Moonraker Score

chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,267MI6 Agent
Having seen MR at the BFI recently, I was really struck (again!) by how good the soundtrack is.
Barry has always done sterling work on 007 (even when his work's been a bit below par, it's always got something to recommend) but this score IMO is right up there with TB, YOLT and OHMSS.

Just a few examples:
1. Revamped zippy JB Theme during the skydive stunt.
2. Beautiful theme song
3. The approach to Drax's chateau
4. The death of Corrine - a really frightening piece this, more like an excert from a horror movie, brilliantly done and excellent sound and film editing in the sequence too
5. Cable car fight, a punchy theme that matches the nature of the jerky, awkward fight
6. 007 Theme, slowed down, to good effect for the boat chase
7. Excellent haunting score as Bond enters the pyramid.
8. Similarly spooky introduction to the Space Station, which then turns quite operatic, matching the grandiose design
9. Super little disco-fied version of MR played over the end titles.

There may be a couple of dud bits (The Magnificent 7 anyone?) and the gondola ride hurts, but over all, MR score is still high in my estimation.

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Actually, watching 1971's Death in Venice with a score by Gustav Mahler last night, it occurred to me that Barry might have been inspired by this at times, the sound is similar. Zippy JB theme is similar to a cue in GF.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,267MI6 Agent
    Havn't seen Death In Venice for years. I thought it was Mahler's 5th Symphony they used, but I don't know if there was any significance. To be fair I can't recall what it sounded like anyway.

The death of Corrine always reminds me of the Morricone "Dollars" trilogy, the deep heavy notes symbolising approaching death.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I share your appreciation for Barry's music in Moonraker.

My particular favourite bits are the pre-credits sequence, arrival at the chateau (one of Barry's finest pieces ever), the death of Corinne, the Venice lab, the Gondola chase and the flight into space amongst a few other strong contenders.

I feel the soundtrack doesn't do justice to the score, mainly because it excludes all cues containing the Bond theme. What remains on the album is a fine piece of work, but it doesn't seem like Bond music somehow, except for the 007 theme, which I don't like in the slow tempo.
  • GumboldGumbold LondonPosts: 102MI6 Agent
    Have to concur that Moonraker is a beautiful score. It's just such a shame that a more comprehensive soundtrack is not available.