No Sir John?

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
So is John Barry a Leftie then? I'm not aware he has any honours or title, surely odd bearing in mind his legacy to British film. Has he turned any down?
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Quoting Barry-biographer Geoff Leonard:

"I get the impression that those with the power to make recommendations for such awards don't consider writing film music to be that important in the scale of things. Certainly not as important as being a pop musician or jazz musician, as the award of CBE to Robert Plant and Courtney Pine clearly demonstrate.

Of course these things are always a matter of opinion and they are both excellent musicians, but it's hard for me to accept that Barry has not achieved at least as much as these two have in his field during his 50-year career. Now they both outrank him in the pecking order on the way to a knighthood.

Richard Rodney Bennett and Malcolm Arnold were more fortunate, being awarded both a CBE and a Knighthood, but one assumes their classical work made the difference."
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    So is John Barry a Leftie then? I'm not aware he has any honours or title, surely odd bearing in mind his legacy to British film. Has he turned any down?

He was awarded the O.B.E. (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1999 Queen's Birthday Honors List for his services to music.
  • DanielCraig007DanielCraig007 Posts: 588MI6 Agent
    John Barry deserved a knighthood more than Elton John...
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    As terribly overlooked and neglected for recognition as film composers like John Barry are (with a few exceptions like John Williams and Ennio Morricone), screenwriters are even more neglected. A great director and solid cast can make a poor script watchable, but it will always have a weak story...but a great script is still a great story even with an unknown cast and an inexperienced director. When was the last time a screenwriter got any public recognition at all (other than an Oscar?).
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,271MI6 Agent
    As terribly overlooked and neglected for recognition as film composers like John Barry are (with a few exceptions like John Williams and Ennio Morricone), screenwriters are even more neglected. A great director and solid cast can make a poor script watchable, but it will always have a weak story...but a great script is still a great story even with an unknown cast and an inexperienced director. When was the last time a screenwriter got any public recognition at all (other than an Oscar?).

Isn't Julian Fellowes a knight?
    Robert Bolt was too, but Bolt originally wrote for the stage - which brings an almost expected knighthood if you have any success.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think Fellowes is actually a peer rather than a knight, but I believe it has more to do with his work for and support of the Conservative party than for his screenwriting!
  • DaltonFan1DaltonFan1 The West of IrelandPosts: 503MI6 Agent
    You can hardly take these titles seriously when fools like Alan Sugar get awarded for making lots of money for themselves.

What matters is that John Barry is remembered by the James Bond films, far more meaningful than a title to which people can pander.
    “Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to a better understanding of ourselves.” - Carl Jung