In the Perla de las Dunas....

Did you think Bond was *actually* going to shoot Camille?

I can't decide if I did or not. I had that moment of "No, of course he won't. Surely not. But maybe he might!!" - the desired effect of the scene obviously.

Half of me thinks that with scenes such as Mathis in the skip its something that wouldn't be that far out of context in the film if handled properly - Camille was seeking her quantum of solace as well if you like.
The other half of me thinks that in a 12A film that wouldn't be appropriate and was never going to happen.

Just interested on what everyone else was thinking, particularly when you saw it the first time before you know that it played out as it did.

Comments

• Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Yes he was going to do it. She asked him to do it also.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    When I first saw it, I don't know if I fully understood the intentions. When somebody on here mentioned the idea of suicide I thought I'd missed part of the film or something?! But when I saw it again, I realised how emotional it really is.

It's a wonderful part of the film. But as you say, suicide isn't something that can graphically be on display in a 12A film. Though if you get drawn into a film, you can forget about stuff like age-rating!

:)
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    DC's Bond would I think best be termed "Dirty Bond" not only because of his beat up appearance, but because DC's 007 is totally ruthless, and without conscience when it comes to his work.

Would he shoot Camille, hell yes! and I don't think he would worry over it either. Bond's remorse over Vesper was that he loved her - and was willing to give up everything for her. then got betrayed. That cracked his shell and ****ed him off, but that was "personal". When he is at work Craig's Bond is more violent and ruthless than ANY other oo7.....amazing!
  • Monza860Monza860 USPosts: 501MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Are you talking about the scene when there huddling together in the fire and he takes out his gun?
    Away at Boot Camp, won't be back until April the earliest.

http://s274.photobucket.com/albums/jj258/monza860/
  • lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    Yes, that's the one I'm on about.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,615Chief of Staff
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Yes he was going to do it. She asked him to do it also.

That's exactly how I saw it, no doubts.
    YNWA 97
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    You know, that is what I thought too..the first time round. That she was asking him to shoot her and to 'make it count' but I was like...no, surely Bond is not going to kill her.

And then he shoots the energy tank instead, and I just thought I had 'got that bit wrong' but obviously not.

Can I be as bold to ask then....why didn't he? Did he think he knew best...and that it was just a moment of weakness for her...for what she had just been through?
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    I definitely took it that he was gearing up to shoot her. Unfortunately, in a scene that for me had no suspense, or for that matter, much emotion, which I'm sure it was gunning for - no pun intended (but then, for me, the film lacked any emotion). It was a given that some clever way out was about to be found, especially given the final poster of the pair of them walking away from it. However, the sudden reveal of the energy tank, or whatever it was, appeared more like a deux ex machina than a clever way out, unlike, say, Bond's escape from the embassy in CR.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,615Chief of Staff
    Lexi wrote:
    Can I be as bold to ask then....why didn't he? Did he think he knew best...and that it was just a moment of weakness for her...for what she had just been through?

My...my...I like it when you are bold Miss Lexi !

Bond was going too...he starts to bring the pistol up to her temple...asks her to close her eyes...but then the 'tank' appears...'one shot'...he made it count.
    YNWA 97