Robbie Williams and Bond

Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
I'm a fan of Robbie Williams. I recently was listening to his greatest hits album in full and I came across a song called 'Millennium.' Is it just me or does that song have a distinctly James Bond vibe towards the start? I'm especially thinking of the 70's Moore Bonds.
"He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman

Comments

• Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    It's a sample from "You only live twice", my friend.

The video clip was also very Bond inspired and a lot of fun... :007)
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,356Chief of Staff
    As said above, the song revolves around the YOLT intro. Guy Chambers and Robbie give credit to JB and Leslie Bricusse.

(PS Thanks for the birthday wishes, Dan)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2009
    Thanks guys. :D I wasn't entirely certain which Bond film it came from as I don't know the individual film scores (with a few exceptions) all that incredibly well. I had a feeling though that it came from the 60's or 70's, although I leaned towards the 70's. I must say, hearing the song for the first time was a nice surprise. ;)
    Barbel wrote:
    (PS Thanks for the birthday wishes, Dan)
    No problem. {[]
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • FatsnbulFatsnbul Prospect, KentuckyPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    Check out the video. It is Bondian to say the least.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,267MI6 Agent
    Not just the video and song, but the cover art for his CD/LP "I've Been Expecting You" is so like a Bond set... even the title sounds like a line from a 007 film.
    I heard that Robbie genuinely thought he'd be in with a shout to replace PB as Bond, but I think he was wishfully thinking there.
    What always disappointed me is that the producers never approached him to do the theme to TWINE. Robbie was in his prime then and a thumping good pop/rock tune from him would have been a boost to that film. Better than that awfully dull ditty from Garbage, which is, well, garbage.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    He was of the view that he couldn't get the gig because 'I'm just a guy from Stoke...' but said he'd like to do it if he could be as outrageous as possible ie he cited the "Man's talk!" quote to Dink in GF!
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,267MI6 Agent
    He was of the view that he couldn't get the gig because 'I'm just a guy from Stoke...' but said he'd like to do it if he could be as outrageous as possible ie he cited the "Man's talk!" quote to Dink in GF!

I never knew that! Good for Robbie Williams! About time we got back to some good old fashioned sex and violence!
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    chrisno1 wrote:
    What always disappointed me is that the producers never approached him to do the theme to TWINE. Robbie was in his prime then and a thumping good pop/rock tune from him would have been a boost to that film.

Still not too late for having Rob do a Bond tune I think.

He may not have been recording much, but this would be a great project for him I think. Labour of love, so to speak.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."