Spoiler: Does "Mathis" as a . . .

cover name open the door to "James Bond" being a cover name?

I wouldn't like the idea, but it does suggest the possibility that at least some of the inconsistencies surrounding Daniel Craig's iteration as Bond compared to previous ones could be explained.

Comments

• discovolantediscovolante los angeles ca usaPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    Man, I really hope not, but i guess anything is possible nowadays. It was a perplexing scene, and your theory would explain what was meant by the dialogue. It seemed as though Bond and Mathis would have something else to talk about at that moment...I mean, why is Mathis not a good cover name? Yet another oddity of QOS.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    And let's not forget that if "James Bond" is a code name, that could cause discrepancies with what's already been established!
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    i believe that Mathis as a cover name means that Mathis always used his name, his real name for pretty much anything, but Bond (almost) used Arlington beech an R. Sterling.

If Mathis had used a different name in Boliva, perhaps he would live a little (little) longer.

Sadly or not, Craig's James Bond is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Bond.
  • Bella_docBella_doc Quantum's next target (Canada)Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    DAWUSS wrote:
    And let's not forget that if "James Bond" is a code name, that could cause discrepancies with what's already been established!

Nah, that would actually explain how an MI6 agent by the name of "James Bond" could be chasing after the latest in decoding technology in the 60's and battling druglords in the 80's without aging a beat, all the while drastically altering his appearance and accent ;) Of course, that means "M" and "Felix Leiter" must be long-established code names too...
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Just ten years ago, Bond was an old dinosaur. Now he's a wet-nosed little inexperienced screw-up. And yet he's always taking care of crises in the now. If you're looking for chronological accuracy or even a hint of continuity, you may as well order your straight jacket fitting now. It doesn't make sense, and I doubt it ever will.

Bond is a modern-day legend. He always has the newest stuff and is taking care of the newest threat. And I don't mind that one bit.
  • c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    I mean, why is Mathis not a good cover name? Yet another oddity of QOS.

It could have been included just to inject a light-hearted moment into the scene. It shows the 'bond' between them.

(Man that was corny.)

:pirate: