The most cringeworthy Bond moment

petelangerspetelangers ChinaPosts: 23MI6 Agent
Reading other posts there are lots of lists about silly/unbelievable/cringeworthy moments in the series.........but they never seem to include mine.......

Without a doubt there have been some shockers like, the beach boys in AVTAK and Tarzan in OP. The worst ever though never gets a mention. It happened while I was in the cinema watching one of the Brosnan pre-title sequences when he pushes the ejector seat in his MIG to propell the bad guy upwards.....who then crashes straight through the ubdercarriage of the MIG above him....and lands up sitting down in it!

The rest of the cinema were laughing, I was sat with my head in my hands wondering where did it all go wrong? (I came to the conclusion that it's Roger Moore's fault.

Comments

• A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    (I came to the conclusion that it's Roger Moore's fault.

Ha HA HA
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,700MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Without a doubt there have been some shockers like, the beach boys in AVTAK and Tarzan in OP. The worst ever though never gets a mention. It happened while I was in the cinema watching one of the Brosnan pre-title sequences when he pushes the ejector seat in his MIG to propell the bad guy upwards.....who then crashes straight through the ubdercarriage of the MIG above him....and lands up sitting down in it!

Which causes the MIG to blow up.

:)) :)) :))

(Backseat drivers :# )
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    Well I've always enjoyed the backseat driver moment - and it has never seemed to me to be a cringeworthy moment.

I would go for the Tarzan yell in Octopussy as my most cringeworthy moment. Also, the St Marks Square gondola scene in MR.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Carver taunts Wai Lin. A dumbfounding moment of martial art ridicule.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,338MI6 Agent
    Alex's quote is cringey, and all that brainwashing claustrophobia and shagging in Piz Gloria.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Cringeworthy?

It's more than a moment but how about nearly all of Telly Savalas as Blofeld.

He can't beat Donal Pleasance though .... what horrible casting! I'd like to know who came up with the notion that Blofeld should be totally bald.... it was a cliche in 1967 and 1969 and looks even worse after the Mike Myers "Dr. Evil" really lampooned it to death.

Sorry, prehaps I digressed too much, but in addition to the posts above, I never much liked the UK flag as a parachute! It's disrespectful.
  • DrMaybeDrMaybe Posts: 204MI6 Agent
    Most of the FX in Dr. No. Granted, it had the lowest budget of all Bonds, and it was made in the early 60s, but if it had stayed on course with standard action, rather then straying into fantasy, I wouldn't have noticed. The dragon car and No's death by cloudy hot tub are the worst.
  • rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I hate to criticize any part of DN, but that tarantula scene was pretty much ruined with the sloppy camera work. I can't imagine that being acceptable even by 1962 standards.

But for me the most cringeworthy moment is in TMWTGG where the two junior high Chinese girls defeat an entire martial arts school, then inexplicably drive off and forget to pick up Bond. Guess I just have to accept that entire Bond film was aiming for a more "light-hearted" approach.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Tarzan in OP and wave riding thing in DAD.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Beach Boys for me

The first time I saw it, I was like WTF ! :(|)
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,780MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    Cringeworthy?

It's more than a moment but how about nearly all of Telly Savalas as Blofeld.

He can't beat Donald Pleasance though .... what horrible casting! I'd like to know who came up with the notion that Blofeld should be totally bald.... it was a cliche in 1967 and 1969 and looks even worse after the Mike Myers "Dr. Evil" really lampooned it to death.

Donald Pleasence's casting as Blofeld in YOLT, was a last minute change. Orignally a Czech actor, Jan Werich was cast, but he was forced to drop out due to illness. Mr Plesence replaced him but one critic at the time noted his "boiled egg cracking" like appearance.

That was digressing! - For me the Tarzan and Barbera Woodhouse "sit!" moments in OCT for character comedy. - The Beach Boys in AVTAK, and the Whistle sound effect used over the car somersalt in TMWGG. - Ruining two otherwise excellent action sequences! X-(
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • InfernoInferno Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    Some good choices. I guess I'll have to go with the Beach Boys.

But making Bond Japanese was pretty stupid.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters
    edited December 2008
    Alex wrote:

Makes me laugh every time, though :)) Then again, I probably enjoy Carver more than just about anyone else here... ;%

There was a prolonged period, during this film series, where I cringed a lot. Or perhaps it was just one very long cringe :#

My top contenders: spiral jump slide whistle, the pigeon, lovestruck Jaws, scoring hockey goals with goons, Tarzan yell, Q in Union Flag balloon, Beach Boys, car split in two by collision in Paris, City Hall Fire ("Jaaaaameees! Don't leeeeaaaavvveee meeee!!!"), fire truck ladder bit, 'salt corrosion' via laser beam, Aston Martin on frozen lake (still in shed), wheelie-poppin' big rig, Q-Boat launching onto Thames through MI6 HQ's outer wall, CGI para-surfing.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Alex wrote:

Makes me laugh every time, though :)) Then again, I probably enjoy Carver more than just about anyone else here... ;%

There was a prolonged period, during this film series, where I cringed a lot. Or perhaps it was just one very long cringe :#

My top contenders: spiral jump slide whistle, the pigeon, lovestruck Jaws, scoring hockey goals with goons, Tarzan yell, Q in Union Flag balloon, Beach Boys, car split in two by collision in Paris, City Hall Fire ("Jaaaaameees! Don't leeeeaaaavvveee meeee!!!"), fire truck ladder bit, 'salt corrosion' via laser beam, Aston Martin on frozen lake (still in shed), wheelie-poppin' big rig, Q-Boat launching onto Thames through MI6 HQ's outer wall, CGI para-surfing.

1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,995Quartermasters

I'm afraid to ask :o
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Lol it starts with S, im just amazed at how many! lol

"Better make that two."
  • zaphodzaphod Posts: 1,183MI6 Agent
    Most of the 70's Bond films are one long cringe for me, and all the usual suspects have been rounded up in this thread and I agree with all of them. For me though the " I have no Armour left" speech in CR always makes me wince. I think it's that in a movie with such good performances and dialouge it seems like a real low point, whereas most of the 70's cringefests seem to blur. This happens again with some real clunkers left over from the earlier script intended for 'The Jolly Roger' (Cello case, 'salt corrosion...) clunkers in LTD which again stick out and seem far worse for being part of an overall excellent contribution to the series.
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    Agree with most of the posts.

Off the top of my head mine include:
    FRWL: I think my mouth is too big speak
    YOLT: Bond a chinese person
    DAF: Most of this film
    LALD: Sheriff Pepper, Death scene of Kananga
    TMWTGG: Sheriff Pepper, Car jump music
    TSWLM: Some of the special effects
    MR : Gondola scene
    OP: Balloon scene with Q
    AVTAK: Beach boys
    DAD: Invisible car

The worst for me though has to be Jaws falling in love in MR

TBH I think most of the Roger Moore films will contain at least one of these moments.
  • bacaretbacaret ArizonaPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    I agree that there is alot of cringe moments in the Roger Moore era, but I also think thats the way those 70's movies were played. Whith a wink and a raised eyebrow, they do seem rather silly now, but I remember seeing those movies back then and they seemed pretty cool then.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    How about the awful library footage of a volcanic eruption at the "climax" of YOLT?

MR - Corinne's "I never learned to read" line. How bad a day did the writer have when he had to go with that to end the seduction scene?

To be honest, most Bond films have a cringe moment or two; in DAD it lasted for the second hour of the movie.
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    stumac7 wrote:

YOLT: Bond a chinese person

He definitely was Japanese...which makes it that much more believable. :v

The volcano moment in that movie was pretty bad too.

I think one of the most cringeworthy moments for me is when RM's Bond forces himself upon Octopussy. :#
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Here's a personal favorite I haven't seen yet.

From Thunderball:

"Tell him Paula's dead."
    "Okay."

It looks bad in writing, but it's made worse by the delivery. Trust me, this is a gem.
  • scurr01scurr01 AustraliaPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    Roger Moore in AVTAK -Looks more like the Mummy Returns he's so ancient- and then sleeping with Grace Jones.... creepy
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Osato wrote:
    MR - Corinne's "I never learned to read" line. How bad a day did the writer have when he had to go with that to end the seduction scene?

In fairness to Christopher Wood, he didn't write that - it was an on-set improvisation which he was very unhappy about. (His line was, "What list?", which survives in the novelisation).

He did, however, write the double taking pigeon, which is the most cringeworthy moment in the series for me, because it's silly, it compounds the horror of the Bondola, and it's badly done.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    I know this one is a bit unfair because its 'fashion', but Connery's terry towelling romper suit in Goldfinger always makes me cringe.

Mind you, he almost gets away with it -imagine how camp it would have been if Roger was wearing it! :v