May, The Scottish Houskeeper

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
I was wondering if EON had thought about introducing Bond's houskeeper May into the series. She's never been seen on screen, but was featured in the novels. What do you guys/gals think?

Personally, I think it would be cool to see Bond back at home, disgruntled as hell being a desk jockey and chomping at the bit for action. All the while having affairs with three married women.

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited November 2008
    I've been thinking so for a long time, Donald, which is why I started this thread:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=28384

As you can read there, I took a right pasting for proposing it :)) Many say it's an 'out of date' notion for Bond to have a housekeeper in the 21st Century---that a naval commander and superspy can iron his own clothes and make his own breakfast---but I think this misses the point.

What a great way to explore Bond's womanizing-as-coping-mechanism, his tendency toward depression and self-destruction when not on assignment, etc.

If I were given a shot at the script for #23, I'd certainly propose it...but I've read somewhere that Barbara Broccoli has poo-pooed the idea, because of it being 'out of date.'

Pity if so :#
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • spy009spy009 Posts: 57MI6 Agent
    I think May could be used,Bond is never home ,so a house keeper could stop by once a week to keep the dust off the table,it could just be a quick scene where Bond is leaving for an assignment and comment that when will he ever stay home...
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    As I say though, do we really want to see not an assignment? She's just going to tell him off and he gets enough of that from a certain old woman at work! He'd be possibly the most browbeaten hero on the screen!
    Have him meeting up with some old Navy pals, anything rather than him getting bounced off a variety of grey haired ladies.

And, yes, it would make him look like he can't iron his own clothes, which I daresay would turn off some of the ladies in the audience who have turned up because they love Danny; and we all know how Babs keeps one eye on that crowd. Perhaps he does get a cleaner in, perhaps he gets his car washed by a bunch of Albanians on the high street: just not sure I need to see it in a spy thriller.
    edited November 2008
    Well, we need to kill the old woman at the office, let's get that straight :D

As for May, it's all in how it would be played. Personally, after the frenetic (and kinetic) speed of QoS, a three-minute scene with Bond at home (his push-up ritual, breakfast with the newspaper, May frowning at the woman sneaking out the back door, etc.) doesn't seem to be asking too much.

Ms. Broccoli speaks of continuing to take risks with the series...I think this one would be well-received. But if she's opposed to May, it's a purely academic exercise to discuss it.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2008
    I've been thinking so for a long time, Donald, which is why I started this thread:

http://www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=28384

As you can read there, I took a right pasting for proposing it :)) Many say it's an 'out of date' notion for Bond to have a housekeeper in the 21st Century---that a naval commander and superspy can iron his own clothes and make his own breakfast---but I think this misses the point.

What a great way to explore Bond's womanizing-as-coping-mechanism, his tendency toward depression and self-destruction when not on assignment, etc.

If I were given a shot at the script for #23, I'd certainly propose it...but I've read somewhere that Barbara Broccoli has poo-pooed the idea, because of it being 'out of date.'

Pity if so :#

Loef,

Sorry I missed that post. Good call. I don't think having May as Bond's housekeeper would change Bond fundamentally. It's just another layer as to who Bond is. Would also like to see the Aston taken care of with jelouse care by a mechanic like the Bentley in the novels.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Loef,

Sorry I missed that post. Good call. I don't think having May as Bond's housekeeper would change Bond fundamentally. It's just another layer as to who Bond is. Would also like to see the Aston taken care of with jelouse care by a mechanic like the Bentley in the novels.

DG

Absolutely. Whatever character(s) or device(s) they decide upon, in furtherance of Bond's development, hopefully they'll take a bit more time in #23 to let us savour the moment :007)
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I've always wanted to see May in a Bond film, but with Judi Dench's M on the scene I don't know that we need another tough-as-nails elderly mother figure. That said, I've just seen Julie Walters as Mary Whitehouse (ha ha charade she was) in the TV movie Filth, and she'd be wonderful as May. One day, perhaps. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I kind of like Catherine Tate...I think that's her name? Craigger did that short film with her for Comic Relief a couple of years ago.

Might be better if May isn't too old, since we've already got one of those in the series... :o
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The idea of a young May could be interesting (if Bond could keep his hands off her), but Catherine Tate, one of the most annoying Doctor Who companions ever. . .? Perish the thought!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Never saw any Doctor Who...but Bond wouldn't have any trouble keeping his hands off her! :))
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,288MI6 Agent
    Well, we need to kill the old woman at the office, let's get that straight :D

As for May, it's all in how it would be played. Personally, after the frenetic (and kinetic) speed of QoS, a three-minute scene with Bond at home (his push-up ritual, breakfast with the newspaper, May frowning at the woman sneaking out the back door, etc.) doesn't seem to be asking too much.

Perhaps Harold Shipman could infiltrate MI6.

How about May as a security sweeper type, checks the flat is not bugged regularly and is protected against enemy attacks? Same sort of manner, maybe a Tamsin Greig type (Black Books)?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I think May is the Flemingist's version of Q and Moneypenny - a bit of "well, she was in all the books, we must have her in the movies!" but for no reason. Would she really make the movie better, at ALL?
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent

That sounds a little too much like Tony Stark's Pepper Potts or Bruce Wayne's Alfred Pennyworth. Some may say, that would be the perfect reason to have May. However, I think it would kick off more comparative arguments a la Bond vs. Bourne. And I didn't like Iron Man or The Dark Knight.

I think Bond does well enough on his own. Anything he can't manage for himself he doesn't need.
    Depends on how it's done, really. She's not really there to iron his shirts and cook his breakfast egg; she's there to reflect different aspects of his character.

But she isn't there at all---and she won't be---so...as I said, academic.

I'd like to see Bond at home, though, even if he makes his own breakfast egg...his morning exercise routine, a meal and the morning paper...then some really devious and destructive attempt on his life---revealing that Quantum knows where he lives...