Next Novel

IanT007IanT007 Posts: 117MI6 Agent
Is there a title or proposal for the next novel? Or has it ground to a halt?

Comments

• Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Since DMC there has been no news of any new Bond novels unfortunately :(
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I propose "The death of AmEEr alDHlam
    alDHlam" for a title.

I'm sure most people around here would agree...;)
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Devil May Care was meant to be a one off, centenary celebration of Bond; however, it was phenomenally successful for Penguin, leading to debates there may be a follow up.

Personally I'd rather be staked out on a mountain and have land crabs crawl over me than read another Sebastian Faulks "Bond novel", but I may be in the minority on that.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Scribe74Scribe74 San FranciscoPosts: 149MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Devil May Care was meant to be a one off, centenary celebration of Bond; however, it was phenomenally successful for Penguin, leading to debates there may be a follow up.

Personally I'd rather be staked out on a mountain and have land crabs crawl over me than read another Sebastian Faulks "Bond novel", but I may be in the minority on that.

I take it, Willy, you did not enjoy DMC!

The novel left much to be desired. They should have commissioned Ken Follet, who has expressed his admiration for Fleming on several occasions, to write the book.

Of course, if the executors of the Fleming literary estate are reading this, I'd be more than happy to have a crack at it!
  • IanT007IanT007 Posts: 117MI6 Agent
    DMC had some promise but lacked any real substance. It just didn't have the magic of a Fleming book. Having said that, would a Bond novel written by Fleming pass a 2009 Politically Correct editor?
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    Devil May Care was meant to be a one off, centenary celebration of Bond...Personally I'd rather be staked out on a mountain and have land crabs crawl over me than read another Sebastian Faulks "Bond novel", but I may be in the minority on that.

You're not alone.I honestly wanted to like this book but instead I absolutely despise this poorly plotted, badly paced and considerably condescending corrective to Ian Fleming's books that Faulks banged out and dares to call a James Bond novel.How unfortunate IFP pursued and hired a writer who has admitted on more than one occasion that he doesn't really like Ian Fleming's stories.Snob appeal shouldn't be the motivating factor in selecting a James Bond continuation author-but it was in this case.To think IFP further stroked his enormous ego by listing Faulks as "writing as Ian Fleming".What an insult to 007's creator.There are plenty of talented authors who could've easily produced a superior 007 novel.If books like Devil May Care are all IFP wants to see published, then they should seriously consider terminating any plans they might have for future 007 continuation novels.Garbage by any name is still garbage.And as far as I'm concerned, DMC is garbage.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited March 2009
    You're not alone.I honestly wanted to like this book but instead I absolutely despise this poorly plotted, badly paced and considerably condescending corrective to Ian Fleming's books that Faulks banged out and dares to call a James Bond novel.How unfortunate IFP pursued and hired a writer who has admitted on more than one occasion that he doesn't really like Ian Fleming's stories.Snob appeal shouldn't be the motivating factor in selecting a James Bond continuation author-but it was in this case.To think IFP further stroked his enormous ego by listing Faulks as "writing as Ian Fleming".What an insult to 007's creator.There are plenty of talented authors who could've easily produced a superior 007 novel.If books like Devil May Care are all IFP wants to see published, then they should seriously consider terminating any plans they might have for future 007 continuation novels.Garbage by any name is still garbage.And as far as I'm concerned, DMC is garbage.

With you 100% there. I admit to a certain professional jealousy, but...to see Faulks essentially wipe his ass with James Bond is just very disheartening.

As I said in my review, what they need is a less 'serious writer' who will take the writing more seriously.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

With you 100% there. I admit to a certain professional jealousy, but...to see Faulks essentially wipe his ass with James Bond is just very disheartening.

As I said in my review, what they need is a less 'serious writer' who will take the writing more seriously.

I understand what you're getting at by saying a "less-serious writer" . . . but what they actually want is a serious writer who takes great care in trying to recreate Fleming's pacing and style.

The problem with DMC is that Faulks didn't take the subject matter seriously. He said he finished the book in six weeks, noting that Fleming did the same. What Faulks forgets is that Fleming finished his first draft in six weeks but spent a good deal of time on edits and revisions. DMC was a rushed job, and it clearly shows.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited March 2009
    And that's one of the biggest faults with DMC.Faulks believed that the key to writing a successful 007 novel was to crank it out in 6 weeks.I seriously doubt Faulks took so little time with his own works like Birdsong.A James Bond novel--even one written to celebrate Ian Fleming's 100th birthday-- wasn't important enough to him to do the very best job he could.

"Writing as Ian Fleming",indeed...

I'd rather have seen equally serious authors such as Ken Follett and Lee Child write some Bond continuation novels.Short of that,give the assignment to Charlie Higson or Christopher Wood.People who understand and respect what Ian Fleming wrote.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    For me DMC strays into pastiche, with Faulks taking Fleming's style to the extreme, including nearly all surviving ally characters, creating new ones to take the place of old ally characters for example the Darko Kermin cut out, creating an Odd Job cutout Henchman and a Drax cutout villian. if another book is written the next continuation author knows that whilst they should try an imitate Fleming's style of writing they must bring new story and character elements to it instead of ripping off old ones.
    And that's one of the biggest faults with DMC.Faulks believed that the key to writing a successful 007 novel was to crank it out in 6 weeks.I seriously doubt Faulks took so little time with his own works like Birdsong.A James Bond novel--even one written to celebrate Ian Fleming's 100th birthday-- wasn't important enough to him to do the very best job he could.

"Writing as Ian Fleming",indeed...

I'd rather have seen equally serious authors such as Ken Follett and Lee Child write some Bond continuation novels.Short of that.give the assignment to Charlie Higson or Christopher Wood.People who understand and respect what Ian Fleming wrote.

You're absolutely right. I think Ken Follet would have been a great choice. He's long been a Fleming enthusiast.
    Solaris wrote:
    For me DMC strays into pastiche, with Faulks taking Fleming's style to the extreme, including nearly all surviving ally characters, creating new ones to take the place of old ally characters for example the Darko Kermin cut out, creating an Odd Job cutout Henchman and a Drax cutout villian. if another book is written the next continuation author knows that whilst they should try an imitate Fleming's style of writing they must bring new story and character elements to it instead of ripping off old ones.

You also raise very good points, Solaris. The other problem I had with the book is Faulks not only dumbed Bond down, but he made made him somewhat . . . well, wimpy. The guy in the book seemed a mere shell of the 007 we all know.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    From what I can tell, any plans for another 007 novel have been shelved indefinately.
    And rightly so. After reading DMC I had to re-read OHMSS, LALD & MR just to remind myself what a James Bond novel should be.
    But of course if a new author and novel were announced, I would still be first in line to pre-order a copy today.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad