history of the world

0 Birth of Christ
1066 Battle of Hastings
1215 Magna Carta
1914-18 First World War
23 March 2009 Quantum of Solace UK DVD release.

Comments

• A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    yep, seems pretty accurate...
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    That's a rather select history of the world you have there. ;) Oh, and Jesus wasn't born in the year 0. Nobody really knows when he was born, however Wikepedia has it at 7–2 BC/BCE.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited February 2009
    Dan Same wrote:
    Oh, and Jesus wasn't born in the year 0. Nobody really knows when he was born, however Wikepedia has it at 7–2 BC/BCE.

Well...if Wikipedia says it, it has to be right... :v

But you're right; I don't think someone was running around changing all the calendars to a new system when Jesus was a newborn :))

Of course, neither were they looking at their calendar and saying: "Okay, Happy New Year, it's Seven BC!" If Jesus was about 33 when he was crucified, in the year many agree was around the year now known as 33 A.D., I think our new friend Panda was merely doing a bit of overly casual extrapolation.

Many things that happened around this time are viewed somewhat differently by various large groups of people :o

I am, however, looking forward to that last date he cited :007) Funnily enough, even the importance of this is viewed differently by various groups of people :))

Welcome to AJB, Panda! {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    At any rate, there was no Year Zero; the dating is that 31 December 1 B.C. is followed by 1 January 1 A.D. (Old Style, of course, since January wasn't always the first month of the year.) Man, what an esoteric discussion!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    US release March 24.
    edited February 2009
    Alex wrote:
    US release March 24.

Oh well...after two weeks of grousing and and condemnation between U.K. and U.S. cinematic release dates, what's another 24 hours between congenially conflicting points of view? :D
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Tuesday is Solace Green day. :D
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    This may be the first Bond DVD I do not buy. Just don't think it is worth repeated viewings.
    edited February 2009
    :#

But no worries; I buy this one---then the Super Special Deluxe Ultimate Collector's Money-Grabbing Double-Oh-Dipper Edition, sometime while #23 is in production---and I'll make up for both of us, Barry :D
  • frostbittenfrostbitten Chateau d'EtchebarPosts: 286MI6 Agent
    I will only buy QoS if it comes out later in a Blu-ray package deal (where it's bundled with a couple other Bond films).
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,274MI6 Agent
    US entry into World War One: 1917. :D

?:) Wasn't there another World War at some point?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    US entry into World War One: 1917. :D

?:) Wasn't there another World War at some point?

I think so...

In fact, there was quite a bit of WWI before the U.S. finally got involved. We just can't win; either we're too isolationist, or too interventionist :#
    edited February 2009
    We just can't win; either we're too isolationist, or too interventionist :#
    I will resist this almost irresistable opportunity to discuss America's role in the world. :v :))
    This may be the first Bond DVD I do not buy. Just don't think it is worth repeated viewings.
    I'm not going to buy it either. If I want to watch again, then I'll just ask my father for a copy. (I won't say how he came across a copy. :v)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • jorgemjorgem DTWPosts: 98MI6 Agent
    Why are you discussing 'real' world history along with Bond events?

Just curious...
    edited February 2009
    jorgem wrote:
    Why are you discussing 'real' world history along with Bond events?

Just curious...

Happy to satisfy your curiosity, sir. The spirit of the thread, as identified by the first post, jokingly (we assume) put the DVD release of QoS on a level par with various (apparently arbitrarily-chosen :s ) events in the history of the world. All of these pre-QoS release events are actual historical occurrences...ergo the discussion thereof. Hope this helps! {[]

To Dan Same: As opposed to Australia's? :p
  • jorgemjorgem DTWPosts: 98MI6 Agent
    edited February 2009
    ok

You could say that Sherlock Holmes was the James Bond of the 19th century. :007)
    edited February 2009
    To Dan Same: As opposed to Australia's? :p
    Well that's easy, we don't have much of a role in the world. :)) (Other than sports, in which we have tended to dominate, especially when it comes to cricket and tennis; although not as much these days, as well as cinema in which we haven't done too badly.)