Young Bond book reviews

stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
I have just finished reading the first 4 young bond books. Generally have really enjoyed them.

1. Silverfin - Very good starting book, quick paced 4/5.

2. Bloodfever - Didn't enjoy this one as much seemed a little slower, still good though 3/5.

3. Double or Die - Brilliant book, very quick paced and very interesting 5/5.

4. Hurricane Gold - Could do with being about 50 pages shorter seemed to be a lot of 'filler' pages, great prelude in this book though 3/5.

All in all would highly recommend them and there are quite a few nods to what we know happens to Bond later in life e.g like where Bond Bentley comes from.

Comments

• bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    edited December 2008
    Silverfin
    Great start to finish - 4.9/5

Bloodfever
    Slower the whole way through, But had some good points - 3.5/5

Double Or Die
    Much better set out, Exicting - 4.5/5

Hurricane Gold
    I did't like as much as the others - 3.4/5

By Royal Command
    :o Amazing - 4.8/5

Have you read 'By Royal Command' ?
    I want a second series :p
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    I haven't read By Royal Command yet, but got it for my xmas, so should read it soon. Looking forward to it now after seeing your review
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    stumac7 wrote:
    I haven't read By Royal Command yet, but got it for my xmas, so should read it soon. Looking forward to it now after seeing your review

I'm reading it now and have almost finished it. It is a great read and I must admit that I really do want the series to continue -To see him at Fettes in scotland etc and his first escapades in The Second World War. Higson has done a great job IMO.
    I've enjoyed all of The Young Bond tales.
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    Man, I just haven't been able to get myself into the Young Bond books . . . One of the things I enjoy about Fleming's Bond novels is the air of mystery that surrounds 007. We only know a little bit about him and can only guess at what really makes him tick.

I'm afraid that reading the Young Bond books will take away from that mystique . . . it's the same reason I never finished John Pearson's "James Bond: The Authorised Biography."
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I've only read the first two Young Bond entries and they were well done. Time is so scarce that I have precious little time for reading and haven't had a chance to read the others.

I must admit that mentally I do not 'connect' Young Bond with Fleming's adult version, much like I divorce Lucas's Young Indiana Jones from the original film incarnation. When I do that, I simply enjoy the novels as very enjoyable adventure tales.
  • stumac7stumac7 ScotlandPosts: 295MI6 Agent
    Have just finished reading BY Royal Command, really enjoyed it - as I did with all the young bond books 4/5