Win, Place or Die

Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
edited April 2009 in James Bond Literature
Has anyone heard of this? It is an AVTAK novelisation penned by 'R.L Stine' (Goosebumps? ?:)) There is a picture of it on page 87 in the October 2008 issue of 'Empire' magazine.

I can't find ANYTHING about it on the internet though :s HELP!!
207qoznfl4.gif

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited April 2009
    I can't say for certain, but I think it was one of those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' type books (you know the ones ... "If you choose to run for cover from the flying sword, turn to page 30. If you decide to just stand there and get your head lopped off, turn to page 45.") Just as they did with Indiana Jones, I think they tried a short lived CYOA series with James Bond...this might be one of them.

Many people don't know this, but before 'Goosebumps,' R.L Stine wrote books back in the early 80's which were a 'Choose-Your-Own-Adventure" knock-off, under the brand 'Twist-a-Plot'.
  • Sweepy the CatSweepy the Cat Halifax, West Yorkshire, EnglaPosts: 986MI6 Agent
    Thanks for that ;)
    207qoznfl4.gif
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    Haven't heard about it but I love the title. With an appropriate story line that could be a great title for Bond 23.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    darenhat wrote:
    I can't say for certain, but I think it was one of those 'Choose Your Own Adventure' type books (you know the ones ... "If you choose to run for cover from the flying sword, turn to page 30. If you decide to just stand there and get your head lopped off, turn to page 45.") Just as they did with Indiana Jones, I think they tried a short lived CYOA series with James Bond...this might be one of them.

Correct. They were "Find Your Fate" adventures published to tie-in with AVTAK in 1985. There were four total:

Win, Place, or Die by R.L. Stine
    Strike It Deadly by Barbara & Scott Siegel
    Programmed For Danger by Jean M. Favors
    Barracuda Run by Steven Otfinoski

They all had terrific cover art and nice illustrations throughout. The first three books used characters from AVTAK (but expanded on locations and situations), the final book was an original Bond adventure set in Tahiti.
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • scaramanga1scaramanga1 The English RivieraPosts: 845Chief of Staff
    edited April 2009
    Has anyone heard of this? It is an AVTAK novelisation penned by 'R.L Stine' (Goosebumps? ?:)) There is a picture of it on page 87 in the October 2008 issue of 'Empire' magazine.

I can't find ANYTHING about it on the internet though :s HELP!!

Its funny I should see this post today -as I was only reading this fun little book last night in bed! I'm interested in tracking down a copy of Strike It Deadly which is another James Bond book published by Ballantine books. Anyone have this one? By the way it is the Find Your Fate series -win, place, or die is number 11 in the series and was published in 1985 the isbn number is 0-345-32404-8 if that's any help. :)
  • zencatzencat Studio City, CAPosts: 224MI6 Agent
    edited July 2009
    This thread inspired me to post this up on my literary Bond site. Good look at all four covers.

http://thebookbond.blogspot.com/2009/04/find-your-fate-with-james-bond.html
    www.thebookbond.com - New Look. New Book. Pure BOND.
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    I've read 2 of the Indiana Jones ones, but had no idea there were any 007!