The Couple at The End

2»

Comments

• LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:
    The way I saw it, the whole point of that final scene with Yousaf was to show that Bond had finally grown up and was now able to separate his personal feelings from the requirements of his job. After all the chiding he'd gotten from M about needing to take his ego out of the equation and not making the assignment a personal vendetta, to have him then go and torture or kill Yousaf would have been 180 degrees opposite of where the character of Bond was supposed to be at the end of the film. If he did that he would have been exactly the same as he was at the start of CR and his entire arc over the two films would have been rendered largely meaningless. I guess that's why the also put the gunbarrel at the end as this was our first view of the "real" James Bond.

I totaly agree with you Tony, I thought that whole scene was designed to see Bonds maturity and "taking his ego out of the equation" even if it did take huge self control to do this. Craig's facial expression said it all, a controlled mask, as he looks at Yousaf with pure contempt and disgust, yet being professional enough not to beat the crap out of him, and who would not empathise with him if he did? But, he didn't. Out of all the people Bond kills in the movie, the one we would have totally respected him for, he shows restraint, and that, that shows his character developing and his feelings finally getting under some sort of control. I think M realises this too...

I also love the dropping of the necklace in the snow. He doesn't need that reminder anymore, as it was never really given to her with any great affection. The symbolism it represented to Vesper, was something that Bond was holding onto...yet when he realised it was just a 'gimmick' then he finally could let it go. And perhaps let her go too, although the love he felt for her, would always be with him, always directing him, consciously or not.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Agent Wade wrote:
    Just look at all the exploitable natural resources that Canada has to offer! Why wouldn't Quantum want a piece of that?

Canada is a parliamentary democracy so would not be as easy to subvert as some tinpot country in Latin America, South East Africa, or Africa, where the 'governments' are mostly top heavy thugocracies that can be bent more easily by Quantum's deep pockets.

But I can see that Quntum would want to turn members of Canada's secret services that have tabs in Alaska, the North Pole, and Siberia, the more politically critical regions during the Cold War and beyond.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'