Vespertini Esquire Link

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Here is the link for the Esquire magazine Vespertini:

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ1106DRINKS_84

See if you can drink six! Bond is definitely a bad-ass.

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Most I could ever handle was two, and that was quite a potent expierence. I think six would lay most anyone well under the table .... and leave them with a two day blackout!

I did bookmark the recipe for the Esquire version - but don't really agree with their accessment of the drink - even with todays materials.

I thought the original labels produced a smooth - and deadly mixture.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Thanks, Donald. I printed that up -{ Think I'll try six some day... :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Maybe I'll try making this version at Thanksgiving. Last Thanksgiving I made the kind Craig describes, so maybe this time I'll take the next step.
  • C_WalkenC_Walken Posts: 125MI6 Agent
    I did 5 once... but then again.. thats college for you (here in the states at least)
  • Mr WhiteMr White Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Tanqueray ruins it! I've tried it before with it. Gordon's Gin is the best by far for making one. By the way, no one could possibly drink 6 without passing out. That's 27 ounces of alcohol!
    Don't let's muddle this up with facts, Mr. White...

:)) :)) :))
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Mr White wrote:
    Tanqueray ruins it! I've tried it before with it. Gordon's Gin is the best by far for making one. By the way, no one could possibly drink 6 without passing out. That's 27 ounces of alcohol!

I agree and disagree with you on your points. Firstly, I agree that Gordon's is a better gin than Tanqueray, though I can see the potency part of the article.

Secondly, on the point of drinking six Vespers or 27 ounces of any liquor without passing out. It can most certainly be done. I have drunk 6 martinis on more than one occasion. I was plenty hammered, but no passing out. That is essentially a fifth of liquor, and that is not hard to burn through in an evenings drinking.
    edited November 2008
    Clarky wrote:
    ...on the point of drinking six Vespers or 27 ounces of any liquor without passing out. It can most certainly be done. I have drunk 6 martinis on more than one occasion. I was plenty hammered, but no passing out.

Bravo!

I'm not sure anybody said it was impossible...in fact, others elsewhere have dismissed it as somewhat insignificant---graduates of the Keith Moon School of Temperance, no doubt ;)

Re: QoS...Craig plays this scene fairly well, IMO---a nice balance of obvious impairment without being just another weepy, slobbering drunk---just what I'd expect in a loaded James Bond -{
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent

Bravo!

I'm not sure anybody said it was impossible...in fact, others elsewhere have dismissed it as somewhat insignificant---graduates of the Keith Moon School of Temperance, no doubt ;)

Re: QoS...Craig plays this scene fairly well, IMO---a nice balance of obvious impairment without being just another weepy, slobbering drunk---just what I'd expect in a loaded James Bond -{

Haha, no doubt. I agree with you on the acting. I think DC played it right.-{ -{ -{ -{ -{ -{
  • Mr WhiteMr White Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Clarky wrote:
    Mr White wrote:

I agree and disagree with you on your points. Firstly, I agree that Gordon's is a better gin than Tanqueray, though I can see the potency part of the article.

Secondly, on the point of drinking six Vespers or 27 ounces of any liquor without passing out. It can most certainly be done. I have drunk 6 martinis on more than one occasion. I was plenty hammered, but no passing out. That is essentially a fifth of liquor, and that is not hard to burn through in an evenings drinking.

It's guess it's possible if done over a period of time. The only thing is that in Bond's condition with not sleeping and all, it would have had more of an impact, but then again, it's the movies.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,290MI6 Agent
    Erm... we're not encouraging irresponsible drinking are we? You can die if you drink a whole load of spirits in one session. Why not try jumping out of an aeroplane without a parachute instead?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Erm... we're not encouraging irresponsible drinking are we? You can die if you drink a whole load of spirits in one session. Why not try jumping out of an aeroplane without a parachute instead?

My 'Bravo' was decidedly satirical; however, I'm all for thinning the herd.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    You must also remember that Bond in the novels was a heavy drinker. If you drink a lot on a regular basis, you obviously have a great deal of tolerance. Since I like a good scotch every now and again, comparatively speaking one Esquire Vespertini is far more potent than one scotch. It's the higher proof.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Sea DwellerSea Dweller Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    DC/Bond is a big guy - probably very dense too. So, he can drink more than us mortals.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    During the opening of DAD I had six large Vodka Martinis, a double Ardbeg and a Bellini at the old Scotts downstairs, then went on to share three bottles of champagne with a friend at the Connaught. Went to bed at three a.m. Woke up at 4:30 with alcohol poisoning and the follwing worst two days of my life :#:s

Amazingly during the whole evening, I was coherent and did not seem at all drunk to other people. I have never felt worse in my whole life and seriously thought I was going to die :D
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    During the opening of DAD I had six large Vodka Martinis, a double Ardbeg and a Bellini at the old Scotts downstairs, then went on to share three bottles of champagne with a friend at the Connaught. Went to bed at three a.m. Woke up at 4:30 with alcohol poisoning and the follwing worst two days of my life :#:s

Amazingly during the whole evening, I was coherent and did not seem at all drunk to other people. I have never felt worse in my whole life and seriously thought I was going to die :D

Thought you were making a joke about how bad DAD was.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Asp9mm wrote:

Yep, I know the feeling. Not good. After all, I used to be a sailor.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Yep, I know the feeling. Not good. After all, I used to be a sailor.

DG

Must be drilled into us then. That and the annoying fixation I still have with ironing everything absolutely perfectly.
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Must be drilled into us then. That and the annoying fixation I still have with ironing everything absolutely perfectly.

So true. I'm ex-Air Force, and still fold my underwear into six-inch squares :))
    Asp9mm wrote:

So true. I'm ex-Air Force, and still fold my underwear into six-inch squares :))

Do you iron shirts and then place them in drawers too, rather than hanging them on coathangers like civvies :))
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Do you iron shirts and then place them in drawers too, rather than hanging them on coathangers like civvies :))

Well, thank God I've got Mrs. Loeffelholz to keep me in line...but back in the day, everything ended up back in the duffel bag before long...