Seeing Red with Greene

ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
IMHO, Dominic Greene could of been a great Bond villan,But got sold short by a very weak scheme and little screen time,with a bigger plot I think Matthew Almaric would of been on many members top ten lists of villans.
The Only two scenes thet he really gets to stand out are.
His meeting with Camille on the docks when he tells her about one of his mothers piano students and picking up an iron on overhearing her saying bad things about him,the implication is clear several broken fingers and perhaps a career ruined.
In the hotel telling the general if he dosen't believe how ruthless Quantum is,to kill him and keep the money.
Both scenes I really like and feel if he had of had the chance of a couple of more scenes with Bond either as a confrontation or interogation set up,Instead he's hardly used and is there as an almost secondary story.
They could of enlarged upon his plan on hording water But ont only in Bolivia but in many other countries at the same time as quantum planing a wide spread contamination attack.Dropped the Elvis character and and given Bond a more physcial side-kick to deal with.
I hated the Greene character on first seeing QOS but with repeated viewings He's growing on me, as I said I just feel sorry he has ended up as a minor villan.But on another post theres news of a deleted sceen at the end of QOS,so who knows mabey theres more of Green on the sure to be released special collector's dvd edition.
I'd be intrested to read other members views on him and where he'd fit in the list of Bond villans.:)
"I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I thought Greene was a sound villian, but I felt he was held back - either that or the script/director failed to see his full potential.
    It's a shame the QOS villian followed so closely to Le Chiffre. Both were menacing, but hardly physical. I found that the fight with Bond and Greene at the end was a little unbelievable, even if he did have an axe.
    When I left the cinema I ended up feeling that the plot was a little weak, and so was the villian. Later I realised that he wasn't weak, merely underdeveloped or unfullfilled in his potential.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Your spot on with Greene being absolutly no match for Bond physicaly thats why I wish they'd of given him a better henchman Someone who could of given Bond a hard Time,No steel teeth or metal arm Jut one big bloke who you wouldn't like to spill his pint.;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,737MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    In hindsight, maybe Almaric would have been better cast as Le Chiffre in CR and Mads Mikkelsen better suited to play Dominic Greene in QOS. Mikkelsen is well over 6' tall (6'2"?)and IMO is capable of being much more physically imposing than Almaric and looked good doing action in "King Arthur". Almaric (a very good actor in his own right) comes off as sort of a creepy sadistic little guy which could have worked in CR as he has no real physical confrontation with Bond except when he tortures him. Just a little food for thought.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Greene was a wonderful villain! His interpetation of Al Gore was fantastic!!! That whole Greene Planet party sequence was a wonderful satire on global politics!

I loved it when Greene swung the axehead into his foot - I still wince every time I see it!
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    I loved it when Greene swung the axehead into his foot - I still wince every time I see it!

As do I.

Didn't Almaric call it Sarkozy's bluster and Tony Blair's smile? A great villain for our time.

But I do believe that he would have been much better served with a better henchman. Elvis was comical, at best.

This reflects badly on his employer.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    The only "comic" aspect to Elvis was his toupee, and prehaps the wonderful way Fields trips him on the stairs at the Greene Planet party.

Someone was vicious enough to drown Fields in oil, I am sure Elvis was there.

Elvis is the opposite of the buffon charecter "jaws", and was meant to be "nerdy" - just the type of fellow you would expect to follow "planet saver" Greene around. The driver who shot the "Special Branch" agent was Greene's "muscle".

EON is breaking the mold with this Bond, and so far has failed to buy into many of the overworked cliches of past films.
  • agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    Was there a henchman in QoS? :))
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    7289 wrote:
    The only "comic" aspect to Elvis was his toupee, and prehaps the wonderful way Fields trips him on the stairs at the Greene Planet party.

What about the way he looks when he sees Bond at the Bregenz opera?

Or the way he keeps fumbling things?

Or the way Greene has to help point his gun in the right direction while he is cowering away, holding on to a suitcase like a security blanket?
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    There's an odd look Elvis gives the other heavy at the opera making me think they might of been trying to do a modern Wint and Kidd.
  • Colonel ShatnerColonel Shatner Chavtastic Bristol, BritainPosts: 574MI6 Agent
    Elvis smirking at Greene's driver who remains stoney faced is perhaps to highlight Elvis' awkward social skills.
    'Alright guard, begin the unnecessarily slow moving dipping mechanism...'
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    In hindsight, maybe Almaric would have been better cast as Le Chiffre in CR and Mads Mikkelsen better suited to play Dominic Greene in QOS. Mikkelsen is well over 6' tall (6'2"?)and IMO is capable of being much more physically imposing than Almaric and looked good doing action in "King Arthur". Almaric (a very good actor in his own right) comes off as sort of a creepy sadistic little guy which could have worked in CR as he has no real physical confrontation with Bond except when he tortures him. Just a little food for thought.
    But the height thing simply would have been a crutch, as it is in life. Better to have simply given Greene more to do than have him lord a few inches over Daniel Craig.