Vesper's Boyfriend

scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
Just something that's been niggling me a little.

I thought the scene at the end with vespers boyfriend was very effective but why didn't Bond kill him?

I thought this reboot idea and continuing storyline was to show how Bond became, well Bond? If EoN wanted us to see why Bond is the way he is a much more effective way of showing it would be by having Bond kill the man without an ounce of regret?

Do you agree? I mean in GoldenEye Bond killed his best friend without thinking twice about it, and not for the sake of the mission but for himself.

I'm just a bit confused... ?:)
http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.

Comments

• c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5c_a_r_t_e_r_3_5 Posts: 116MI6 Agent
    If Bond had killed him, how would he be able to give that one-liner to M at the end?

"Bond, I need you to come back."
    "I never left."

But in all seriousness, I think he spares his lfe because he's vital to MI6. It's almost like he keeps him alive to gain M's trust again. If he has just gone ahead and shot him, there's a good chance Dame Judi would be a little bit ****ed off.

:)
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    edited November 2008
    Agreed, Carter: M spent most of the movie complaining that Bond was killing all their suspects, making it more difficult to learn about Quantum. By choosing not to kill the boyfriend, Bond showed that he had learned and matured in his job, and didn't need the bloody revenge that he had been seeking after all. He tracked down and delivered the man to MI6, closing a chapter of his life, and moved on. The image of Bond dropping Vesper's "love knot" pendant (given to her by the Algerian) in the snow said it all.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Well, perhaps it's not as much instrumental to prove anything to M but more to the point of recognizing his job at that moment -- he's stumbled upon something called Quantum, eliminated all known players who've outlived their use, and now has one who is a potential pipeline in. Unlike LeChiffre or Greene, higher level functionaries whose failures brought the wrath of Quantum, Vesper's boyfriend might be innocuous enough that as a double agent, his loyalties wouldn't be immediately suspect. Keeping him alive for this purpose makes more sense than killing him.