's portrayal as Bond. One scene in particular that I liked was when Bond stabs a guy in the shoulder and then the leg and waits until he bleeds out. It shows Bond's knowledge of self defense and how to take out an oponent quickly and efficiently. Keep it coming Brabara and Michael. Good work!

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    It's quite worrying that I appreciated that scene for the same reasons. How PC are we {[]
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Asp9mm wrote:
    It's quite worrying that I appreciated that scene for the same reasons. How PC are we {[]

I guess not very. I guess we're blood thirsty. But hey, blunt instruments should not be PC.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    there were so many bad ass moments- my favorite was the motorcycle flip.
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    I love it when Bond is taken away by other agents and is ordered to hand over any weapons. He calmly pulls a knife from somewhere and passes it to the guy.

:D
  • Monza860Monza860 USPosts: 501MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    there were so many bad ass moments- my favorite was the motorcycle flip.
    I think this is the most bad ass moment in the movie hands down. He just so easily flips the bike and knocks him out like it was nothing with very little effort.
    Away at Boot Camp, won't be back until April the earliest.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/monza860/
    I love it when Bond is taken away by other agents and is ordered to hand over any weapons. He calmly pulls a knife from somewhere and passes it to the guy.

:D

Yeah, need to figure out what that knife is. There is a thread in the memoribillia and collecting forum about it. The problem is, I saw the knife sheath as leather, not kydex. We'll see.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    The Bond that Fleming created was never a bad ass, and IMO Bond should not be a bad ass.
  • SIS7777SIS7777 Lots of different placesPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    Flemming created Bond in the era of the gentleman spy, which doesn't exactly fit in today's time. As was stated in CR 'MI6 looks for former SAS types'. Flemming's Bond stated numerous times that he was no assassin in the books, and killed only because the job called for it. The new Bond is clearly described as an assassin, thus it would make sense for him to be fairly bad ass.
    edited November 2008
    Yes, that is correct, Bond, according to the re-tooling, is former SBS and therefore is a bad-ass. Also, Fleming's Bond was an arrogant SOB and a bad-ass. Perhaps not as outwardly so, but nevertheless a tough character. I think Craig's Bond fits the time. Like Connery's Bond fit his time and Moore's fit his. I just could not see today's Bond going on a space romp a la Moonraker. I like the harder edge.

That scene, after the knife kill where Bond bandages his arm and cleans up his face is straight out of Thunderball. Remember the bullet grazing of Bond's leg during the Junkanoo? Bondian, very Bondian.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    The Bond that Fleming created was never a bad ass, and IMO Bond should not be a bad ass.

One of the badass moments listed here was Bond stabbing a guy in the leg and letting him bleed out. Fleming's Bond did exactly that in one of the novels. Straight up through the femoral artery.
  • PaperbillPaperbill FloridaPosts: 810MI6 Agent
    How about when he knocks the guy off the motorcycle? That was awesome
  • kinserfan11kinserfan11 Posts: 35MI6 Agent
    Bond should be a bad -ass because they is way he is in the books!!! not like roger movies or Seans comic movies- he is supposed to be agent with Licence to Kill; not some comicX-(X-(
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent

I think what he is becoming is one of those badasses that you whoop and holler over, seeing all those amazing stunts and vicious kills in a glorified manner. Which, in that case, I would agree.

Bond is supposed to be brutal, cold, and calculated, but not in a show-off type of way, and he only does it when he has to.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    It's actually been a very long time since I've seen a Bond film and actually let go of my anxiety during the first viewing (1995). Regardless of whether I knew anything about the story or not, I was always ticking off things on a checklist in my head. It was the second viewings that I was able to appreciate what I was looking at and catch the finer details in the story.

QOS is a very different story because it's a lot of action jammed in with little stops for quiet moments. That in fact reflects the title and the theme of the story. Now that I can understand that and appreciate it, I can go back and really enjoy viewing it. I look forward to the quiet moments even more because it's like Bond coming down from an adrenaline rush.

My favorite badass moments were swinging gunshot in Italy, motorcycle clobber as mentioned previously in this thread, "I really think you people should find another place to meet.", elevator-headbash escape, and chop in the foot for Dominic Greene.:o
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,811MI6 Agent
    I also liked the scene where he goes down the elevator with the MI6 guards, knocks them out and casually kicks an arm so the elevator door can close.
    Here is something else that I thought was very bad-ass. Althouh not outwardly so, it was the scene in the airplane where Bond is drinking his sixth Vesper. I mean, I tried the Esquire recipe for the Vesper corrected for alcohol proof to the time of Fleming with quinine added for the "Kina" in Kina Lilet. Let me tell you, one can put you under the table, let alone six! And don't mention how bitter the damn thing is. You have to be a bad-ass to drink like that.

It all goes back to Fleming and I'm glad. The Connery Bond's were laced with Bond's ability to drink too. I'm so glad Bond is a bad-ass again.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Monza860Monza860 USPosts: 501MI6 Agent
    And don't mention how bitter the damn thing is. You have to be a bad-ass to drink like that.
    To be honest it really shouldn't be bitter, if the drink was made correctly as in shaken till ice cold there shouldn't be much of bitterness to it.
    Away at Boot Camp, won't be back until April the earliest.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/monza860/
    Monza860 wrote:
    And don't mention how bitter the damn thing is. You have to be a bad-ass to drink like that.
    To be honest it really shouldn't be bitter, if the drink was made correctly as in shaken till ice cold there shouldn't be much of bitterness to it.

Try adding quinine powdwer in the amount that the Esquire article recomends. I'll eat my trilby if it's not bitter. The cold does not change it.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    I've never tried it, but I've heard elsewhere that it's got a very bitter taste.

:)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters

Hmm. I can't really go along with that. To me, Fleming's Bond was always the very definition of a badass---the Rolex knuckleduster in OHMSS, the knife to Red Grant's groin in FRWL, etc.

That moment, in QoS, when Bond just wipes out the MI6 agents in the elevator, then comes back round to say a couple more things to M, before climbing out onto the interior ledge of the atrium to make his escape...

I sat there, in the cinema, and said out loud: "Look at him go..." :x

To my mind, Daniel Craig is it. It took someone 40 years to equal (or surpass!) Sean Connery...it will be a while, I think, before anyone matches this high-water mark.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    What's interesting is how other characters in the books think of Bond, which tends to be very badass IIRC. Fleming almost delights in the thug perception of Bond at times. I don't think thug precludes appreciation of a decent Martini - one almost appreciates it more I would think, hence Bond's affinity to wallow in luxury when able to (almost as much as the wallowing he does in mud, swamps, deep woods, guano islands, etc.).
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    Craig played Bond superbly. He is every inch the part.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    if bond has a badass surely q branch could equip him with some prep h...maybe with a laser firing applicator?
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Yeah, Bond's real tough...he can take out two trained and armed MI6 agents in an elevator within seconds, but yet struggles to bring down wimpy Mr. Green in the hotel during a protracted fistfight at the end of the movie.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,811MI6 Agent
    Some years ago a drug addict went crazy with a large knife in Oslo. Two of the best martial art-practitioners in Norway happened to be at the scene and tried to take him down. They did, but only after some time and after suffering at least one cut each. I also remember from Andy McNab's autobiography from the SAS when their hand-to-hand instructor said the best defence against an opponent with a knife is running fast.
    And Greene had a big axe!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited November 2008
    I've read that defending yourself against a crazed individual with a deadly weapon is much more difficult than against someone who fights with a recognizable system or discipline, because of the unpredictability and irrationality of the assailant.

Every Bond film can be dissected like a frog in a high school science class---this is a plot hole, that doesn't make sense, why did he/she say that?---and such things are a boon to internet fan chat, especially with obvious escapist fare like James Bond. With CR, it remains a cottage industry here, two years on...and no doubt a similar fate awaits The Reviled QoSTM :o :)) C'est la guerre.

I think Craig's Bond is aces---many great Bond moments in QoS for me, despite the film's flaws and problems---and I can't wait for his next one.

It's just a bit of fun at the cinema, after all!
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Bella_docBella_doc Quantum's next target (Canada)Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    I can't believe no one here mentioned Bond leaving Greene stranded in the desert with only a can of motor oil for drink ...that made my jaw drop !!! :o :D

Or is that considered more cruel than BAD-ASS!!! ™ ;)