Idea: Bonds WWII novels

Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
We have the "Young Bond"- novels covering Bonds experiences as a schoolboy in the 30's.
Obviously we have Flemmings novels about his years as a 00-agent in the 50's and 60's.
The Flemming estate should commision a writer to write novels about Bond as commando/agent during WWII. Perhaps the novels could be named after Bonds rank at the time, starting with "Sergant Bond" and ending the "war-series" with "Commander Bond".
Did you like the idea?

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    That sounds like a great idea. Although I don't think they have sergeants in the navy.

It makes me think of the C.S. Forester's Hornblower series, beginning with 'Midshipman Hornblower' and eventually leading up to 'Lord Hornblower.'
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    No there are no sergeants in the navy it is petty officer,warrent officer,sub lieutenant,lieutenant,lt commander,then last but not least commander.
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Indeed, this could work--though I must say that Bond was never, ever an enlisted man. He could start as an ensign but nothing lower.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    I agree it's a splendid idea. Pearson's 007 bio hinted at the possibilities...it would be great reading B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    Thanks! I was never in the navy, just in the Norwegian Army (I was just a private). I'm a bit rusty on the ranks in the Royal Navy.
    Glad you liked the idea! Perhaps Sebastian Faulks would be better suited than Charlie Higson?
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Number24 wrote:
    Glad you liked the idea! Perhaps Sebastian Faulks would be better suited than Charlie Higson?

After reading Devil May Care I hope Faulks doesn't go near Bond again! Bernard Cornwell knows how to write about history, war, and action, so if anyone were to handle a series of World War II Bond novels it should be him.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited April 2009
    Another author who might be right for such a tale is Christopher Hyde. His novel 'A Gathering of Saints' captured, in my opinion, the Blitz on London rather atmospherically...the novel even featured a cameo appearance of two brothers, Ian and Peter Fleming, in their roles (in this case, fictitious, I believe) during the war.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,836MI6 Agent
    I found this in Wikipedia on bond during the war:

"After joining the RNVR, Bond is mentioned "travelling in the U.S., Hong Kong, and Jamaica, and that he joined another organisation, such as the SOE or the 00-Section of the SIS or as leader of a Royal Marine unit on secret mission behind enemy lines in the war or in (Fleming's) "Red Indians" 30 Commando Assault Unit (30 AU). One supporting fact is Bond in the Ardennes firing a bazooka in 1944.[citation needed] The 30 AU were the only British small unit attached to the US Army in Europe."

And here is an article on bond and the navy:
    http://www.mjnewton.demon.co.uk/bond/navy.htm

Didn't Bond serve on a ship early in the war?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    edited April 2009
    In my opinion, though the "Authorized Biography" was excellent (I read it twice), Pearson could have better exploited Fleming's WWII references in the novels, and some episodes could have been more exciting (e.g., Bond in the English Channel and his time in Berlin).

I think given the hints of Bond's WWII exploits in the novels and maybe some embellishments with some licence, in using Fleming's own wartime involvements (e.g., Dieppe Raid, being a Naval Intelligence colleague with Commander Montague from "The Man Who Never Was"), I think there's enough material for a series of at least a dozen books; the rationale would be that the cold war gave rise for Bond's services at least once per year, but wartime operations would demand more outings.

Of course, Charlie Higson is the natural choice based on his excellent track record with Young Bond, in addition to him being suited if it were to be based just on the logical continuation with his treatment on the Bond timeline.

Since people will suggest only the authors they were exposed to, I think Ken Follett pretty much nailed his name on the WWII genre given his rich, exciting and evocative treatment of the period. Follett was a fan favorite for the Centenary Bond novel (an was rumored to say he'd say "yes" if asked) and he singled out Fleming as the inspiration as an author. It's a pity that he wasn't even approached by the "Foundation," or at least up to the time he was reported to have confirmed that.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    I love this idea. I find WW2 one of the most interesting periods in history anyway, and let's face it, we all love Bond... :007)
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Bernard Cornwell knows how to write about history, war, and action, so if anyone were to handle a series of World War II Bond novels it should be him.

This would be an excellent choice. I love what he did with Sharpe! :)
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    edited April 2009
    superado wrote:
    In my opinion, though the "Authorized Biography" was excellent (I read it twice), Pearson could have better exploited Fleming's WWII references in the novels, and some episodes could have been more exciting (e.g., Bond in the English Channel and his time in Berlin).

That's true, of course, but Pearson was tasked with encapsulating the entirety of Bond's fictional life, and (as much as I would have enjoyed it!) he probably didn't have the page allotment to expand the WWII years much further, without making the book overly long; it can be easily said that every segment was given short shrift in this regard.

IMHO, a series about The War Years would be an ideal next step for IFP.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I myself would enjoy reading a tale about Bond in the Royal Navy - be it WWII or present day (or some other era).

I think the present day would allow for more freedoms, such as those moments when he salutes that female vice admiral. :007) :))
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Well, this thread has at least convinced me to buy Pearson's book. I just ordered it.

But until it gets here, could anybody tell me wich unit Bond supposedly served in during WW2?

Cheers. {[]
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
    edited April 2009
    superado wrote:

That's true, of course, but Pearson was tasked with encapsulating the entirety of Bond's fictional life, and (as much as I would have enjoyed it!) he probably didn't have the page allotment to expand the WWII years much further, without making the book overly long; it can be easily said that every segment was given short shrift in this regard.

IMHO, a series about The War Years would be an ideal next step for IFP.

Very true, it was a tall order to cram Bond's life into one book, not to mention making all the parts fit with Fleming's data. I loved the book, though it's just a let down that the part that I found the weakest (WWII) involves one of my favorite subject matters, especially with all the WWII back stories that Fleming made for other characters such as Blofeld, Drax, Le Chiffre and even Bill Tanner.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited April 2009
    I'm with you there, Supes. James Bond and WWII...sounds like fun to me, and it was almost inevitable that Pearson wouldn't be able to do such a thing justice in the constraints of one book. A strong argument for a WWII series! B-)
    Well, this thread has at least convinced me to buy Pearson's book. I just ordered it.

But until it gets here, could anybody tell me wich unit Bond supposedly served in during WW2?

Cheers. {[]

Considering the data in the books and likely parallels with Fleming's own WWII career, I don't think Bond was ever a swabbie nor did he ever see service in the navy proper, unlike M who actually commanded a Royal Navy warship, the HMS Repulse. Rather, he was recruited into the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserves to facilitate his participation in Royal Navy Intelligence. Where Bond's activities differ is that he was active in the field, unlike Fleming who fought the war in Whitehall, spending 16-hour days planning and running intelligence gathering operations and interdepartmental intelligence reporting.

Given the hints from the novels, Bond was likely a field operative like those from the SOE (Special Operation Executive), who infiltrated enemy lines to support intelligence operations and resistance movements in neutral and axis controlled European countries.
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    One of the best ideas I've heard on this site. There is so much scope there for covert missions, infiltrations etc. Bond's two kills are mentioned in the books so not much scope there for an all-out assassination/shoot-em up scenario, but it could really shape Bond and bring in much of what we already know about him.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com