Camille's dirty back

One of the things that really bothered me is that Camille seems to have dirt, sand and so forth on her back on several scenes. I hope I am not the only one to notice this but it rather bothered me.

I am not a clean freak but thought it was rather odd.

Anyone else notice and was set off by it??

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    It wasn't dirt--it was her complexion. I don't know if it's Olga's natural complexion or if it was supposed to represent burns from the incident in her childhood referenced in the film.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    I always inferred that it was burn marks from her childhood when Medrano killed her family and set fire to her house. If fact, didn't she say something along the lines of "he marked me in his own way"?
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    I will have to look again (3rd viewing) but just it looked dirty to me rather then burned ... :p

Perhaps if a reference that she was hurt/burned, it would have connected more to me.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    at first it looked like she was sunburnt, but I am sure, that the mentioned somewhere, that these are scars from being burnt in her childhood.
    (Have only seen it once...)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I'm not familiar with Olga's history, and I didn't do the research, but I was curious if that was an actual skin condition of Olga's and it was written into the story, or if it was a subtle make-up job for her.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Albeit a small detail, this is one of my favorite aspects of QOS, because it is a visual clue that goes unacknowledged for much of the film, until she tells the whole Medrano story to Bond on the plane. Whether or not it was an existing skin condition of Olga's (which I doubt) or a makeup job, I love that the filmmakers let us see it for a while without telling us what it was. A typical movie (including, let's be honest, most Bond films) would have her expose her back to Bond and shout something dramatic along the lines of "THIS is what he did to me!" Very glad Forster downplayed it instead -- nice not to have everything spoon-fed to us.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,566Chief of Staff
    -- nice not to have everything spoon-fed to us.

Amen to that, brother -{
    YNWA 97
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    Sir Hillary Bray, you make a good point and it is now making a sense to me. But for me during both of my viewings, I just thought she had sand or dirt on her back. May have been a preseption issue for me but I did not like it.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    She had scars. You kids spoonfed on the obviousness of movies of the past 20 years are to be forgiven for not realizing this.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,280MI6 Agent
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    On this site there's a photo of a woman displaying her back, which has second degree burn scars:

http://www.cprpgh.fanspace.com/photo4.html

This is pretty close to what Camille's back looks like. Such scarring happens when burning causes the skin to blister but doesn't penetrate the full thickness of the skin. Draw your own conclusions.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Gassy Man wrote:
    She had scars. You kids spoonfed on the obviousness of movies of the past 20 years are to be forgiven for not realizing this.

I do not doubt that it was meant to represent scar tissue from her burns from her childhood.

Whether or not they were convincing is open to criticism.

This is - IMHO - one of the thankfully clearer plot devices in the film.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,705MI6 Agent
    Don't forget Greene's line to Bond about her being very attractive 'as long as you get her on her back'.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Don't forget Greene's line to Bond about her being very attractive 'as long as you get her on her back'.

Ah! If that is referring to the scar, then there's one reference I missed :p
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    -- nice not to have everything spoon-fed to us.

Amen to that, brother -{

Yeah, definitely her scar and definitely a finer point of the movie. When she talked about her experiences with Medrano I said to myself...aha! that's what the scar is about. :o
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Predator wrote:
    Gassy Man wrote:

I do not doubt that it was meant to represent scar tissue from her burns from her childhood.

Whether or not they were convincing is open to criticism.

This is - IMHO - one of the thankfully clearer plot devices in the film.
    True, though they convinced me.
  • another way to dieanother way to die Posts: 111MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    i thought it was a tattoo on the traliar ,but then when i watched the film i find out it was a scar :007)
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,420Quartermasters
    On first viewing, I thought it might be sand - however, on second viewing I picked up that it must be a burn scar. As has been said before, good on Forster for not force-feeding such details to the viewer.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Yep I thought it was sans stuck to her back because of the heat of wherever she was, then reliase that they were burn marks from her childhood incident.
  • agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Green said: You are both how should i put it, damaged goods.
    also referring to Camille's back.
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
  • JimboBondJimboBond Lake Mary, FLPosts: 89MI6 Agent
    I didn't think it was sand or dirt; I thought it was some kind of burn. I kept on thinking how unsightly it was.
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    What ever it is, I don't have a problem with it. Camille is fine the way she is.
  • mpc08mpc08 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    definently scars from the fire
  • yodboy007yodboy007 McMinn CountyPosts: 129MI6 Agent
    edited January 2009
    I never thought of her dirty back as scars from her childhood. I always thought it was just dirt on her back from fighting and rolling around on the dirty ground or floor. That kind of impressed me because I saw it as good continuity. This is different from most films where a character may get really dirty after a fight or something but then is remarkably clean just a few minutes later even though we know they had no time or resources to clean themselves up.
  • FieldsFields Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    When I first saw it i knew it was a scar or a burn of some sort... the story of her house on fire to me just confirmed my suspicions. I didn't really take any notice of Greene or the General's quotes.