Tie-in papeback orginals?

zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
Okay, here's my idea. Four down and dirty tie-in Bond paperback originals filling the space between QOS and Bond 23. Don't get all canon and continuity freaky on me. These are not a part of the master plan IFP has for rooting Bond in Fleming's timeline and these will not interfere with those plans. These are books clearly tied in to the movie-Bond universe (and marketing), a collaboration between IFP and Danjaq, four stand alone original paperback adventures with action-oriented cover art clearly featuring Craig's Bond (that is critical). You don't need a Sebastian Faulks to write these. Just writers who are good and fast and love Bond. If you are a Star Wars or Indy Jones fan, this is not at all a strange concept (check out this new Indy tie-in as an example of exactly what I'm talking about).

Give me four cool down and dirty paperbacks in which Bond battles Quantum in some part of the world. Release two books a year that take us right up to Bond 23. Maybe sub-brand them The Quantum Files. This is my vision!

{[]
www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Interesting idea.

I can see Lee Child doing something like this,and it'd probably be successful if it was well written and marketed properly.Frankly,I'm not sure IFP would appreciate having EON dictate the direction of the James Bond character's adventures---even for four books--but everybody likes money, and such a project could prove beneficial to both IFP and Danjaq alike.

As a longtime Ian Fleming fan,I was at first uncomfortable with the thought of a series of James Bond novels set in an alternate universe where the Daniel Craig iteration of 007 is the only version of James Bond to have ever existed, and where his adversaries all belong to Quantum(as opposed to the original SPECTRE terrorists).Additionally,while I like Judi Dench,the M character wasn't always an elderly woman.

That aside,since the alternate universe concept has worked with considerable success with comic books(multiple versions of the same characters with minor to major differences, but still essentially true to the initial concept,and each on their own distinctive earth),I see no reason why something along those lines couldn't work with 007 as well. :)