Arnott Supercharger

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
edited December 2008 in James Bond Literature
Fleming fitted an Arnott Supercharger to Bond's custom Bentley, the "Locomotive". Although the Arnott Supercharger was a real item and is talked about in it's own literature as being fitted to Bentley's, I have never seen it. I've seen them mostly on MG's and early VW Beetles. Moreover, my knowledge of the Arnott was that it was a "vane" type supercharger that was dependant on engine speed, and therefore constantly on. I'm not aware of it being activated by a "magnetic clutch". Anybody have any real world info on this bit of Fleming?
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Anybody have any insight on this?

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    I'd never really thought about it, but yes, if Fleming was implying that the supercharger could be turned on and off that would be very odd. I've seen a few big supercharged Bentleys of this time, but I'm not sure who the superchargers were made by.
    Well, I'm glad someone responded. Thanks. I've always been fascinated by the Fleming Bond cars. Bond's personal cars are invariably customized in some way either by a supercharger or custom body work. The Arnott supercharger seems to have been fitted to a lot of cars with relatively small displacement engines. It would be nice to see one of these actually fitted to a period Bentley. I guess, as always, I'll have to invest in a book on vintage Bentley's to get the answer.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    It's been some years since I last read Fleming (yes I know, bad habit, but I've many other books to catch up on), but I always thought that it was an Amherst-Villiers supercharger. On that note, I also visit the FlyPast Magazine forum (old aeroplanes) and someone mentioned there that they were writing "The Man Who Supercharged 007" (or James Bond, can't remember which), which is to be a biography on Amherst-Villiers.
    It's been some years since I last read Fleming (yes I know, bad habit, but I've many other books to catch up on), but I always thought that it was an Amherst-Villiers supercharger. On that note, I also visit the FlyPast Magazine forum (old aeroplanes) and someone mentioned there that they were writing "The Man Who Supercharged 007" (or James Bond, can't remember which), which is to be a biography on Amherst-Villiers.

The Amherst Villers supercharger was on Bond's first Bentley, the 4 1/2 liter Bentley Blower. The Arnott supercharger was on Bond's later Bentley with the custom bodywork, referred to as the locomotive.

Because of Bond, I have a fascination with supercharged and turbo-supercharged vehicles.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited January 2009
    Because of Bond, I have a fascination with supercharged and turbo-supercharged vehicles.

DG

Same here! Which is complicated for me, since I'm not a mechanic, nor mechanically inclined in the least, but I'm fascinated by this particular aspect of the books---so much so that, in a project of my own, set in 1941, my main character drives a 1935 Ford Roadster, which I've decided is equipped with a period-appropriate supercharger, in all likelihood custom-designed. While researching this premise, I've tried posting on mechanic/hot rod forum sites, and they're a very tight-lipped bunch; no volunteered information forthcoming.

My challenge has been finding a way to supercharge a Ford 'flathead' V-8 engine without disturbing the outward appearance of the vehicle in the least. Naturally, this isn't a 'hot rod' in the usual sense---this is a tame-looking two seater (with a 'rumble-seat' in lieu of a boot!) that happens to be faster than any police vehicle in the county :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited January 2009

DG

Same here! Which is complicated for me, since I'm not a mechanic, nor mechanically inclined in the least, but I'm fascinated by this particular aspect of the books---so much so that, in a project of my own, set in 1941, my main character drives a 1935 Ford Roadster, which I've decided is equipped with a period-appropriate supercharger, in all likelihood custom-designed. While researching this premise, I've tried posting on mechanic/hot rod forum sites, and they're a very tight-lipped bunch; no volunteered information forthcoming.

My challenge has been finding a way to supercharge a Ford 'flathead' V-8 engine without disturbing the outward appearance of the vehicle in the least. Naturally, this isn't a 'hot rod' in the usual sense---this is a tame-looking two seater (with a 'rumble-seat' in lieu of a boot!) that happens to be faster than any police vehicle in the county :v

Loeff,

That's interesting, I know there were a number of superchargers designed for the flathead engine, but I believe they came on the scene in the late forties, not sure. One that comes to mind is the S.Co.T./Italmeccanica. Another hidden power adder to the flathead engine was the Ardun head, which turned the head into a hemi-head. The Ardun was designed for the flathead by Zora Arkus Duntov of Corvette fame. Not sure what the time frame of this design was, I'd have to search through all my various hot rod and car magazines. The Rodders Journal is a good resource for this type of information, I highly reccomend it.

Of course some of the Auburn, Cord and Duesnbergs
    came with superchargers. The Auburn Speedster comes to mind, rated to go over 100mph when built. This may not work, however, because you are trying to build a "sleeper" for your character.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Loeff,

I think you are looking for the McCulloch supercharger available for the flathead V8 from 1937 to about 1940. Check out this link:

http://www.vs57.com/history.htm

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Loeff,

I think you are looking for the McCulloch supercharger available for the flathead V8 from 1937 to about 1940. Check out this link:

DG

Holy Crap, DG, thanks very much. That's just the ticket. Although the boost apparently wasn't tremendous, it occurs at high rpm (which works for my piece), and I can always assert that the guy who worked on it was able to 'get more out of it' than the average grease monkey. Plus my man's roadster is tricked out with an outsized carburetor, dual exhaust, etc., so it will do what I need it to do. But more importantly, it sounds good B-)

I'm in your debt, sir {[]
    Loeff,

DG

Holy Crap, DG, thanks very much. That's just the ticket. Although the boost apparently wasn't tremendous, it occurs at high rpm (which works for my piece), and I can always assert that the guy who worked on it was able to 'get more out of it' than the average grease monkey. Plus my man's roadster is tricked out with an outsized carburetor, dual exhaust, etc., so it will do what I need it to do. But more importantly, it sounds good B-)

I'm in your debt, sir {[]

Glad I could be of help. I would think the McCulloch and the hot rodding tricks you mentioned plus perhaps stroking the engine and adding a port and polish for good measure would lend speed as well as the air of the exotic to your character's Ford. As Bond would say, "she went like a bird and a bomb and Bond loved her more than all the women in his life combined, if that were possible". That was a paraphrase of couse, but I'm sure you know what I'm referring to.

As you might have guessed, I'm a car nut too.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Here's how it reads in my piece at the moment (to be revised, obviously):

"He owned a cream-colored Ford Roadster convertible, which he'd bought brand new in 1935, with every cent he had at the time---and which continued to consume every spare dime he collected. It was the third year Ford put out the Flathead V-8: a big engine on a small chassis, with good acceleration from a dead stop and an ability to run at high speeds for hours on end. In the police garage, he had a friend who'd been a willing accomplice in modifying the car for speed over the years, as money allowed: a dual exhaust system, an over-bored block, outsized pistons, and finally a custom-built supercharger. A racing suspension had been added a few months ago, and he was now reasonably confident that the Ford could get him out of anything he might get himself into---he knew, for a fact, that it was faster than any police car in Miami-Dade county, and he drove it with practiced abandon."

1935fordroadstercream1cq3.jpg
    edited January 2009
    Here's how it reads in my piece at the moment (to be revised, obviously):

"He owned a cream-colored Ford Roadster convertible, which he'd bought brand new in 1935, with every cent he had at the time---and which continued to consume every spare dime he collected. It was the third year Ford put out the Flathead V-8: a big engine on a small chassis, with good acceleration from a dead stop and an ability to run at high speeds for hours on end. In the police garage, he had a friend who'd been a willing accomplice in modifying the car for speed over the years, as money allowed: a dual exhaust system, an over-bored block, outsized pistons, and finally a custom-built supercharger. A racing suspension had been added a few months ago, and he was now reasonably confident that the Ford could get him out of anything he might get himself into---he knew, for a fact, that it was faster than any police car in Miami-Dade county, and he drove it with practiced abandon."

1935fordroadstercream1cq3.jpg

Loeff,

That's very good. Boy do I know about putting duckets away on speed equipment on a car. Sounds like the cream colored Ford is bored and stroked too. I like the way you described it. Of course adding speed is only one part of the equation, nice that you beefed up the suspension, but don't forget the brakes. Would love to read your finished project.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Cheers, DG, and thanks again for your help with the supercharger. I hope to have the initial draft and all rewrites done by mid-year...and then it's all about finding a home with a publisher.

Should I use your AJB pseudonym in the Acknowledgments? :D
    Cheers, DG, and thanks again for your help with the supercharger. I hope to have the initial draft and all rewrites done by mid-year...and then it's all about finding a home with a publisher.

Should I use your AJB pseudonym in the Acknowledgments? :D

Ha, ha. Not at all. I wish you all the luck in the world. Go get em!

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited January 2009

The Amherst Villers supercharger was on Bond's first Bentley, the 4 1/2 liter Bentley Blower. The Arnott supercharger was on Bond's later Bentley with the custom bodywork, referred to as the locomotive.

DG

Thanks for that, I did say that it had been a few years since reading Fleming.

If you have that much interest in Superchargers, I'll see if I can find the link in the FlyPast forum.

Found it (althouh I gather it's more to do with aeroplane superchargers) :

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85969

Hope you find it of interest.
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Arnott Supercharger - wasn't he in the terminator films?

DG

Thanks for that, I did say that it had been a few years since reading Fleming.

If you have that much interest in Superchargers, I'll see if I can find the link in the FlyPast forum.

Found it (althouh I gather it's more to do with aeroplane superchargers) :

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=85969

Hope you find it of interest.

Yes I find it very interssting. I stumbled accross this before, but could not find it again. I'll definitely be getting the book "The Man Who Supercharged Bond". Thanks for the link.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
  • Paul KennyPaul Kenny Teddington, Middlesex, UKPosts: 3MI6 Agent

I'll definitely be getting the book "The Man Who Supercharged Bond". Thanks for the link.

DG

DG, Mark, thanks, I hope you'll both enjoy it. The book will be published by Haynes in September (ISBN #1 84425 468 2). Lord Montagu, who has a Blower Bentley and a whole raft of Bond cars down at Beaulieu, has kindly agreed to provide the foreword.
    There will be quite a few superchargers for you to savour; racing cars of the 20s, 30s, 60s and 70s; several aeroplanes; an aero engine; a U-boat; a ship-to-ship missile; 20 years of rocket and satellite design; Winston Churchill; portrait painting (I guess you know Amherst painted Fleming); a notorious breach of contract case...
    ... and 5,000 words on Amherst's friendship with Fleming. Enjoy!
    Best wishes
    Paul
    Paul Kenny wrote:

I'll definitely be getting the book "The Man Who Supercharged Bond". Thanks for the link.

DG

DG, Mark, thanks, I hope you'll both enjoy it. The book will be published by Haynes in September (ISBN #1 84425 468 2). Lord Montagu, who has a Blower Bentley and a whole raft of Bond cars down at Beaulieu, has kindly agreed to provide the foreword.
    There will be quite a few superchargers for you to savour; racing cars of the 20s, 30s, 60s and 70s; several aeroplanes; an aero engine; a U-boat; a ship-to-ship missile; 20 years of rocket and satellite design; Winston Churchill; portrait painting (I guess you know Amherst painted Fleming); a notorious breach of contract case...
    Best wishes
    Paul

Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your new book. It's right up my alley. Thanks for posting about this. I hope you can post a picture of the book cover at some point. Perhaps the forum can organize getting signed copies from you.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    Paul Kenny wrote:

DG

Best wishes
    Paul

Thanks for the update Paul, glad I could help bring it to a Bond site.
  • Paul KennyPaul Kenny Teddington, Middlesex, UKPosts: 3MI6 Agent
    [/quote]

Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to your new book. It's right up my alley. Thanks for posting about this. I hope you can post a picture of the book cover at some point. Perhaps the forum can organize getting signed copies from you.

DG[/quote]

Many thanks for your kind comments DG. I should be delighted to arrange for some signed copies for the forum. I'm also keen to arrange some speaking engagements which focus on the Fleming / Bond angle within the book.

I will launch a web site which will have more details in a few weeks, but for now, I hope you'll be able to see the cover by using this ImageShack link.
    version4hx0.th.jpg

Failing that, if you tap The Man Who Supercharged Bond into Google, online stores are advertising it now.

The portrait shot was taken by Russian fashion photographer Sasha Stone just before Amherst's first marriage, in 1932. The famous image of Fleming in the Blower was taken by Life magazine photographer Loomis Dean in London's Queens Gate Place Mews, in 1962.

Best wishes

Paul