Ian Fleming Knighthood Petition

minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
Hi guys, sorry if this has been posted before, i did a search and couldn't find anything, so here goes.

Over on mi6.co.uk, a threads been started regarding getting Ian Fleming knighted.

Basically, an online petition is running, and if enough signatures are recieved, it could stand a good chance of us getting a knighthood for Ian.

The basic rules are;
firstly, anyone from around the world can sign it, so add your sig to help out! and

secondly, please ONLY SIGN IT ONCE. the regulators check by random to see if there are any repetitions, so please refrain from signing several (or even two) times, because if there are several repetitions picked up, the bid gets thrown out.

so follow this link;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/fleming_knighthood/

and hopefully we'll get Ian the title he well deserves.

Cheers,

MG B-)

ps, maybe simon could sticky this, gain it a bit more attention?
'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
www.helpforheroes.org.uk
www.cancerresearchuk.org

Comments

• ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Done...

and Absolutely JB Essential...

However, sadly this Government is too busy with scandals to bother...

What we need is an MP who is a Bond fan....

Anyone know one?..
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    sadly, i don't know an MP worthy of my breath.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Does the British government award posthumous knighthoods? If they do, isn't 45 years since the man's death kind of late? I dunno: I want to believe that Bond was voicing Fleming's own feelings when he turned down a knighthood in TMWTGG.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Does the British government award posthumous knighthoods? If they do, isn't 45 years since the man's death kind of late? I dunno: I want to believe that Bond was voicing Fleming's own feelings when he turned down a knighthood in TMWTGG.

yeah posthumous knighthoods are possible.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    In QOS Bond says "The dead don't care about revenge."

I doubt they care much about a Knighthood either.

I think it is somehow fitting that Fleming, one of the great novelists Great Britian has produced was NOT given a knighthood.

I'm with Hardyboy on this.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    Shows over folks

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6537281.stm

This will explain why.
  • agent 00agent 00 Univex Station L Netherlands Posts: 340MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    Shows over folks

This will explain why.

Looks like the dead don't care about knighthoods,and if they do they don't get it. :#
    Jan

" Sono Topolino, e tu chi saresti? ".
    http://www.facebook.com/agent00univex
    Shows over folks

This will explain why.

Game set and match, new balls-up.

To think, the rarely right and totally dishonourable TB actually wrote that excuse...

I understand the others comments, and share their logic, that IF wouldn't care.

As regards "rules is rules, guv'nor", I'm afraid the way the Honours system is abused these days offers little support to the "rules"...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Ian Fleming's name is world famous; his novels are still in print and being read nearly sixty years after the first one was published; and his character has become an international icon. Really, can a knighthood compete with all that?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    I mean, we have Sir Fred Goodwin. Need I say more?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I mean, we have Sir Fred Goodwin. Need I say more?

Actually, that says it all really......

and for those footie-fans who saw the Bob Paisley pettition, my point about the honours system being totally corrupt and worthless would be summed up as follows;

Sir Matt Busby Bill Shankley

Sir Alex Fergusson Bob Paisley

Sir Bobby Charlton Kenny Dangish

Sir Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Ian Rush

(yes even he's been knighted.... http://www.manutd24.com/category/ex-reds-and-legends/

and now
    Sir Ryan Giggs

next......Senor Ronaldo of Cheatdom... :))
  • Mister WhiteMister White The NetherlandsPosts: 814MI6 Agent
    Yes, but Skojsjaer was awarded a Norwegian knighthood thingy.

They have only just been a country for a century now, so give them a break. They need all the knights they can get... :v

And I agree, IF wouldn't care.
    "Christ, I miss the Cold War."
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    A knighthood would be a wonderful thing, but to me, it's similar to the Nobel Prize for Literature, in that genre writers rarely get the recognition they deserve. 'Serious' writers almost always get the accolades. Fleming, along with writers like Agatha Christie, are more deserving of the Nobel Prize, or in this case a knighthood, than most 'serious' writers but they always miss out. :#

But then again, why would Fleming want to receive a knighthood considering that Salman Rushdie has received one? 8-)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • OracabessaOracabessa Barrington, Rhode Island, USAPosts: 88MI6 Agent
    Those who are in favor of his knighthood seem to do so solely based on his literary merits. However, would any of his WWII actions justify such an honor?